Monday, September 26, 2022

More zShazams

I haven't been carrying my weight around here lately so I'm posting the easiest schtick in my bag of tricks: zshazams.  You too can find stuff like this on WFMU, WFUV, and WBGO.  Here are a few recent gems.

"Viva Prado" by Stan Kenton

I played the trumpet in middle school and I was predictably bad at it.  I love the sound of trumpets played well, especially high notes.  They take on this weird smeary quality like magic markers or when you rub on a balloon.  You'll see what I mean around 2:45.  


"Controversy" by Prince

I saw Prince live once only because I blundered into free tickets.  He was amazing and at the time I thought about familiarizing myself with more of his catalog.  About 6 weeks later zson was born and I forgot about all that.  Maybe I will do so now--Controversy is some funky shit.

 
"Jackie Down the Line" by Fontaines D.C.

This sounds like a Bloc Party song.  I dig it.


"Cain's Heresy" by The Lounge Society

This sounds like a Bloc Party song until the switch at 2:40 when it becomes a psychedelic noodling guitar jam.


"Shombalor" by Sheriff & The Ravels

This is proto King Khan & the BBQ Show.  A quintessential Fool's Paradise song, except Toddophonic Todd played it.


"Hard Rock Potato" by The Cool Greenhouse

These guys are heavily influenced by Greasetruck and the Almighty Yojo, except the eschew heavy vocal distortion.


"Our Love Will Still Be There" by Big Blood

This sounds like a Troggs song because it's a cover.  I think it sounds like a Madonna song too, maybe "Ray of Light" which always reminds me of Mike Buddy because TR and I were at a Yankee game once and when he came to the mound they played "Ray of Light" and I said "Mike Buddy is like a ray of light" and TR laughed and so did I.  We were wildly overserved, it was a double-header and the first game went 18 innings or something stupid like that so we guzzled Coors Light from those flimsy wax-paper tallboy cups for 27 innings so that was a funny thing to say under those circumstances.


And those are the latest zshazams!

19 comments:

rob said...

i assume everyone's too busy jamming out to these zshazams to comment. respect.

zman said...

Mike Buddie! Not Buddy.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/staff-directory/mike-buddie/560

Marls said...

https://youtu.be/4j2xEwEHbrE

zman said...

Exactly.

rob said...

nasa droppin' the hammer on unsuspecting asteroids. that's some crazy-ass sciencing.

Whitney said...

What a zmorgasbord! All good stuff. I think my fave is the Fontaines DC song. Sounds like 90’s era Britpop, like a Gallagher singing over a Lush song.

Whitney said...

Also, Ray of Light is actually a cover… of a 1971 song nothing like it:

https://youtu.be/eQ5OtnBdcWw

rob said...

fontaines d.c. get a lot of run on siriusxmu. dig 'em.

Mark said...

School cancelled here for at least the next two days. I don't expect much more than a lot of rain and wind beginning in the early morning tomorrow but still going to stock up on the essentials (water and booze). Also, looks like my trip to Gainesville this weekend is off. Bummer. Was looking forward to taking the kid back to The Swamp.

rootsminer said...

Hope you're right Mark. We're expecting a rainy weekend here with Ian's remnants. I'm hoping my basement stays dry. We just took down a tree whose roots are causing issues, but I haven't had time to address the situation fully just yet.

rob said...

i'm scheduled to visit whit and his lady friend at the martha wood this weekend. are you guys saying that's not an awesome idea?

Whitney said...

Rob and I are supposed to hanging with our women at the Martha Wood this weekend. Come on, Ian. Get it together.

rob said...

ian morris used to be capable of doing quite a bit of damage. let's hope the hurricane is less impactful.

zman said...

Who will do more damage to the Martha Wood: one day of Hurricane Ian, or one lifetime of Ian?

rootsminer said...

Ian always wants to leave the Martha Wood, often returning with a touch of venengance for those who didn't join his outing.

Marls said...

Ian Hyman?

Whitney said...

Ian's my boy and always will be. This hurricane, though... beat it

Whitney said...

Good news! Zillow informed me that Mike Mills' L.A. hideaway has just seen a price reduction of $500k.

Marls said...

Direct views of the Hollywood Bowl!