Saturday, December 05, 2020

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Two

On the second day of Gheorghemas, Big Gheorghe gave to me:

Too Many Entries

and a Cameo That Will Go Down in History

That's right. I'm back. Well, maybe not truly back but at least back a for a bit. My job of the past 8 years featured a ton of drive time and, as a result, I've had much less time in front of a computer during the workday. Which is another way of saying that I've had to find other ways to waste my time. Babbel and I have become well acquainted. If I'm being honest though, I'm still not sure I really "speak" Spanish. I'll keep pushing though. I appreciate all of y'all's support during this trying bilingual time. Anywho, I've got some thoughts on ways to spend your money this holiday season and we all know postcount is king so away we go.

City Edition: Nike taking over the NBA uniforms a few years back was the best thing that's happened to NBA uniforms since the invention of sweat wicking technology. No more sleeved jerseys by Adidas alone was enough to make us all (LeBron included) thankful. Then some bright young mind came up with the idea of City Edition uniforms. For those of you not aware, Nike does an alternate jersey each year that's related to the city that each team plays in. Not only is it a fantastic way to take more money from the pockets of NBA fans, it's also resulted in some truly faboluous uniforms (and some awful, regrettable ones). 

Now, to be fair, I am an enormous uniform dork (Have you seen the blue matte helmets Florida is wearing against Tennessee this weekend????), but that doesn't mean Nike hasn't created some iconic uniforms with this line. By my count I own six different pairs of City Edition shorts. The Twolves Prince tributes, the Nets Biggie tributes, the grey Sixers jawns, the "Orange County" Magic shorts, the black Nuggets throwbacks, and the first (of the best) City Edition Miami Heat/Miami Vice shorts. This year features a second edition of the Clippers Mr. Cartooon unis, Hawks MLK unis and the (recently purchased by yours truly) Houston Oilers tribute Rocket unis. Treat yourself this holiday season and get a cool pair of City Edition shorts to wear around the house.

Oilers gear- You had me at Hello: As I already mentioned, I immediately purchased the Rockets new Houston Oilers City Edition shorts. One of my great retail regrets in life is not grabbing the Travis Scott/Oilers Jordan 4s when they dropped. Especially since they're now basically impossible to find. I also own a dope Oilers hoodie. I grew up a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan. Not sure if you remember but THEY WERE FUCKING AWFUL. It sucks rooting for a shit team as a kid, so I looked for a good AFC team that I could root for and, well, the Oilers became that team for me. The uniforms, the Run & Shoot offense, the extremely competent Quarterback (I rooted for a young Vinny Testaverde). And then local legend Bubba McDowell became a special teams dynamo for the Oilers. Your boy was in. All in. So, if you're looking for a gift for me. I look good in powder blue and red.

GOAT: Want to know why I know that the Travis Scott/Jordan 4s are pretty much impossible to find? Because I recently searched them on GOAT. GOAT is a sneaker selling app that allows you to buy and purchase shoes from other shoe lovers. All the shoes are authenticated by the company in their New Jersey headquarters before they ship to you. If you're in the market for some nice new shoes, and you should be, I suggest GOAT. I've sold about a dozen pairs of shoes on GOAT and purchased another 4-5. The process is easy. Again, it's the holidays. Treat yourself!

Goldbelly: While I'm busy spewing on about shit to buy, lets touch on Goldbelly. It's been discussed in this space before but it needs some more run. It's a tremendous website if you love food. You can purchase any sort of foodstuff you like on this site and they are adding more restaurants by the week. I've purchased pizzas from New York and Chicago. I'm awaiting a shipment of Momofuku pork belly bao buns and am in the process of putting in orders for some Le Pig Macs from Butcher in New Orleans and a bagel/lox brunch set for my wife's birthday on New Year's Eve. Most of us and our loved ones don't need more stuff but we all need more good food.

1Up Arcade: You've probably not heard of this company. Well, at least if you didn't see the pictures of the arcade console NBA Jam that my wife purchased for my birthday. That's right. I have NBA Jam in my house. The list of classic arcade games that 1Up offers is staggering and offers something for nearly everyone. I turned a friend on to them a week or so ago and he recently bought StreetFighter. I know TJ has been eyeing the TMNT game and my daughter just asked for the Golden Tee for her birthday (she may have spent too much time in our local watering holes). Take some time and check out what 1Up has to offer. Just don't blame me when you by a console and your spouse is pissed.

Wiffle Ball: The pandemic has forced us all to be creative. Meeting with friends outside for food and drinks. Trying out new recipes and cooking styles (sous vide is pretty, pretty, pretty good, and easy to boot) and of course, finding new ways to entertain our children. Recently, my kid stumbled upon a wiffle ball set in the garage. She asked if we could play. My kid is pretty athletic. Soccer, basketball, lacrosse, gymnastics. She's done all those but never shown much interest in baseball/softball. That is until she found the Wiffle Ball set. She fucking loves it. And, I must say, swings the stick way better than her old man ever did (there are many reasons Ozzie Smith was my favorite athlete as a kid). So, it looks like we'll be signing her up for baseball in the spring. Wiffle Ball: It's a cheap gift, an easy way to waste an afternoon and you can do it whilst holding a beer. 

