Thursday, November 30, 2023

Farewell II, Part 2

Musings about the death of Shane MacGowan, as spoken into my phone whilst driving around the region today. 

65. I can’t believe he made it to 65. News of people's passing, especially the famous kind, can be sort of wistful. Shane McGowan, dying at 65... all that popped into my head was Damn, it’s a miracle he made it to 65. 

This was a guy who was booted out of his band in 1991 because he was drinking so much that he was on a downward spiral to hell. Not only did he resuscitate and rejoin the band 15 years later in a Comeback Player of the Year sort of performance, but he lived 17 years beyond that. He outlived his bandmate Phil Chevron, amazingly. He outlived Dave Flynn, sadly. 

When I think of my appreciation of the Pogues and Shane McGowan, it begins in college. A Pi Lam pit dance floor, as "Fiesta" blared. And "Fairytale of New York," a Christmas song unlike any other, in small part because I could enjoy it midsummer as much as anytime. Our buddy Paci did and does still look just like Shane McGowan. If either of them ever aged at all, it’s hard to tell. You could say neither has aged all that well, but did you see what they looked like at the starting gate?  Sorry, Paci. 

What can you say about Shane McGowan's singing voice? It is equal parts fantastic and puzzling. It’s the opposite of lilting, as so many of his duet companions were. It’s semi-spoken, with a gravelly grit the waves of whiskey helped create. Make no mistake, it’s beautiful, but it’s Picasso beautiful. 

The Pogues piqued my interest in what can be called Celtic rock, I guess. I dug into The Waterboys and Big Country. Later the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.  Joe Strummer got involved with the Pogues and Shane McGowan. Amazingly, and not in the blessed kind of amazing, Joe died 21 years ago. Shane McGowan fucking outlived Joe Strummer, and all bets were against that. Whiskey drinking more than... well just a bit more than any other good Irishman, I suppose. Shane was a mess; there’s a documentary on him from a long time ago (2001, ghooghle says!) where you can hear him talk but you can’t really understand what he says because he’s down to a few teeth. He seemed on death's door then! I can’t believe he lived to the age of retirement. 

Maybe he just wanted to stick that middle finger up at all his doubters, reach the end zone age, and punch out. He outlived Kirsty McCall, tragically. He outlived Sinéad O’Connor. Outlived Dolores O’Riordan. All his duetters. 

The comeback show of 2006 was a story unto its own. Shane had been touring for a number of years with his band the Popes. They put out a couple of albums, Not terrible, not in the canon of the Pogues. Word got to us in DC that the 930 Club would be the venue where the Pogues would land for the first stop on American soil on their Reunited with Shane and It Feels So Good tour. Subtitled "Shane... Come back!" It was a big deal, and not just for those of us of Irish descent, or those of us who enjoyed good blarney rock ‘n’ roll, or those of us who had been following the Pogues. It was a big fucking deal. 

I haven’t known many Americans of Irish descent who so embodied the spirit of Erin as my large-and-in-charge friend Dave Flynn. Drinking with Dave was one of my very favorite pastimes of the late 1990s and early 2000s, and something I miss many Saturdays a year. And many Tuesdays a year. We got tickets for the March 9 show, that inaugural evening. Flynn's wife Marguerite was pregnant with their second daughter, and that Pogues show, momentous and unmissable as it was, was a little bit dicey in its timing. Until my mind goes for good, I will never forget the phone call I received from Dave about a week prior. 

Hey, when’s that Pogues show again?
March 9.
Perfect!! Marguerite gets induced on the 10th!! 

That's perfect?? I will still never get it, but I laughed heartily. We pregamed like ungated banshees, and we boozed whiskey the whole show while singing along with that long lost friend I’d never had, Shane McGowan. Old college mate Cap came up to us out of nowhere with two slugs of Jameson for us, then whisked away into the shadows of IRA whispers. The Pogues played every song on the desired docket. (Set list here.) Four songs in, however, Shane made a beeline off stage, and Flynn and I shrugged and looked at each other as if to say, it was a good run, and four songs was enough. What we didn’t know was that he would only remain off stage for two songs and then come back with a vengeance. And a bottle. 

As he sang "Fairytale of New York" with so-and-so (ye olde internet says Ella Finer, the daughter of Pogue Jem Finer), fake snow fell from the rafters of the 930 Club. It was fucking lovely. 

For "Fiesta," the night's closer, I charged up front to the moshpit. At 35, I still thought I had it. I did not. That muddy floor meant I hit hard. Some heavenly messenger in black denim scooped me up and set me upright so as not to be trampled by the masses. Maybe I’ve got a little luck o' the Shane in me as well. 

Dave Flynn died nine months later of a weekend heart. (I meant weakened but the dictation robot is clever as hell.) Shane McGowan outlived Flynn by 17 years. The world is weird and sometimes sad. 

So turn on the Pogues and tune into Shane McGowan today. I'll be heading to Grace O'Malley's (it's an Irish pub, for obtuse readers) in just a few moments and will raise a glass to Shane and Dave and a dozen more besides. Join me in spirit, if not in body.

65 years old. 

May we each defy the epitaph that others have constructed for us. And may we live on the sunnyside of the street forever.

33 comments:

rob said...

lovely, that

rob said...

jmu footbaw coach curt cignetti took the head job at indiana today. i'm sure it's more money, and i'd not judge a man for taking a job for that reason, but is that really a better job than jmu? yes, it's the big 10. but it's a program that's not ever going to win at that level, especially now that usc, ucla, oregon, and washington have joined the league.

Shlara said...

