Thursday, November 16, 2023

Gheorghe Explains White People's Thanksgiving Food

For quite some time, I've harbored the belief that the best part of Thanksgiving is fellowship and daydrinking, and the worst part is the food. I come to this understanding with a set of priors based upon my upbringing and subsequent maturing among very white people. I've heard tell of bountiful harvests of mustard greens and mac and cheese and hamhocks, but I've never partaken in such glorious repast. I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the full range of Thanksgiving gustatory blessings.

I am, however, fully qualified to rank white people's Thanksgiving food. As our families descend upon us, or we travel to be with them, this seems the perfect time to share. And so, into the kitchen breach, my friends, with Gheorghe's Definitive Ranking of Thanksgiving Food:

Dead Fucking Last: Yams, Sweet Potato Pie, and any other derivatives. 

Fucking disgusting. Too sweet, too squishy, too orange, and why would you ruin perfectly good marshmallows like that? Dislike.

12. Pumpkin Pie

Awful consistency, tastes like feet.

11. Turkey

Boring, bland, way too much effort to cook, carve, and serve. Unfortunately, this is always our main dish. White people hate change.

10. Pecan Pie

Too sweet. Makes my teeth hurt. 

9. Cranberry sauce (from the can)

Shouldn't be as good as it is. My move is always to eat my first plate without it, then slice a little bit for my second round. Kinda like a dessert appetizer.

8. Creamed corn

Okay. Don't love the consistency, but corn tastes good. And the original Pilgrims had it with their meal, so it's historically accurate.

7. Roasted carrots

Gotta cook 'em so there's some carmelization but still some crunch. Little butter and parsley. That's an orange foodstuff I can get behind.

6. Green Beans/Green Bean Casserole

As long as they're cooked with ham, and have enough butter (and cream in the case of the casserole), these are top notch. Now we're getting somewhere.

5. Stuffing

The Stove Toppier the better. Mix it with some mashed potatoes and green beans? Oh hell yes.

4. Apple Pie

The GOAT holiday dessert. Serve it warm with a dollop of cinnamon ice cream, finish it and drift off to fat sleep.

3. Mashed potatoes

My wife got her recipe from her father, and it's fantastic. Lots and lots of butter and cream. Silky texture, and you can feel it coating your arteries. One of the few things for which I'm willing to go back for seconds.

2. Creamed onions

Little pearls of perfection. You don't like 'em? Fine, I'll eat yours. 

1. Booze

Red wine, beers, whiskey, whatever your tipple of choice. Alcohol is the only Thanksgiving menu item that's non-negotiable. This year, I'm making something called a Cranberry Mule, which is basically a whiskey-based Dark & Stormy with cranberry sauce. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm aware that there are other popular Thanksgiving foods, like scalloped potatoes (meh), roasted Brussels sprouts (dig 'em, but we usually don't have them with our meal), dinner rolls (excellent vehicles for more butter), and such, but I can only rank what I know.

28 comments:

Marls said...

Interesting choice to do this food review though the lens of race. Especially since some of the foods more stereotypically associated with POC are at the bottom of your list.

I eagerly await the rest of the Gheorghe Explains White People series

rob said...

write what you know, they say. and i know yams are gross.

Danimal said...

creamed onions? never had, never seen. am i the only one, as melissa etheridge once asked?
my take on turkey is different than yours - i'm an advocate. throw in some crisp skin, salt & peppuh, a little gravy. c'mon man.
in full agreement on the booze though. the best day drinking day, period. one week from right this second i'll be fighting w/myself to hold off on that first bloody. god bless america.

Mark said...

Didn't have time to read Rob's post yet but jumped in here to comment on the comment about his daughter going to see The 1975. My niece who goes to UVA Law is obsessed with them. Has been to over 20 shows - traveling to London, Seattle, NYC and many, many more. And to Whit's comment on traveling to shows - I don't think I got on a plane to see a show until my early 20s once I'd left college.

Mark said...

Mashed potatoes and stuffing top my list. I barely touch the turkey (except for the turkey neck) but I do take home some leftover dark meat for turkey sandwiches. Not much of a casserole guy but I'll mess around with green bean casserole depending on what else is offered.

Marls said...

I’m Team Creamed Onion as well. But, that makes sense because I’m pretty white.

zman said...

zturkey will be brined this year for the first time ever. I think this will bump it up in the ratings. Yams are fucking great. Stop being a putz and put some salt and butter on them.

