Tuesday, July 12, 2005

This guy just keeps giving and giving

Remind me to send Sheff a thank you note for his neverending supply of material...

Gary Sheffield wants nothing to do with the World Baseball Classic. Several major league players spoke of the honor they would feel to represent their countries in baseball's first World Cup-style tournament when the groups for the event were unveiled Monday. Sheffield was not among them. The Yankees right fielder told reporters at the All-Star festivities in Detroit on Monday there was no chance he would participate in the event scheduled for March.
"My season is when I get paid," Sheffield told the New York Daily News. "I'm not doing that. ... I'm not sacrificing my body or taking a chance on an injury for something that's made up."
"A lot of guys feel that way. They won't say it like I will, though," he added.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

It's an underrated talent to be able to insult your country, every athlete who represents it, and all of your colleagues (for ostensibly being too soft to speak their mind) in one breath. The man is a prodigious talent in this area.

Sometimes I feel bad when I root for Gary Sheffield's bad shoulder to rupture with every swing he takes, but then TJ reminds me of things like this.

T.J. said...

That's what I'm here for.

T.J. said...

Middle of September. When do you get back from Australia?

T.J. said...

Excellent work Greg...and on a totally different note:

OAKLAND, Calif. - Stephen Holloday has a familiar face — at least to tellers at one downtown Oakland bank. Police say he robbed the same bank four times between March 9 and May 23, but on his fifth attempt this month, a teller recognized him and alerted another co-worker who had been robbed previously by Holloday.

Jane D. said...

I wonder if Holloday has an account at that branch.