Tuesday, August 02, 2022

My Thoughts on Electric Cars

OBX Dave recently asked for my thoughts on electric cars.  Here they are.

I have ridden in a Tesla twice, both times driven by the same driver and she didn't know how to drive an EV.  When you lift off the throttle the car starts the regenerative braking process, which throws you forward and slows the car down.  This prompts the driver to step on the throttle again, which whips you back in your seat.  The net result is carsickness.  The other backseat passenger threw up once we got to our destination.  The seats are uncomfortable and the build quality is terrible.  Obviously this doesn't apply to all EVs.

If everyone switched to EVs today we would destroy the grid.  I'm also not convinced that it would be a panacea, given that 61% of the US's electricity comes from fossil fuelsHere in NJ, about 48% comes from natural gas and 42% from nuclear reactors.  The rest is renewable.  You can find out more about your state here.  While some states might make clean electricity others don't, so ramping up electricity production could cause pockets of increased pollution.  We need to make more clean electricity before we replace all our internal combustion engines ("ICE").

I think Americans have been hoodwinked into believing they need big cars.  If you have three or more kids you should get a minivan.  They are much more efficient in terms of gas consumption and cargo room than almost any SUV.  If you need to tow something then a traditional body-on-frame SUV makes sense.

I also think Americans have been hoodwinked into believing they need four-wheel-drive.  If you live in DC or further south you probably don't encounter enough snow to need all-wheel-drive.  If you're into camping it makes sense, but if you're just going to Harris Teeter and soccer practice you don't need it.  It just adds weight which requires more power, and thus more gas, to push it up a hill.

I also think that we have made insane leaps in engine technology.  For example, the cheapest car in America is the Chevrolet Spark with a starting MSRP of $13,600.  It has a 1.4 liter engine that makes 98 horsepower, or 70 hp/liter.  For comparison, a 1992 Porsche 911 makes 247 hp with 3.6 liters, or 69 hp/liter.

Even better: a Honda Civic EX starts at $25,500 and pulls 180 hp out of 1.5 liters, or 120 hp/liter.  And it gets 33/42 MPG city/highway.  A 2012 Porsche 911 makes 345 hp with 3.6 liters, or 96 hp/liter.  A 1980 Corvette also makes 180 hp but needs 5.0 liters to do it.

Imagine if we used these advances to maximize fuel economy instead of horsepower.  But it's hard to do that because everyone wants to drive a 4,000+ pound SUV.  More power is necessary.

It is no secret that I am an unabashed VWAG fan.  For my money, the best all-around new car is the VW GTI.  It seats four adults comfortably, has 20 cubic feet of cargo space, gets 32 MPG on the highway, sprints to 60 MPH in 5.1 seconds, handles beautifully, and sends power to the front wheels so it doesn't get stuck in the snow.  They're under $35k new and you can even get them with a stick.  There are very few circumstances where you need something else, at least in my daily life.

If you're looking for the perfect combination of utility and environmentalism available at this moment in time, I would consider a plug-in hybrid ("PHEV").  These cars are gas/electric hybrids but they can run on electricity alone.  They typically have a range of 20-40 miles on just the battery, which is all you really need for your daily chores around town.  If you are dead-set on a giant SUV, check out the Volvo XC90 Recharge.  It drives like your typical seven-passenger land yacht, but if all you do is run the kids to and from school and soccer practice, maybe do some errands in between, you can get it all done without burning a drop of gas.  Plug it in at the end of the day and you're ready to do it again tomorrow.  Then, when you want to drive to Maine, it runs as a hybrid for 58 MPGe.  Yes, it's stupidly expensive, but not more so than any other big luxury SUV.  Volvo's XC60 Recharge is smaller and cheaper and does roughly the same thing albeit with five seats.  If you don't need to be swathed in Scandinavian luxury, Toyota's RAV4 Prime has more electric range, better hybrid fuel economy, and is a lot cheaper.  Predictably, Subaru's Crosstrek Hybrid is probably the best deal out there but with limited cargo space.  The Jeep Wrangler PHEV is proof that nature fills a void.  I have no idea why anyone would drop $55k on a Wrangler but it's out there if you want it and the website says it's the "BEST SELLING PHEV IN AMERICA" so what do I know.

I am sure that someday I will own an EV because that's the way the world is going.  I hope that by the time I have to buy one the average EV will be cheaper, driving range will be longer, charge times will be faster, and there will be more charging stations available.  I also want real buttons for the HVAC instead of a giant iPad.  I don't know how easy it will be to dispose of or recycle the batteries.  I don't know how environmentally friendly or socially equitable it is to make the batteries or mine the minerals required to make them.  I suspect it's all a zero-sum game--making energy requires us to break some molecular bonds and that creates nasty byproducts in one way or another.

