Monday, April 11, 2022

Gheorghasbord

Excellently diverse selections sure to delight you regardless of your preference in things whimsical.

I started this post as a spinoff of the venerable Fashion is Stupid recurring bit because I came across a story in The Washington Post that was tailor-made for a Food is Stupid take. Old Bay is, let's be honest, okay. It's perfect on crabs (and on crab-flavored potato chips) and pretty good in a Bloody Mary. It's a bit overrated otherwise. That didn't stop the big marketing brains at Old Bay from going one step too far and creating this:


None for me, thanks.

Very close to home, though, I found something that checks a lot of boxes for me. Dynasty Brewing was started in Ashburn, Virginia, just a few miles down the road from my house. About a year ago, they opened an outpost that's almost literally in my back yard, tucked off a side street in downtown Leesburg. I was there celebrating the launch of a buddy's collaboration with Dynasty when I heard angel choirs, saw bright lights, and was drawn to this menu option.


Tiny. Dictator. Bourbon. Barrel. Aged. Stout. I mean, come on. 13.7% ABV, chocolatey and boozy, and now a permanent resident of my beer fridge. Got one in hand as I type this (so excuse any mishtakes). I may have to get the logo tattooed on my person.

Speaking of tattooed, a quick update about the official Senate candidate of Gheorghe: The Blog. John Fetterman is the clear polling frontrunner for the Democratic nomination in the Pennsylvania U.S. Senate race. The former President* and persistent threat to democracy just endorsed TV doctor and obvious quack Mehmet Oz in the Republican primary. The hulking, plainspoken everyman Fetterman would mop the floor with that fraud in a debate. Please make it so.

"When I was in high school, they loved it," she says. "They're like, 'Oh, you're cute; you work really hard' ... But when you get in the professional world and you're outpacing people and you're doing things different, then it becomes a competition and they don't appreciate it. I've heard it all, and this is very typical: 'Are you just trying to overdo it because you're a woman.' No, motherf---er. This is how I am."

That's a quote from Tampa Tarpons manager Rachel Balkovec. She made history this week by becoming the first woman to work as the full-time manager of a Major League Baseball-affiliated team. Her Tarpons won their first game, 9-6, over the Lakeland Flying Tigers on Friday. The Tarpons are 2-1 after taking the rubber match over Lakeland today in Single-A Florida State League action. I commend to you the ESPN article linked above. Balkovec is an impressive human. I'm the closest I've ever been to purchasing gear that's associated with the New York Yankees.

And last, but most certainly not least, allow me to wish a Happy Squirrel Week to all who celebrate.

19 comments:

Marls said...

What is the asterisk referring to?

rob said...

silent protest, marls. silent. protest.

rootsminer said...

I've never been commended to an article before.

Mark said...

I used to work in the Florida State League. Both the teams Rob mentioned have different names than they did in the early aughts.

Marls said...

I’m just glad they went back to calling it the FSL after getting rid of the name after the 2021 MiLB reorg. Rob Manfred really does suck at this.

Dave said...

both those alcoholic beverages sound awful.

zman said...

I drank too much beer aged in bourbon barrels at a beer festival at the Cyclorama in Boston's South End with FOGTB JP, then I staggered over to Cleary's to meet zwoman and her friends from law school. I introduced myself to everyone as "John Strongnuts, how the fuck are ya!" zwoman was not impressed with Strongnuts and to this day when I've had too much to drink and start getting too boisterous she will say "You're getting Strongnutsy" and that makes me settle down. So don't drink that tiny dictator too deeply.

rootsminer said...

Ol' John Strongnuts nearly blew a good thing with that rap.

Marls said...

Whit, I think we need to get John Strongnuts and Taco Alonzo together for a mini summit with Les Coole.

Danimal said...

And Igor. What ever happened to that guy?

Marls said...

He runs a laundromat in NOLA

Whitney said...

All of the above! Igor returns!

If Marls’ evil alter ego Nacho Lopez gets a Dorito on his shoe, look the fuck out.

rob said...

rest in humor, gilbert gottfried

zman said...

Whaaaaat!?!

https://pitchfork.com/news/black-star-announce-no-fear-of-time-first-new-album-in-24-years/

Dave said...

Strongnuts, Igor, Nick Fury, Carlos, Dunt and Thok walk into a bar . . .

mr kq said...

Perhaps Zwoman would have got behind the Strongnuts concept had you used a different first name. Like Vinny.

Whitney said...

Or Jocko.

Whitney said...

I like Old Bay. I especially like Old Bay wings. I prefer a dry rub on wings more than sloppy wet sauce. The lemon garlic pepper wing rub with the side of hot sauce to dip is a solid order at, say, Norfolk's Dirty Buffalo.

But I'm not drinking that vodka.

rootsminer said...

Zeus Strongnuts has a nice ring to it.