Flynn was one-of-a-kind
He is missed

Marls said...

It’s probably worth 15-20 million to Cignetti to make the move. He made $548k last year at JMU. Every coach in the Big 10 makes at least 4 million per year. The prior guy at IU made 4.5M.

You have to take that job.

Whitney said...

Worth transcribing is what Marguerite - unprompted - sent me today…

Hey! I saw on the news today that Shane McGowan passed away. Makes me so think of Dave and miss him so! Did you guys go see the Pogues the night before I had Molly? Right?! What about our Sundays in Baltimore?! I remember us always singing dirty old town!!!!

Hey Reet!! Here’s what I wrote!! Beware, it’s a little sad.

Wow! That’s beautiful, Lester! Do you remember me calling Dave multiple times that night because I was having contractions and he had to jump past a bunch of crazy Irish thugs to get outside and take my calls? While high on mushrooms! What’s your favorite Pogues song? I think mine is yeah yeah yeah.

Hahaha. I do remember!!!! It was all insane. Mine is Thousands Are Sailing.

rob said...

chancellors of the college of william and mary are dropping like flies. kissinger, now sandra day o'connor. bob gates should watch his back.

also, i didn't know kissinger was in the role until yesterday. i pay good attention to things.

rob said...

george santos now free to pursue his professional beach volleyball/drag performer career.

Danimal said...

lovely whit. grande!

zman said...

We don't have a Paci label?

Danimal said...

i'm guessing most people, other than here, think of sandra day w/out thinking of john riggin. rip sandy baby.

rootsminer said...

I'm a bit late in reporting this, but can emphatically say that Bob Dylan is still a force of nature.

He seems to be evolving into Little Richard, 70 years or so after doing one of Richard's tunes got young bobby zimmerman shut down at the middle school talent show.

He was, to put it in the Bob's own parlance from a drunken basement tapes outtake, 'pounding the piss outta that piano'.

Danimal said...

Ducks Wash game has been good, just got better.
Regarding Santos, he’ll parlay this, sadly. And all or most of us will watch. I will.

Mark said...

PAC-12 title game was as good as a conference championship game gets. Watched the 4th quarter on my laptop with the sound on mute because, soccer. In Orlando for a tournament to close out the fall season.

Morning Gheorghies!

OBX dave said...

Agree, Mark. Quite entertaining. Would much enjoy a day with Georgia, Michigan, Louisville wins and Longhorns in a dogfight (Okla St win too big an ask). Ultimate result a CFP of Dawgs, Michigan, Washington, Oregon, as parting gift to Pac-12. Won't happen but a guy can hope.

Whitney said...

Danimal, it’s always the first thing that pops into my head with a mention of Sandra Day O’Connor. Way to go, Riggo.

Mark said...

In the finals of our tournament. Doesn't start until 3:30. Your boy is eating all the sushi tonight and sleeping in.

Mark said...

3:30 tomorrow.

mr kq said...

Bama gonna shake things up. Love it.

I would have liked to have had a chance to hang out with Flynn.

Mark said...

Happy Bama fucked things up but UGA is gonna end up the 4 seed and nothing will really matter.

Marls said...

Glad Bama won to mess things up, but also Bama and their racist shitbag fans can fuck all the way off.

Really, if you root for Bama you might as well wear a sheet.

Danimal said...

Thought it was odd that none of the talking heads tonight had uga in the playoff. FSU losing tonight which is my bet will make things a smidge easier for selection committee, but glad I’m not them this wkd.

rob said...

it's gonna be delicious when uga, alabama, or texas gets in over an undefeated fsu team.

OBX dave said...

Mich, Wash, and UGa, FSU 3-4 or 4-3. Absolves committee of Bama-Texas conundrum, and it can fall back on simple 'undefeated' argument for FSU though 'Noles offense is mostly ass without Travis.

Mark said...

I think FSU is getting left out. And as much as it will make me laugh, it sucks for them AND it will set them up to claim a nathional championship when they win their bowl game ala UCF. And you know they’ll do it.

Mark said...

Also, the kid nixed sushi last night so we had a nice meal at The Stubborn Mule in downtown Orlando and I did sleep in a bit.

This is her last soccer game. She’s officially decided to replace soccer with volleyball (basketball remains a staple). Which means it’s my last time coaching a group of girls I’ve been coaching since they were 7-8. Might be a bit emotional late this afternoon.

rob said...

i had that day 5 years ago, mark. it was indeed emotional, in a mostly good way.

and i think fsu gets left out. committee won't say it, but travis being out makes that team look much weaker than the other contenders. i think it's michigan, washington, texas, and georgia.

OBX dave said...

Shows what I know. Committee leaned into four best teams as of this weekend (a reasonable rubric IMO), rather than season-long accomplishment. Howling from Athens and Tallahassee will never cease.

Donna said...

So we don’t really watch college football much anymore. But we have this week and last. And I’ve been reading all about the playoffs/bowls especially bc of how well JMU has done. My take is that the decisions today are crap. Telling a team that’s undefeated that their whole season doesn’t matter sucks. This is driven by $$$. Oy. No good messaging here!

rob said...

dom disandro's never gonna have to pay for another cheesesteak again in philly, huh?

Mark said...

Kid’s team won the tournament. Went into the weekend ranked #7 in the state. Will likely be top 5 to end the year. A great group of super talented girls. Will I miss it? Absolutely. Will it be nice to get a bit of my life back? Absolutely.

Whitney said...

Congrats, Mark!!

Danimal said...

Hi gheorghies

Danimal said...

Hi Gheorghies, Part II