Saturday, October 04, 2014

Week 6! HUUUUGE Week

From what I can tell, most of the GTB Mafia had a nice Friday afternoon. Danimal had enough time to post his picks by mid-afternoon and the Teej met with Marls for Happy Hour drinks. Me? Since you asked, well, mine wasn't spectacular. No, I spent it disciplining children and helping run a lacrosse practice (I know NOTHING about lacrosse). The result of all this is a hastily composed summary of my weekend picks. By the way, thanks to Rob for the Saturday evening jinx last week. A possible 3-0 weekend quickly turned into a 1-1-1 weekend. It beats 1-2 though. Barely.

Nebraska at Michigan State -6.5
The Spartans are, in my opinion, easily the best team in the Big Ten. That's not saying a lot, I know. Still, despite Sparty's early season loss to Oregon I believe they're still one of the nation's top teams as well as one of it's most balanced. Gone is the team with a dominant defense that propped up an average to below average offense. This year's team scored points in bunches while still managing to choke opposing offenses to death with their physical style of play. Nebraska is undefeated but hasn't been impressive in most of their wins including a narrow escape against McNeese State and a primetime Saturday night home win over an average Miami squad. Sparty. Big.

Alabama -4.5 at Ole Miss
Gameday is making their first ever trip to Oxford which, of course, means it's first ever trip to The Grove. The Grove is legendary and the scene tomorrow should be an all timer. The bourbon will be flowing, snobby white people will be dressed in their finest and then they'll go to the game and watch Alabama mercilessly take them apart. Alabama has played in dozens of these big games under Saban. This is the biggest one Hugh Freeze or anybody else on the Rebel sideline has ever been a part of. I think the Ole Miss defense keeps it close early before Dr. Bo Wallace does what Bo does (turn it over in spurts). Things will quickly go south from there and Bama cruises in the 2nd half. Roll Tide.

Baylor -14.5 at Texas
I know, I know. Three favorites isn't exactly "sharp" betting. Oh well, go against me. Honestly it's probably not a bad idea given my current run. Anyway, Texas is a mess. They're down 10 players since the beginning of the season including a starting QB and two starting Offensive Linemen. Baylor, on the other hand, is an offensive wrecking ball. An offensive wrecking ball that Texas players repeatedly disrespected this week in the press. If Baylor gets up early they're going to pour it on all night. Give me. Bryce Petty and the Bears.


Onto Danimal's picks.
Oklahoma -4 at TCU
I’ll probably kick myself for this. Why? Because I’ve deleted my original thoughts and TCU pick and have switched it to the Sooners. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is picking TCU in this. Their defense this. Their defense that. Yada yada yada. They’ve allowed 21 points. Yeah, that’s pretty good. But it was against Samford and Minnesota. You know what I say to that right? B F D. That’s right. Big freaking deal! Oooh, and they shut out SMU. Whoopdee Doo! Who hasn’t? I’ll tell you who hasn’t? North Texas and Texas A&M who each gave ‘em 6 out of sympathy. That’s who. Did you guys see Oklahoma handle the ‘Eers in Motown? I sure did. QB Trevor Knight is nothing to write home about I readily admit, completing less than 60% of his passes, but that’s all he’ll need with his O Line and running backs carrying the load. Screw you TCU.
'Homa
Florida +2.5 at Tennessee
Florida is a team whose stock is steadily dropping under Muschamp. Their past strength, defense, has become their Achilles, allowing 72 points in the last two games. They hung with ‘Bama for a couple of quarters thanks to a few turnovers converted to TD’s and sloppy play by the Tide. They also gave up 645 yards, the most in school history. QB Driskel is weak to very weak. Tennessee on the other hand is on the way up, playing at home as a 2-2 squad who had Georgia beat last week on the road. Tennessee is starving for that big win and their first against the Gators in 8 years or so. I think they can taste it. It’s palpable. I think the Vols win this handily in Knoxville.
Volunteers


Texas A&M +2.5 at Mississippi State
 Another of our many, too many in my opinion, stellar matchups this weekend with two undefeateds. Mississippi State is coming off a bye week and their ginormous win at LSU the week prior when Phenom Dak Prescott (Dak?) introduced himself to the world as well as the Heisman Committee. If it weren’t for the week off, I’d probably predict a big letdown after 7 days of hearing how great they are. If's and buts, candy and nuts. A&M too is coming off a big-boy comeback on the road against the Razorbacks. I’m going to guess that took a lot out of those fellas, physically and mentally. Danny Boy Mullen has got it going on down there in Starke Vegas with his boys a true contendah in the SEC West. They’ll take advantage of the Arkansas film and throw the kitchen sink and then some at Mr. Hill.
Mississippi State


56 comments:

Mark said...

PE's. 'Shut Em Down' is the greatest workout song in hip hop history.

rob said...

dak, i believe, is short for daiquiri.

also, a pick of ole miss without pulchritudinous college girls? stand by while i rectify that. i'll also find a picture of kliff kingsbury for the ladies.

rob said...

the cardinals are baseball zombies, man. undead, unkillable. that comeback against kershaw last night was one of the most remarkable things i've seen in a long time, baseball category.

Dave said...

do i start arian foster this week? he's probable, with a bad hamstring. doing this is like having another job.

Mark said...

Pretty excited for Florida's hire of Dan Mullen in December.

Clarence said...

Marshall hung 42 up on ODU. In the first half. Monarchs finding out that C-USA is slightly tougher than the CAA.

zman said...

Visiting zin-laws. zfather-in-law claims that JFK Jr. used to beat his dog in Central Park at 85th Street. It was a cocker spaniel named Whiskey. The story has no end in sight.

rob said...

wife and i are doing our wills. let me know if any of you want any of my stuff.

zman said...