If only we had an energy expert on staff to tell me why I'm wrong!

23 comments:

rootsminer said...

The hybrid Crosstrek is one vehicle that makes me reconsider my aversion to buying new cars. My SIL has the XC60 recharge and loves it.

zman said...

I've never met anyone who said "I hate my Subaru." They put the battery in the Crosstrek's trunk so it doesn't hold as much junk as you might think. You get a tax credit so it isn't as bad as your typical new car purchase but I agree, new cars are generally a losing game.

Donna said...

We traded our cool Jeep Wrangler (first vehicle I bought and paid for myself) for an Xterra when our oldest was born (19 years ago!). But then boy number two was born 18 months later, and I couldn't get two littles into those car seats that high up (I'm very short). So traded for the minivan. Best decision ever. We owned 2 minivans at one time. The one minivan is a Dodge Grand Caravan that is 12 years old and has been the best vehicle we've ever owned, believe it or not. A Dodge. We couldn't afford better but have been more than pleased with this vehicle. And our Subaru (wagon - Outback) is terrific. Can't believe it's 4 1/2 years old. I'd love to own a 80s model Volvo wagon, but likely not to happen. I'm with you, Z, on SUVs. And not sure we'll ever catch up to the electric deals...certainly not price-wise. I've been in a Tesla a few times - the owner loved it but he swore the Lexus brand of vehicles out-classed every other car he'd ever owned (and he'd had Tesla, Mercedes, Caddy, Audi, and others).

rootsminer said...

I’ve got a fleet of marginal cars: 08 legacy, 08 Honda fit, 06 chrysler minivan, 99 dodge truck, and a 17 outback. I should probably let one go, but I can’t.

zman said...

Stow-n-Go seating is brilliant. I always rent a Chrysler minivan when we go on vacation because I never have to worry about getting all the luggage to fit.

Professor G. Truck said...

my subaru outback was great at driving in the snow, but i did not love it. some weird repairs were costly and it had very little pick-up. i like the mazda cx-5 more.

and thanks zman, i've had my suspicions about EVs because we've still got to make the batteries and the electricity-- this makes a great case for smaller cars. we probably also have to get used to less driving and more expensive driving-- we don't have an inalienable right to cheap fuel and giant cars.

Whitney said...

My dad had a Tesla for 3 years. It was pretty cool, and it didn't make me sick to ride in it or drive it. It vanished one day. I guess the lease ran out and he tried to extend it and they said no dice. Odd. Anyway, he hasn't worked very hard to get a new one, so maybe it was a fleeting fancy.

I've been driving a fairly old Lexus SUV I bought from my folks for years, and I'll drive it until I kill it.

Professor G. Truck said...

donna, this is all i know abut the xterra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmySnudIny8

Whitney said...

RIP Vin Scully. What a classic.

rob said...

phenomenal mini-summit with mark and the teej last night. rtj and rage killllled it.

Mark said...

Rob summed it up succinctly. One of the better shows I’ve seen and even better company.

T.J. said...

I have felt better on a work morning

but it was all worth it

rob said...

everybody fired up for campbell to join the caa? fightin' camels!

Marls said...

Teej - On the bright side, you have also felt worse.

rootsminer said...

Elmo the camel in the caa? Hump ‘em hump ‘em hump ‘em.

I’m currently at a bar in old town Alexandria, training for OBFT while I wait til it’s time to catch the train home.

Mark said...

I could’ve met Rootsy today! Alas, I’m now at Reagan waiting on my flight.

zman said...

Mark and rootsy would get along.

rob said...

paige bueckers season-ending acl tear. dagger.

jonesin' for some bee pollen, rootsy. apropos of nothing.

rootsminer said...

Just got a fresh bottle of bee pollen the other day and it’s on my OBFT list.

Wish I’d have had foresight to meet up with mark. We could have gotten tight with easy access to the airport and train station, especially since train is 1 hour 40 behind.

rob said...

the teej reminded me that we settled in for a late-night viewing of the original top gun last night. i think because we were trying to figure out where penny benjamin got a shout.

rootsminer said...

Hi Gheorghies. I’ve been stationery for the last 45 minutes and still an hour from Roanoke on an Amtrak that was supposed to arrive at 10 pm. I guess my travel plan wasn’t as ingenious as I thought.

rob said...

happy obft for all who celebrate

Whitney said...

Indeed, my friend