Danimal said...

big proponent of the brine z, sometimes even a 2-nighter if i'm feelin frisky.

Mark said...

It's been pouring here for two days straight. High winds too. Basically a massive tropical storm that isn't labeled a tropical storm.

Mark said...

I'm with Z, and Dan. Brine is the way to go for a turkey. Still don't love turkey though. I smoke a prime rib for Xmas. Wish we could do that for Thanksgiving too.

Danimal said...

My wife just reminded me…we’re going to try a dry brine this year.

Whitney said...

Mark, that’s bullshit that they didn’t name that storm! There are only two storm names left this year, and the very last one is… well, it’s a good name.

But hope you’re okay.

zman said...

Except it’s the female variant?

Whitney said...

Things we don’t need to mention, Z!

OBX dave said...

Quit eating meat roughly 30 years ago (land-based meat for lack of a better description; I eat seafood and consume dairy). My Thanksgiving centerpiece is usually crabcakes, a piece of fish, or noodles and sauce.

I enjoy most of the other sides, particularly quality mashers, stuffing that didn't come out of the bird, and veggies that aren't casseroled and creamed up. I don't mind casseroles, just not my fave. I'm all in for a baked sweet potato with butter and salt and pepper. Honestly, don't know that I've ever had yams (which is not the same thing as a sweet potato).

But to Rob's and Danimal's point, booze and beer are at least the No. 2 seed on Thanksgiving, and casseroles and creamed stuff can fill the tank to uncomfortability.

Mark said...

If my wife ever meets OBX Dave, I’m not going to mention that he called pasta “noodles”. She’ll shank him. Also, stuffing out of the bird is disgusting and barbaric.

Mark said...

Also, unrelated: Charissa Thompson is about to lose a sweet gig. All time fumble.

T.J. said...

gheorghies will likely find this hard to believe, but i make fucking decadent mashed potatoes, so i'd rank them #2... because of course booze is #1

turkey - i like it, the wife and SIL aint fans...but this year my folks are coming to town so we're getting somkey turkey from a local bbq place and i'm hoping that delivers (also having ham)

zman, 69-hour brine. do it.

T.J. said...

somkey = smoked, of course

T.J. said...

without even looking up what podcast she did this on, let me guess: the one with that pft dude and the large cat?

zman said...

Mark, does she call red sauce “gravy”? It’s controversial.

Danimal said...

Yes Teejus

Mark said...

Zman - absolutely not. It’s sauce. She’s far more Italian than Italian-American and from what I can tell (and hate that I know) that’s a major distinction in the gravy discussion.

OBX dave said...

Hey Mark, I recall you mentioning that your wife's family is Italian. I think they're culturally obligated to refer to flour-egg-water creations as "pasta." To me, "noodles" is a little more everyman and less haughty and mysterious.

And yeah, if I ordered bucatini noodles in any decent Italian joint, they'd either spit in it or smother it with Heinz ketchup and say, Here ya go, Emeril.
.

Whitney said...

We could all stand to go the less haughty route!

Empanadas = meat pies
Sous vide = beef a la baggie
Baked Alaska = pyro pie
Tacos = hamburger snuggies

and an oldie but a goodie
2 Martinis = a couple of bowls of loudmouth soup

Mark said...

Well played, Whit.

Donna said...

Foodie conversation -- cool!
Noodles - what? It's pasta. It's all pasta. Eat it with a spoon. That's my dad. We're Italian, too. Don't eat it for Thanksgiving, though my daughter would welcome us doing so.

Turkey - meh. Brined, definitely makes it infinitely better. Still, low on my list. I'm for seafood on Thanksgiving.

Creamed Onions - yuck! Cranberry out of a can - also yuck!
Greenbean casserole - meh.

Roasted veggies get my vote.
And mashed potatoes. Lots of them! I'm for the rustic-style, as opposed to beaten super smooth.

And dessert - if it's pie, has to be apple. But I'm happy with a chocolate dessert instead.

Drinking - sure. Though as in college, doesn't take much for me. Lately I enjoy Empress Gin with cucumber Fever Tree tonic. And rest of fam is for wine. Lots of it.

Here's to it being happy for all. And safe travels.

Enjoy JMU this weekend! GREAT FUN! Go Dukes.

Whitney said...

En route to Saratoga Springs for a cousin’s wedding. No races this weekend, except those involving car bombs.