I could use some dignity, assuming you have any can you leave yours to me?

TR said...

Shut Em Down! Great tune.

In Asbury Park for a high school buddy's wedding. There is a zombie walk going on that will have 15,000 folks. Will be an interesting night.

Clarence said...

Whiskey is harder to keep than a woman and it's half as sweet but
Women without whiskey, Women without whiskey
Whiskey is hard to beat
Whiskey is hard to beat


Shame on you for letting me beat you to that, Z

Danimal said...

Mark, your Gators' D showed up today.

Mark said...

Gator thoughts:

Danimal was dead on about the defensive struggles. Florida had two new starters in the secondary today. Two true freshman. One at safety and one at corner. Made a huge difference today. The secondary features two sophomores and two freshman as starters.

Speaking of true freshman, Treon Harris is the new starting QB for Florida and I couldn't be happier. Driskel is what he is and what he is is a bad QB.

Bryan Cox Jr. had his coming out party today. 3 sacks. Gives Florida a second pass rusher off the edge.

That game was so damn ugly but I'll take it. Fuck a Tennesee.

Mark said...

One more thing: The Red Sox drafted Driskel last year (he was a big time HS baseball player). Might be time to give him a call.

Mark said...

An embarrassment of football riches on TV from now until about 10:30 PM EST.

Danimal said...

Tom Hammond not calling this nd game is bueno.

rob said...

headed to a friend's house for his annual polacktoberfest. there will be pierogies. clarence, your girl scotti will be there. i'll offer your regards.

TR said...

Just found out the back-story as to why a high school buddy's wig hates me. Turns out when I was in his wedding two years ago, I drunkenly threw out the shocker symbol in a couple wedding party photos. One of the photos was great, except for my hand, and they had to pay money to photoshop my hand out.

So she hates me for life b/c I threw out the shocker. On a scale of 1 to Clarence, how embarrassed should I be about my behavior?

Mark said...

5. With that said, I think there should be a statute of limitations on the wife's hatred of you.

rob said...

is a wig like a beard?

Mark said...

FSU down 3-0 to Wake at the end of the 1st Q. Said it last week, take the points against them in every game this year. You'll be rich.

Mark said...

Horrific injury for Kenyan Drake.

Rob, grab me some pierogies.

Danimal said...

Golson has 6 turnovers in the last 6 quarters. He is beginning to make me angry. And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

zman said...

1. Whenever you invite TR and his high school friends to a party, you're asking for someone to do something stupid. If all they got was a mere shocker photo then they made out well.

Danimal said...

I remeber vividly going through the wedding pics of my oldest sister's ceremony circa '94. Was sitting with my mom and a couple of other sisters when we came across one of one of the guests, almost in a defensive stance and with great passion and ardor flipping off the photographer. It was a close up. And only the guest was in the pic. That guest was Sir Buck. This Bud's cor you dawg.

Danimal said...

Am without internet today. Took me 3 times to publish that post for various reasons. Typos be damned.

Danimal said...

Any new Lincoln owners out there?

Danimal said...

Nd's kick holder is on the take.

Mark said...

Notre Dame has fucked a ton of scoring chances today. Should be up 10.

Also, Bama is falling apart in Oxford didn't see this coming when they went up 17-10.

Danimal said...

Yeah, they have. These 2 defenses today though were pretty impressive. And nd scores on 4th and 11. 60 seconds to pure joy or apoplexy.

Danimal said...

Pure joy x's 2 w bama loss.

Mark said...

Big swing of emotions for me to finish these games. 4th & 11 TD pass from Golson gets me a cover at +3.5. Followed by losing my Bama bet but I don't care because it was awesome watching Ole Miss comeback and, as always, fuck Bama.

Mark said...

I love college football.

Danimal said...

#collegefootball

Danimal said...

I'm gonna shower up and have a coupla more cocktails. Be right back.

rob said...

pretty nice day for the state of mississippi. that's pretty rare, probably.

Danimal said...

Rece Davis just referenced Kevin Cronin.

rob said...

gonna be gloomy times in the nation's capital if the nats complete this gack.

Danimal said...

So Auburn and Baylor will be #'s 2 & 3 right? Bama 4?

rob said...

irish 4, maybe?

Danimal said...

Possible but I doubt it. I think they'll be 5 or 6.

Danimal said...

Or even 7

rob said...

ucla ends up ahead of bama, i think

rob said...

michigan losing to rutgers? ewww.

Shlara said...

The cougars have left the outfield of Nats stadium. It's just too damn cold and I'm not sure if this thing will ever end.

And thanks for adding Coach Kliff to today's post!!

Mark said...

I was a missed Rutgers extra point away from a 3 team parlay. That's what I get for betting on Rutgers.

rob said...

please tell us you're at least going to a bar to watch the end of the game, shlara.

Mark said...

Speaking of Coach Kliff, we about ready to start talking about how he might not be a good Head Coach?

Mark said...

Arizona State just beat USC on a Hail Mary. At about the same point as when Kentucky was taking a knee to finish a win over South Carolina. Today's been fun.

Mark said...

Michigan State did me dirty.

TR said...

Hi Gheorghies. I picked the wrong day altogether to let a buddy get married. Two bluegrass bands on the docket = a good time, but a lot of missed ball games.

Danimal said...

Check that ucla

zman said...

Kyle Orton's mustache makes me think he isn't taking this $5MM/year gig too seriously. As does that pick 6.

Mark said...

Florida-LSU was the last pick among the networks of all the SEC games for next weekend. That's a scenario I never thought I'd see. It's resulted in Florida getting a night game (7:30) though so ill take it.

zman said...

Orton just got Buffalo's first 300 yard game since 11/11/12. That's 27 games.

zman said...

Mike Vick: 1 yard per attempt.