Friday, September 15, 2017

Move Over Dad, 'Cause I'm a Double Dipper

Tuesday night was a humdinger for music junkies like me.  I began the evening at the historic Naro theater in the Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk.  As I mentioned that day, they were part of the one-night-only theatrical release of the documentary on the Avett Brothers.

The film is good fun. Now, I can't recommend the film if:
  • You like your music documentaries to have sex, drugs, violence, arrests, and general mayhem throughout the picture.  This film is the opposite of the "Behind the Music" on Mötley Crüe. Two musically inclined brothers whose feelings about each other are the diametric opposite of the Gallaghers.
  • You want all concert footage.  There's a lot of studio footage, backstory clips, family time, and behind the scenes of the process. Good live stuff, but it's not Stop Making Sense.
  • You don't like overly emotive bad banjo players.  These dudes emote heavy.  Seth Avett describes the band as guys who read their diary on stage.  Scott Avett says it's never crossed his mind that people might not want to hear his innermost feelings.  And he admits that's really stupid at times.  That's just who they are.  
Some cool stuff includes clips of them as a wanna-be grunge band in the early 90's; lively performances; closer looks at a couple of the other band members, including my friend's old co-worker at IBM Joe Kwon who's now the cellist; some emotional moments surrounding the health of bassist Bob's child; Deb from "Dexter"; and a cool segue from scratching out lyrics to them performing the song live.

Rob, check it out.  Rootsy, probably don't.

--THEN--


As soon as the credits rolled, my friend Jeff and I trucked it downtown to the Norva, where St. Paul and the Broken Bones had just taken the stage.  
A friend gave us VIP passes (her cousin Allen is the trumpet player), and we spent the night overlooking the band from immediate stage left. They were outstanding -- extremely enthusiastic performers and pure purveyors of soul. Lead singer Paul Janeway spared not an ounce of sweat, and his moves were... well, he had a lot of moves.  

I hadn't seen this Birmingham-based act before, but I'll see them again.  Based on their gratitude at the crowd going bonkers, I expect they'll come back to Norfolk.  At least I hope so.
Yes, the mic is lying on the floor
Check out the video.  Paul Janeway had crawled under the drum riser mid-song, and sang a verse from under it. Just silly.  Here's when he comes out...

Tons of fun.  Great night. Damnation, I enjoy music.


39 comments:

rootsminer said...

I love it when a frontman really gives it his all! How could you not want to play your ass off for that guy?

Danimal said...

A good night for both of us.
There will be no Day 5 without electricity. Power is good.

rob said...

danimal's seen the light!

Whitney said...

In the video you see him assault the mic stand. A tech came out and re-stood it up later in the song. When the singer saw that he knocked it over again in a different direction. Highly amusing. F that mic stand.

mr kq said...

Wow nice night. Did you have special transport? You're like the Neon Deion of Tidewater.

Whitney said...

I think the Neon Deion of Tidewater was D.J. Dozier.

My special transport was my friend Jeff driving the mile and a half between venues.

rob said...

pretty sure it was ronald curry. but don't sleep on allen iverson.

rob said...

clay travis seems nice

Mark said...

A total con man getting rich off dummies.

TR said...

RIP to my kind of Hollywood legend Harry Dean Stanton.

zman said...

He will be missed at the Fat Trout Trailer Park.

Squeaky said...

Glad to see all the Gheorghies in FL have power now.

Have to rent Repo Man this weekend.

Marls said...

Good Lord, Mike Gundy's mullet is a thing of beauty.

mayhugh said...

Mark - who you got in the Canelo/GGG fight tonight?

TR said...

My 8 y/o did the worm after scoring a soccer goal today. Kinda pathetic, but kinda awesome.

rob said...

nothing pathetic about that, my man

Mark said...

Nothing pathetic at all.

Mark said...

I tempted to go with Canelo. GGG hasn't looked nearly as good the last couple of fights. Canelo is younger, seemingly now in the prime of his career and has grown into his body. I probably should take him.

I'm still going to go with GGG.

Mark said...

Florida hasn't scored a TD since the third Q of the Outback Bowl. This is a special kind of hell.

rob said...

barnburner there in the swamp, for sure

mayhugh said...

I'm firmly in the Canelo camp rooting wise but I don't feel as confident as I thought I would be. I hate to buy into cliches but the cinnamon looks over-conditioned and a little bulky in the arms and shoulders. Maybe that's a result of coming down from 164 his last fight. I think GGG needs a knockout early or Canelo wins. Uphill challenge for GGG since he starts slow/conservative. I don't think GGGs chin has been tested as Canelos has. And that might be the difference.

Mark said...

Florida has an "offensive" head coach. All three TDs they've scored this season came from interceptions returns.

T.J. said...

well that was quite the ending

Danimal said...

I'll say....and a bad beat....had UT getting 6. Or bad push rather.

Mark said...

That was fun.

rob said...

i was i was watching that game with mark

rob said...

wish. wish. was not was.

Mark said...

Pandemonium is not an inaccurate description of the scene amongst me and my two friends/Gator football watching partners after that TD.

TR said...

Walk the dinosaur?

TR said...

Maria Taylor is pretty foxy.

Danimal said...

Pretty and foxy TR.

Danimal said...

Texas USC is a good game.

Mark said...

I don't have cable and the FoxNow app is fucking me so I don't get USC-Texas right now. Bummer.

Danimal said...

Hard to understand how the terps scored 1000 against UT (okay, 50 something) when USC may not score more than 21. Horns' defense is stout. #collegefootballcray

mayhugh said...

11 rounds in the books and I'm not sure golovkin is human. He's walked through everything Canelo has thrown. Canelo has acquitted himself well but it's looking like a GGG decision unless something wonky happens in the 12th.

mayhugh said...

Fight ends in a draw. Golovkin was more active and the more effective. Canelo more skilled and Golovkins lesser skill made shots landed on him look more authoritative. It's not a fishy result as pretty much every round except for 2 was close.

TR said...

Holy shit in the SEC. Kentucky beats Cocks in SC. LSU gets smoked by 30 at Miss St. Vandy beats #18 Kansas State at home.

Maybe the pre-season pollsters were full of diarrhea.

Marls said...

Cha cha cha

TR said...

Texas - USC was crazypants. Chase McGrath is loving life today.