Friday, June 08, 2007

Dear Riggo

Dear Riggo,

I love you. In a purely heterosexual way. Let's make that clear. I loved you back in the 80s for all those punishing runs, for the touchdown in Super Bowl XVII against the Dolphins, for loosening up Sandra Day O'Connor, for all of it. I loved you in more recent years for your unapologetically anti-corporate musings on the NFL and the Redskins in whatever medium was smart enough to make you available for public consumption. I love you today for the chaotic, rambling, singular lunacy you choreograph every afternoon on The John Riggins Show. Casting you in the role of the avuncular host of that program was sheer radio programming genius.

But Riggo, we gotta talk. Or, more to the point, you gotta talk less. I don't mean in general - the very best moments of The John Riggins Show occur when you regale the still-awestruck Kevin Sheehan and Gary Braun with tales of the 5 O'Clock Club, when you open a small window into Being John Riggins. That's mesmerizing stuff, and keeps me riveted.

Riveted, that is, right up until a guest calls in and you try to interview him or her. The following isn't an actual transcript of one of your interviews - more an homage - but I think it sufficiently captures the flavor of the John Riggins Interview Experience. Let's pretend you're talking to Senator George Allen about steroids in baseball:
So, Senator, I'm reading about George Mitchell's investigation of steroids in baseball, and I'm wondering how such an investigation comes about. I mean, what does Congress do with that investigation and how does it start? It occurs to me that maybe, you know, Congress shouldn't really be involved in this issue, but at the same time it's clear that all these guys were probably doing something they shouldn't have, but maybe we don't really know all the facts, or maybe we know the facts but don't want to - you know, like the ostrich typically puts its' head in the sand, well actually not the ostrich - that's kinda of an old wives tale - it's really the emu. Did I tell you about the time me and Gooch Walker shot an emu in Russia - kind of a wild deal, because we weren't sure that it was legal. There was a lot of vodka involved. Man. I guess what I'm trying to say is do you think baseball should be investigating the past?
See what I mean? I'm at the point now where I generally change the channel when you start asking somebody questions. It certainly helps that Czabe and Andy are now on opposite you - back when John Thompson's crotchety mumblings held that slot, I was nearly driven to listening to NPR while you wandered around the back 40, metaphorically.

I'm still with you - most of the time. And so are the hundreds of thousands of guys like me in your listening audience that still worship you for those touchdowns, but more importantly for your irreverance, your steadfast commitment to being yourself, and the unbelievable life you continue to lead. Just let Gary and Kevin do the talking when you've got a guest, and we'll all be cool, mmmkay?

Hugs and Kisses,

Gheorghe: The Blog

51 comments:

Geoff said...

TJ and I got to enjoy Riggo weighing in on professional hockey the other day. He mentioned in passing that he believed the NHL franchise in Colorado was the "Denver Gold Rush." And then TJ and I laughed.

T.J. said...

I'm still laughing...

Geoff said...

Yes or No: Is Tony Soprano alive at 1:15pm Sunday night? I'll start. No.

rob said...

1:15 pm sunday night? is this a trick question?

he will survive the final episode, though.

kungpao said...

Yes, but tragically diminished somehow.

kungpao said...

You realize that if Riggo didn't say things like that he'd be sitting next to Joe Buck on Sundays, calling FOX's prime time games.

As it is, he's too eccentric for national TV, and is as a result forever bound to our distinctly rich local sports culture. I love it.

Valencia has Paella, New Orleans has Jazz, Buenos Aires has the Tango, we have The Riggo.

Loosen up, Sandy Baby.

Mark said...

Yes.

On a semi-related note: Does anybody have a clue what "John from Cincinnati" is supposed to be about?

Geoff said...

Yeah,...well, actually no... I read a Rolling Stone article about it, but I still can't understand what it's about. But it's got Luke Perry in it...which I like...but no Ian Ziering...which I don't.

Geoff said...

Oh, and make that 10:15.

Mark said...

I was similarly disappointed when Perry appeared on "Oz" sans Ziering.

I thought I noticed something about the main character (I assume this is John) being a former professional surfer but that could've been the result of one too many Sunday evening papal elections.

Geoff said...

Well, the commercials certainly aren't helping me understand.

Mark said...

Yeah, why exactly is he floating?

rob said...

kungpao - i love what he says, i just wish in the interview forum he'd say it a lot goddamn quicker.

kungpao said...

True, True...

The Redskins Report is his best medium.

Greg said...

This is for Whit-dog. The only other true yacht-rock enthusiast.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9NJgACcpeo

Whitney said...

The only thing that keeps me going when I'm down is truly smooth music.

T.J. said...

I say Tony is dead, but not without taking down 3 to 4 of the NY crew first.

T.J. said...

The anticipation is killing me, though not as much as the traffic that almost killed the ride home from CT before it even began. The reason for all the traffic? The fucking Puerto Rican Day parade. My road trip traffic luck sucks balls.

