Monday, July 26, 2010

Walking in Produce

OK, well, this is apparently a race to post. David is still on vacation and attempting to steal my brain in some sort of "Inception" way...so let's see who hits PUBLISH POST first.

[Wow. Dave technically beat me by minutes. But, he is on vacation and I am the Doofus Overlord. Enjoy my post for two hours. Dave's will appear at 3:53pm]

Basically, this stems from my visit to Starbucks this morning. I saw them pimping a Marc Cohn CD...and I thought, Marc Cohn, why do I know that-

Mother f'er, that's the "Walking in Memphis" guy. I love that guy. Wait, why do I love that guy?

And then I remembered. My high school/college vacations and summer part-time job was working at a Shop 'n Save (nee Hannaford) supermarket. As any good supermarket does, we had music. One repetitive loop of music. One endlessly repetitive loop of looping music. 95% of it sucked. The one song I actually got a kick out of was Cohn's "Walking in Memphis".

I'm not even lowering myself to a clip. I need to hold out on the clip long enough to make Dave wonder if HE actually wrote this post.

There were two other songs from my Days of Produce ("...as sands through the mango...") that I (sadly) can never forget. They are nowhere near as good as Memphis...but the do effectively end my typing for this post, for which I am thankful.

I give you the two other songs that haunted my part-time work life from 1994-1997:



21 comments:

Geoff said...

I hate "Walking in Memphis;" the song and the activity.

Marls said...

At work so I can't see the clims, bust based on the timing, I am going with something by Ace of Base "The Sign" and something by Hootie and the Blowfish.

Marls said...

that would be "clips, but"

Mark said...

A hearty fuck you to TJ for putting "Walking in Memphis" in my head.

d-train said...

marc cohn was shot and almost killed a few years ago. i think he's married to a former supermodel too, so he's got that going for 'em.
i think michael macdonald's, "shine sweet freedom" (that may not be the title) but it was from the movie Running Scared with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines

d-train said...

was mine

TR said...

Liz Vargas, though a handsome woman, is no supermodel.

d-train said...

you're right. considering her father was Mr. Vargas, i think she's pretty hot.

Lumpy said...

look, i'm a little slow today. i just switched to sanka, so have a heart...

T.J. said...

Marc Cohn is the best. Ever.

d-train said...

and speaking of billy crystal, i never found him to be very funny.

Dave said...

i'm so hungover that i actually thought i wrote this post and forgot what it was about.

the weird thing is that my post is similar in theme and style to t.j.'s post. coincidence? or is the impending obft creating a harmonic consciousness convergence.

Dave said...

t.j., you screwed up the link on my sentence page. i'm going back to the beach.

d-train said...

http://tinyurl.com/23z55nq
whoopsy daisy

T.J. said...

Dave-

What the fuck are you talking about?

-Teej

T.J. said...

I have fixed the glitch.

Marls said...

Teej - for those at work, what two sons are they?

Marls said...

songs - and I can't type worth a crap today.

Geoff said...

Kiss from the Rose by Seal and some garbage by Blessed Union of Souls. I'm staunchly anti-union.

Greg said...

The Teej used to work in produce? Maybe that explains his whole apple thing.

T.J. said...

Ya think?