Thursday, October 19, 2017

Inside Baseball

I mentioned a few days ago that my professional stress level has been elevated in recent weeks. Just this minute, I finalized a deal that's highly visible and important to my boss and my business, and that featured a self-imposed and insanely tight deadline. And in reality, it was a deal to agree to do a deal, so the work isn't done. But in order to get past this first milestone, the amount of bureaucratic clusterfuckery that I had to navigate with my team was crushing. To celebrate, one of my teammates - a woman who was integral to getting us this far - sent me this image:


I'm now trying to decide whether to laugh or cry. I'm not deciding whether to drink heavily this evening. That decision was made long ago.

15 comments:

Marls said...

Since you are missing homecoming, care to meet for tiny beverage.

rob said...

yessir, that'd be most excellent

zman said...

In some circles, "bureaucratic clusterfuckery" is called "legal review" and it's really really important.

rob said...

the legal review was actually less soul-crushing than many other elements of the process.

zman said...

Clearly, if they green-lighted an agreement to agree.

rob said...

letter of intent!

rob said...

gheorghewali needs to be a thing

Mark said...

Rick Pitino knows that nobody believes him, right?

rob said...

he doesn't even believe himself

TR said...

I had heavy work stress today. Presented for 30 mins to ~69 pasty folks at a small conference in Houston. Went well - I made two funnies that were well received! I now get to play golf in sunny 78 degree weather and enjoy some beers.

For those counting at home, my visible tattoo represents 100% of visible tattoos in the group.

zman said...

Did you take your shirt off or are you wearing shorts?

Marls said...

Golf jorts

zman said...

Denim overall jorts.

Danimal said...

Where ya playin?

TR said...

Golf Club of Houston, where the Shell-sponsored PGA event has been held the last few years. It got hammered by Harvey. Bunkers unplayable, but they think it will be ready by next Spring.