T.J. said...

I imagine last night's finale is being slaughtered by the viewing public and the media, but I for one am OK with it. Sure, David Chase is an arrogant prick who feels he knows what is best for the audience, but just because there was no official closure doesn't mean the finale sucked. I have no problem noodling in my head all the possibilities of how it ended...I've actually been thinking about it since last night. I can only guess that was the effect Chase wanted the viewer to have...

And let's be honest, if there was ever a thought of a follow-up movie, it had to end that way.

T.J. said...

All that being said, yes, I am dissappointed we didn't see Paulie or Tony's brains splattered on some wall...but it is what it is. For 8 years that show yanked our chains, and as it turns out, last night was no different.

rob said...

i thought it was brilliant. each of us is left to create our own ending.

rob said...

i thought it was brilliant. each of us is left to create our own ending.

rob said...

so brilliant, in fact, that i had to say it twice.

T.J. said...

This was to be expected...

rob said...

the wheelhouse is also displeased.

T.J. said...

Listen, I totally understand why people would be pissed. David Chase is an egotistical cock muncher, and showed it again last night. That being said, I was OK with the finale.

The best hour of televison last night was actually on Comedy Central at 10pm...Brian Regan slayed me once again.

Mark said...

Teej. You should check out the Demtri Martin special on Comedy Central. Hi-larious.

I was left with the thought that Chase had gotten in one last laugh at all of our expenses last night. He's never quite gone the way the public anticipated (or wanted, for that matter) and last night was his coup de gras.

That said, I was still pissed of when I woke up this morning. If it hadn't been for Phils' death scene I might've had to beat my dog last night.

My gf brought up the movie angle but I've got a hard time seeing Chase make it happen at this point. There's just too many characters who've been eliminated. Finally, I didn't want to draw my own conclusions. I was watching in order to have them drawn for me. I'm lazy like that.

David Chase should go to work for the Spurs.

T.J. said...

Here's a poll question for the douches at ESPN - What Sunday night program was worse, the Sopranos finale or Game 2 of the NBA Finals?

T.J. said...

Please, please let this happen:

The Nationals are pursuing a trade for outfielder Elijah Dukes, sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

Whitney said...

Why does ESPN care? They showed a pretty exciting baseball game... that Ryan Dempster ruined.

Mark said...

The only way he ever sheds any of his troubles is to get out of Tampa, right?

Either way, it would be great fodder for G:TB as well as the final straw that gets TJ on TV.

T.J. said...

Being murdered by Elijah?

rob said...

elijah dukes is the missing piece to the sopranos puzzle.

Mark said...

How bad do you want to be on Tv sir? By the way, Rob thinks that is a brilliant idea.

Geoff said...

Rob:

This is my take:

Life: where I create my own ending.

TV: where they tell me a fucking story...with a beginning AND an ending.

rob said...

if you want it handed to you nice, neat, and tidy, may i recommend season two of small wonder. a tour de force of resolved story lines, as i recall.

Geoff said...

Wow...just read that the guy who was sitting at the bar in the final scene (who walked in right in front of AJ) was credited as "Nicky Leotardo." Guess that answers some things...

Mark said...

Where'd you see that?

Geoff said...

Just to clarify, the actor who played the guy at the family restaurant sitting at the bar was the same actor who played Nicky Leotardo in Season 6.

T.J. said...

That is awesome.

Geoff said...

HBO.com message boards--he is the nephew of Nicky Leotardo Sr., Phil's borther who was killed--he was in one scene in Season 6.

Mark said...

That makes me feel a little better.

rob said...

i'm a little ticked at the ending to john from cincinnati.

Geoff said...

If anyone has it tivo'd, if they can pull up the name of that actor (listed as Members Only Jacket) and google it, that could solve this.

Geoff said...

I haven't watched John from Cincinnati yet. It's about Jon Kitna, right?

Whitney said...

Johnny Bench.

Whitney said...

And Rob... quit bad-mouthing Small Wonder.

"She's fantastic, made of plastic, microchips here and there..."

Greg said...

Shouldn't Tony have recognized Nicky Leotardo?

T.J. said...

Swiped from the Deadspin thread:

Not only was that guy Phil Leotardo's nephew, but some other blogs have pointed out that:

(1) the guy sitting at the table was the brother of the truck driver that Christopher killed in Season 1 (who had to identify the body); and

(2) the ghetto kids that walked in were the same ones who tried to carjack Tony when he had his public housing scam going

The implication would seem to be that one of those three was going to whack Tony, but maybe not.

Mark said...

Ichiro rules:

"If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying."

Mark said...

On the other hand, Ichiro is no Greg. While emailing about my visit later this summer I received this message from Greg:

" Nice. Right now, I've got a couple of Kenyan rugby players crashing at my place for the summer but I can sort out some alternate lodging for them for that weekend no problem. It'll be a lot of fun. TJ lives right accross the street from me and my neighbor is big on papal
elections."

Classic.