Thursday, April 21, 2022

Rally Round the G:TB Family: The Belated Rock Hall Noms

This one slipped past me in February, not sure why. I'm usually far more prompt about all things Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No matter . . . the induction announcement is in a couple of weeks, so there's still time. For me to tell you about it, for you to vote.

The following nominees were announced as the pool of candidates for Rock Hall inclusion this year:

  • Beck
  • Pat Benatar
  • Kate Bush
  • Devo
  • Duran Duran
  • Eminem
  • Eurythmics
  • Judas Priest
  • Fela Kuti
  • MC5
  • New York Dolls
  • Dolly Parton
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Lionel Richie
  • Carly Simon
  • A Tribe Called Quest
  • Dionne Warwick
Whom do you like?

I'll tell you whom the Hall doesn't like: The MC5. This is their sixth (6th) nomination. And I doubt they get in now, unless the RnRHoF opens a side door for them. Early influence or something.

Dolly Parton is the talk of the lot. She graciously bowed out of her nomination, saying she didn't feel she'd earned the right to be in this HoF and that she didn't want to split votes. And then the Hall said sorry, but we're still including you. Way to go, people.

If I were picking, here's my ballot.

  • Beck
  • Pat Benatar
  • Devo
  • Duran Duran
  • Eminem
  • Judas Priest
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • A Tribe Called Quest

But I don't get a vote . . . wait a minute, I do! So do you! Every day! Go here and cast a ballot once daily.

Below are my predictions. I had last year's class pegged for the most part, but I don't have as good a bead this go-around. Why's that, you ask?

  • Dolly Parton may well get the nod, anyway. Stupid.
  • This pool has very little ethnic diversity, so Dionne Warwick and Lionel Richie's chances improve. They're both solid picks, but (a) it seems like Diana Ross would get in first, even though she sucks and the Hall is still pissed she blew them off when the Supremes were inducted in '88 (though that wasn't the worst performance that night) and (b) Richie minus his killer Commodores work is slightly thin. But you never know.
  • This pool has very little gender diversity, so Warwick's and Pat Benatar's chances improve. I love Pat Benatar, and she's hit for hit with Mellencamp, who got in 15 years ago. (Including what tune they both recorded for a hit? Answers below.) Anyway, women are finally starting to get their due in the Hall, and that helps her. But you never know.
  • Rage has a super thin catalog, but they were a force to be reckoned with, once upon a time. Oh, and Tom Morello is on the nominating committee. Interesting.
  • Eminem is a lock. Would the Hall dare usher in two hip-hop acts? They did last year . . . sort of. Jay-Z was inducted, as was LL . . . through the side door: The Award for Musical Excellence shall be given to artists, musicians, songwriters and producers whose originality and influence creating music have had a dramatic impact on music. G:TB readers know how I feel about that bullshit. So maybe Tribe gets in. Front door, please. We shall see, Z.
  • My locks include the aforementioned Slim Shady plus Beck, and Duran Duran, surprisingly. They have the catalog, the staying power, the fan base, and the hair. Rob agrees with me.
Ultimately, I'm guessing, but here goes:


Go vote! 

30 comments:

Marls said...

The whole class coming together at the end to jam “That’s What Friends Are For” is gonna be lit.

Whitney said...

I'm hoping for "Do You Know the Way to Unit K"

rootsminer said...

Is Huey Lewis & The News in the R&R HOF? I think not, but if we could get all of the judges to take a road trip in a family truckster, with a cassette tape of "Sports" playing on a loop, that would remedy that snub in short order.

Marls said...

Only if they bring out HOF member Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass.

Marls said...

If the Dave Clark 5 are in, Huey should get some consideration.

Mark said...

Apparently Ben Simmons will make his season debut in Game 4 of Celtics- Nets. Just my opinion here but having a guy who developed catastrophic yips in last year's Playoffs and who hasn't played competitive basketball in a year make his debut in what is (so far) an incredibly intense, physical and hotly contested Playoff series seems like a bad and desperate decision.

rob said...

couldn't agree more, mark. i thought the exact same thing when i saw that news. on the other hand, the nets are in danger of bowing meekly to the c's, so i guess there's a slim possibility simmons gives them something they need. but i kinda doubt it.

rob said...

really thrilled for my kid making the team at colorado, and i think she'll love it there. less thrilled about the fact that she has to attend in-person practices in may and july. this is an expensive child. and there's a non-zero chance her move-in date will conflict with obft. would you believe my wife is making me choose my kid over obft if it comes to it?

Whitney said...

Sacrilege.

Although on the other hand, Dave is excited that you might miss and you would both be tied at 28-for-29 years.

rob said...

i'll find a way, even if it means i come to norfolk on wednesday, hit the martha wood on thursday and roll home friday morning.

rootsminer said...

Whatever it takes to not let Dave win.

Whitney said...

You could come down Tuesday and watch the Drive-By Truckers in Va Beach

Whitney said...

Rootsy, back to your awesome comment, Huey Lewis is great!

Read this about their snubbing.

Also, check out what Teej and I wrote 13 years ago. Wow, that's a long time.

T.J. said...

the comments in that post are a fun ride

Whitney said...

Hey, Mark. Your governor is a piece of work. Nicest way I could put it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dipshittery.

rob said...

going to see rtj and rage that tuesday. gonna be a fun week for me.

and rootsy, not letting dave win has been a priority for going on 35 years now. it's why his abject mediocrity at the nyt mini is so much fun.

rootsminer said...

I didn't realize you guys were competitive. Especially Dave.

zman said...

Dave would be competitive if he were good at anything. These nominees really stretch the definition of rock and roll.

Whitney said...

Dave’s talents are as plentiful as they are bizarre.

Mark said...

I wouldn't have chose to phrase my comments about Desantis nearly as nicely, Whit. I love where I live in Florida (location wise). I don't care for much of Florida in many ways and never have politically. It's only getting worse.

rob said...

took an inadvertent elbow to the beak playing soccer last night. saw stars and everything. do not recommend flying with a bruised schnozz.

Whitney said...

Got a follow up operation for my 2020 hernia surgery today. Removing a cyst that, I don’t know, I guess the doc left in there before. Maybe a Junior Mint.

Surgery and post-op was a breeze. Then I got home. Pain was at a 10 out of 10 all afternoon. Yiddit. Faring marginally better now. Drink up of you can, I will as soon as I am able.

Mark said...

Junior Mint! Well done, Whitney.

zman said...

Perhaps more in line with Whitney's last post, WBGO did a post on 4/20 about jazz songs about weed.

https://www.wbgo.org/music/2022-04-20/take-five-x-jazz-cabbage-songs-about-cannabis-from-dizzy-ella-fats-and-more

Whitney said...

Slow day at the Gheorghe Bureau…

Mark said...

Rob is at Gaylord Palms for the weekend. So is FO:GTB Vitas. I did my best to connect the two of them today. Send prayers their way friends.

zman said...

RIP Orrin Hatch.

rootsminer said...

Surprising that such a heartfelt memorial to a departed legislator didn't get things popping off here...

Whitney said...

Zman once told me that Orrin Hatch’s Eponymous Act has and will keep him employed until he retires.

rootsminer said...

Hence the touching tribute.