Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My New Favorite Lefty

When I was 10, I pitched a perfect game for the Redstone Arsenal A's. Later, my sweeping, Barry Zito-esque curveball earned me a spot on the All-Star team in the North Arlington Wiffleball League, until Whitney learned to lean into it to stop it from reaching the beach chair/strike zone. And that's about the extent of my pitching career, stunted as it was by an unfeeling society's choice to value of the size of a hurler's frame as opposed to his heart.

Imagine my vicarious thrill, then, when the Cincinnati Reds recalled young lefty Daniel Ray Herrera, all 5'6" of him, a few weeks ago. No novelty act, Danny, as he's proceeded to record a 2.22 ERA in 28 1/3 innings, striking out 20 despite a modicum of wildness.

Our similarities don't end at size, I might add. As his obviously accurate wikipedia entry notes (and as little guys across the world nod in recognition): "He is a notorious ladies man, known for leaving women yearning in every city." Good for you, Danny.

14 comments:

T.J. said...

Tim Kurk%^#%^*$^*an is in love with this guy.

rob said...

as he should be

beck said...

I'm not commenting on your misguided love of little people, but seriously, you disappoint me big brother. How can you not have given proper screen time to the absolute gem that Orel Hersh threw out last night during the CWS?? "It looks like the balls are getting wet in the umpire's sack." Brilliant!! As for the game tying RBI, go Longhorns.

T.J. said...

I loved your work on Devil's Haircut.

TR said...

Don't mock the grad school ringer for the 1995-96 Pi Lam floor hockey team. That great squad suffered a brutal loss to Steve "The Bookie" Merrill's Phi Tau squad in the semis of the playoffs. I still have nightmares about it (not true at all). We got stuck playing in the auxiliary gym with only 3 solid walls (the fourth was a curtain - lame). Killed our mojo, despite valiant efforts by a spirited squad, including Tim "Chico" Marlin in goal.

T.J. said...

Wait, that's Coby, and not the real Beck? Who knew.

rob said...

it's my sister, you nimrods.

rob said...

she's short, too.

TR said...

(insert inappropriate hockey joke here that could dually serve as an offensive comment to somebody's sister)

T.J. said...

I'm sure she's taller than you tiny.

Marls said...

Nimrod is an underutilized, old school pejorative term. I applaud your bodacious word choice.

TR said...

A day late on this, but I love love love the Spurs getting RJ. I watched him a lot on the Nets throughout the decade, and he's a great team player. He'll be content to score 12-15 ppg on a great team. He looks to shoot when necessary, but is content to be a solid rotation guy when other stars are around. And at 29, he's still got a few peak years in him.

T.J. said...

I look forward to the Wizards' opening night 5 guard lineup. Take the over.

T.J. said...

What if Takagi did have the codes? Does that change anything?