Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Gheorghe's Title Game Prediction, Distaff Version

I've got two daughters, as does Whitney. We'd be remiss in not previewing tonight's Stanford/Tennessee national championship game, using Teejay's fictional character-inspired construct as our guide.

I saw a little bit of the LSU/Tennessee national semi on Saturday night (what can I tell you - I was in the throes of a relatively painful upset stomach and I needed something to dull the pain), and it was a dreadful exhibition of sloggy pace, poor shooting, and sloppy ballhandling. Other than that, the women's game is quite exciting. At least Stanford chucks the ball up (in a cute shotput kinda way) early and often. And for that, we like the Cardinal to prevail, 77-74.

Stanford (you can tell me Tara Vandeveer doesn't look like Beaker, but you'd be wrong) vs. Tennessee (no fictional homage would be any better than this eye candy)


Oh, and free throws are huge.

23 comments:

rob said...

the big lead has a 2008-09 ncaa top 10 up this afternoon. no quibbles with that - it is a sports blog, after all. but he makes the assumption that hansbrough and love return to college next year. anyone believe either of those things will happen?

zman said...

No. Thanks for throwing me the free throw bone.

T.J. said...

Does this mean I need to "prep" for that WNBA Draft column again?

rob said...

it would seem so, indeed.

Whitney said...

Of course, I'm not sure such a patronizing post is exactly what our daughters will one day be proud of from us.

I am sure that I will not be watching the final tonight. The Family Guy slag on the WNBA last night pretty much also sums up this game for a lot of dudes.

rob said...

my hope is that my daughters use this post as fuel in their lifelong quest to prove their father wrong. it's part of a grand strategy to have them buck the freudian trend and marry tall dudes.

Mark said...

That UT-LSU game should be required viewing for anybody who tries to assert the great level of fundamentals present in the women's game. It was positively awful to watch on so many different levels. FT shooting alone was enough to make Dr. Naismith roll over in his dirty Canadian grave.

Whitney said...

Rob, your prediction for the final makes it seem as if you watched almost no women's college basketball at all this year.

T.J. said...

Yep, I like this quite a bit

rob said...

you would think so, wouldn't you whit. stupid stanford.

Mark said...

Well, people like Rob somehow allowed Summitt and Vols to play the completely ludicrous underdog card in last night's post game. Spare me.

Yep, when I think underdog I think of a program with 8 national titles.

rob said...

i do have quite a bit of influence in the women's college game.

Mark said...

So...does ESPN pay people to sit in the studio for the WNBA Draft?

Mark said...

TJ...I think this latest version of your fantasy team name (what is that 30 now?) is by far the best yet.

T.J. said...

And most accurate.

Mark said...

Trent Johnson is going to be named the Head Coach at LSU? Isn't that a downgrade for him?

T.J. said...

I'd say so...why do these guys want the LSU job? It might be in the SEC but it is a middling program at best.

T.J. said...

Is it OK for me to remind Orioles and Royals fans their teams have only played 7 of 162 games?

T.J. said...

The Wiz are feeling it...

T.J. said...

That 3-0 start seems awfully long ago for the Nats when you're getting worked over by the Marlins again.

Mark said...

Sometimes I think Bruce Bowen kills kittens in his spare time.

T.J. said...

Unreal...I just read they plan to make another Short Circuit.

Johnny 5 does not like this at all.

T.J. said...

Hold the phone (booth) - they're making another Bill and Ted's too? Those lazy fucks.