Thursday, September 01, 2022

Gheorghe's 6-Pack: Spoon

We have Labor Day weekend coming up. Get out there, hit the beach, and grab a 6-pack. Ah, that reminds me of a recurring segment...

In the interest of spreading the love of good music, we will throw out six suggested songs by certain bands you may or may not know much about. Not much of a time commitment, just a little something to get the flavor and get you going.

When I lived in DC 20 years ago, I used to exchange music ideas with a good friend, a WandM Kappa named Jill. She was always a half-step ahead of me, and she introduced me to a number of bands and albums I still enjoy.

Jill still sends me recs. Here's a wacky one she sent 2 days ago. It's also helpful if you wondered what ever became of TR.

And now onto the sixer...

Gheorghe's 6-Pack: Spoon

Vitals
Where: Austin, TX
When: 1993–present
Who: Britt Daniel, Jim Eno, and a bunch of guys who have rotated in and out

Spoon was one of the first recs Jill shared with me. Their Merge Records debut Girls Can Tell is a very solid listen, and I bought it on her advice in 2001. I still spin that sucker now and again.

Here's a good smattering of Spoon. Surface level warranting a deeper dive. That's what 6-packs are for!

Enjoy.

"Everything Hits at Once," Girls Can Tell, 2001



"The Way We Get By," Kill the Moonlight, 2002


"I Turn My Camera On," Gimme Fiction, 2005


"You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb," Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, 2007


"Hot Thoughts," Hot Thoughts, 2017


"Wild," Lucifer on the Sofa, 2022


7 comments:

T.J. said...

The Jazz are reportedly trading Donovan Mitchell to the Cavaliers for Lauri Markkanen, Ochai Agbaji, Collin Sexton, three unprotected first-round picks and two pick swaps.

ALLLLRIGHTY THEN

Professor G. Truck said...

love spoon

Danimal said...

How about a little Back Yard Brawl tonight?! Much excitement.
Back in the old days a few of us Winc boys would visit some of our mates that weekend in Mo'town. Was always at a minimum, excessively fun, due somewhat in part to the hospitality the lass' of WV were happy to extend. Damn that was a long time ago. Gettin' old, folks.

Danimal said...

backyard brawl...i hope you're watching

rootsminer said...

It was an entertaining game of american football.

Mark said...

The Backyard Brawl was highly entertaining. Purdue-Penn Shit. was pretty damn good as well. Got me psyched for a day of football watching tomorrow in New Orleans.

zman said...

Spoon is great. I would’ve included Trouble Comes Running but I am not arguing against this six pack.