Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I've Got Love

"You can't stop me. You can't break me. I'm too loving. These songs are going to change the world."

In today's American society, those words from an octogenarian African American woman speak with a bullhorn's turned-to-11 volume. And while I've found it so very easy, too easy, in fact, to dwell on division, and hate, and stunned disbelief, Mavis Staples' new song, 'If All I Was Was Black' is a little bit of a light in the darkness.

The legendary soul/spiritual singer collaborated with Jeff Tweedy on a new record, due out November 17 on Anti-Records. Per Tweedy, "I've always thought of art as a political statement in and of itself – that it was enough to be on the side of creation and not destruction. But there is something that feels complicit at this moment in time about not facing what is happening in this country head on."

Man, does it feel like something we need by the bucketload.




9 comments:

Whitney said...

Amen to that sentiment, brother

Danimal said...

Day 3, no power. Like Mark, can't and won't complain, unless of course we get to a 5th or 6th day which apparently is quite possible.

Coworker drove here from her old home in Pinehurst, NC last night, leaving at 830pm. Forty-five miles worth of exits in GA were closed and barricaded by Nat'l Guard and the po-po. Hundreds if not thousands of cars along the shoulder awaiting permission to get back.

zman said...

I assume all you DC area folks already have tickets for the Mean Girls premiere on Halloween.

http://meangirlsonbroadway.com/#home

Mark said...

Our power came back on late this morning. Cable is out but I have AC so I'm happy with that.

TR said...

Good for you, Mark. No power is a real bummer. I hope you're cranking this in your house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk

The video footage of St. Thomas and St. John is pretty brutal. Both islands essentially decimated.

Danimal said...

Day 4. Getting used to it actually...it's not terrible. And it's good for the kids.
Cleaned out the fridges last night.
What really grinds my gears though - the Kuerig coffee maker at my office just died. Someone is totally fucking with me right now.

Danimal said...

Big day here.

rob said...

y'all hate love

Whitney said...

I love love. But I just saw that Grant Hart of Husker Dü died yesterday. Don't love that.