Friday, November 03, 2017

One TRILLION Dollars



Hi folks. Guess what? Turns out I'm homeless until next Wednesday. Sanding and staining of floors is resulting in my eviction. Every single item that was in the first floor of my home is stuffed into a pod on my driveway, in my basement or in any nook available upstairs. The family and I will be kicking it in a Hyatt with a kitchenette for five nights. It's all pretty awful.

Given the frantic last-minute work to make this happen, I am working from "home," which means parking in the local Starbucks and commenting to myself on moms in athleisure pants while halfheartedly tinkering in Excel files. Athleisure pants are a strong look for many women (but a sub-optimal look for many more).

As I type this, everybody's favorite mega-cap tech stock (Apple) is pushing new all-time highs, at about $172.60/share. Shares are up 2.9% today after another strong earnings report and strong demand for their newest overpriced phones. Today's rally means the company's market capitalization (share price * shares outstanding) is now $868 billion. To those of you who are not scoring at home, this is a big number. A ha-yuge number. Rarified air among U.S equities. I remember the end of the last century, when the tech bubble was at its heyday, that Microsoft's market cap reached $500 billion. This was a big deal to a nerd like me at the time. I didn't realize that MSFT at $60/shr was a moment, not a movement.  MSFT shares would fall all the way to $15/shr amid the financial crisis, and they wouldn't break through the $60/shr level again until late 2016.


So here's the rub - my savvy mathematic skills tell me that Apple will be worth $1 trillion if it has another 15% rally. That, my friends, is a shit ton of money. I have a meager investment in AAPL shares that supports my standing as a thousandaire, so I'm here with my pom poms, rooting on the rally.

There are other mega-caps out there for sure: Google ($716 B), Microsoft ($648 B), Amazon ($527 B) and Facebook ($520 B) are in the half-tril posse as well. But Apple is the big dog right now. At least until the Saudi Aramco IPO in 2018.

21 comments:

Marls said...

Viva post count!

zman said...

Viva athleisure!

Marls said...

You should have moved in with Zman and filmed the whole thing. That would be compelling reality TV.

zman said...

"Money Earnin' Mount Vernon Crew Revisited: Middle Aged Style"

rob said...

there's a lot of athleisure gear at disney. lot of unathleisure gear, too.

rootsminer said...

Good idea Marls - I would subscribe to that reality show. I may even make another run at seeing if my wife could move in. I think the current Zwoman may be a bit more accepting.

rob said...

somewhat surprising unofficial survey here at the park. far more nhl gear here today, followed by soccer gear, then a close call between nfl, mlb, and nba.

zman said...

By my count President Trump has twat 15 times today. Has he nothing else to do?

zwoman is remarkably accepting. That other lady was not zwoman.

Mark said...

Doug McDermott hammered one on Josh Jackson tonight. Didn’t see that one coming.

Mark said...

LeBron is always destroying the Wizards singlehandedly.

Mark said...

I meant to type also but always probably applies as well.

rob said...

food and wine festival always delivers

rob said...

yeah, bron was tired of losing

TR said...

Bron Bron was great, but the Wiz’s matador D made it easy.

TR said...

9/10 arms on OKC’s starting lineup have compression sleeves. I wore them on a calf for a bit. They must feel great when you’re playing or exercising.

Mark said...

You timed your food and wine trip well, Rob )I know you had nothing to do with it). Temperatures just dropped under the mid 80s last week.

Mark said...

Porzingis had a block- dunk/and1 tonight that was otherworldly. We have to get him away from Dolan.

zman said...

Just tuned into the Doug Flutie "A Football Life" in time for the Music City Miracle. Wade Philips said "You know in hindsight Doug probably would've won the game, that's the way we look at it."

GAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Sorry. I'll never recover from that play.

Mark said...

Flutie got so fucking screwed in Buffalo. Right after he finally got a real chance.

T.J. said...

allrighty then:

Alt-Right Now Loves #PapaJohns. White supremacists are talking about making it their “official pizza.”

Mark said...

I doubt many of you were locked in to FAU-Marshall last night but Lane Kiffin delivered an all time bad beat. Even worse when you’re a degenerate who had FAU and Memphis going in a parlay.