Well, that was fun. Maybe I'll do it again. Merry Gheorghemas to you all. Enjoy some drunk online shopping.

44 comments:

rob said...

cosign rootsy's apple tv+ recommendation. i thought ted lasso looked cheesy in the advertising, but it's delightful. warm of spirit, funny, well-acted, and the soccer scenes are decently authentic.

and now that i know that butcher is on goldbelly, i'm gonna need to bookmark it.

Whitney said...

Yes! A more than worthy return of Mark.

And Wiffle Ball entertained rob and me through some broke assed times.

TR said...

Longhorns have put up 69 on K-State. Nice.

Mark said...

Just in case you forgot, it’s always Fuck Tennessee in my house.

TR said...

My two sons, who always have uniform opinions, like the Gators' blue look. I would like a bit more orange, but don't mind them. In general, I like matte for helmets and cars.

No way that Vols QB will beat the Gators today. He looks like he's 12.

TR said...

And on the arcade tip, a man-cave dream for me would be to find the original Gauntlet game. I loved that game. I played the elf. The arcade in the sad flea market next to my dad's apartment had it. A teenage kid with long, feathered hair a trashy girlfriend used to play it a lot and he was very good. Not sure he was THAT good, but he would bring a ton of quarters and get really far in the game. He would smoke butts and play and his trashy girlfriend would hold his quarters and just stand there. That dude was the shit to me. When you're 12 y/o, looking at a 17 y/o girl w/ C-cups is like staring at Heaven.

Mark said...

Your sons are my kind of kids. Uniforms matter. I think Florida went out of their way to limit the orange this week because, again, Fuck Tennessee.

As for arcade wants/dreams. I’ve always wanted a sit down Ms Pac Man as the table in my breakfast nook.

T.J. said...

I want Galaga.

And Mark I just sent you an absolutely phenomenal Vancouver Grizzlies hoodie.

Mark said...

I saw that. They’re pretty great. I missed the boat earlier this year on the teal throwback Vancouver Grizzlies shorts.

zman said...

Galaga is the correct answer. Or Star Wars pinball.

Mark said...

Florida put 4 receivers in the NFL last year. And they’re still absolutely loaded with pass catchers. That’s a far cry from the Muschamp/McElwain days. Huge credit to Mullen and WR coach Billy Gonzalez. The progress Kadarius Toney has made as a receiver is remarkable. A year ago he probably doesn’t get drafted. Now, he’ll go in the 3rd or 4th round.

Not psyched that this is still very much a game but that can happen when your defense is adequate at best.

rob said...

we need to do an oral history of wiffle ball at bigger field, whit.

Mark said...

Aaron Murray is a disaster as a color commentator. My goodness he fucks a ton of easy shit up.

rob said...

somewhere lenny is pouring some out for squiggy

Mark said...

I greatly appreciate Florida not being shitty anymore but Alabama is gonna whip our ass.

rootsminer said...

I started to look at Goldbelly, but I believe I'd better eat something first.

I bought 31 bucks worth of brisket with a hundred yesterday. The BBQ guy was pretty stoked to give me my change.

Mark said...

I ALWAYS over buy at BBQ places. It just all looks so good and the aromatics of the building don’t help.

Mark said...

Fuck CBS in the worst possible way for showing the highlights of the 2001 Florida-Tennessee game. Seriously. My all time worst loss as a Florida fan.

T.J. said...

Jerry and I were at that game

Whitney said...

My favorite Halloween costumes were always the ones requiring us to act it out. Kramer, Letter-Man, etc. My Lenny to Dave’s Squiggy in college was one of the most fun. It’s lonely at the top.

Mark said...

One of the tests of a good coaching staff, imo, are halftime adjustments. Dan Mullen excels at sod adjustments.

rootsminer said...

Our most legit bbq purveyor here is slinging out of an airstream. Guy was an owner or home team in Charleston. Lines to get it on weekends are ridiculous, so a quick 1.5 lbs of brisket on a Thursday was nice.

Mark said...

Learning how to smoke meat ruined most BBQ for me. Not because I’m some expert but because smoking for a small number is far different than smoking for many, many customers. I am reticent to buy BBQ unless I know it’s really good. I’ll always over spend for someone who knows now to produce good smoked meat though.

zman said...

Finding someone who knows how to smoke meat is like finding someone who knows how to soak cork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deqx-Xb-yHY&list=PLMuo-C5hA2YVRgJwW13ucVUJ0d2zK1yTO&index=40

rootsminer said...

People claim to love smoked meats around here, but a lot of restaurants get away with some pretty subpar offerings. When I used to work catering, I saw many a man swear that some off the shelf, from a tub, brookwood farms pulled pork w/ extra sauce was the best they’d had in their life.

“Uh..: yeah man. Enjoy!”

zman said...

Jimmy served pulled pork from a tub?!?

rootsminer said...

Oh fuck yeah Z. Sometimes with a busy line, he’d have me chop fresh butts for the swanky private party later, but for your big blue collar company picnics and such, it was all about the show. They weren’t eating fresh pulled bbq.

And those folkers ate. it. up.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

rootsminer said...

Also, I am again purchasing a cable like product. Was watching football, but there’s a tag match on, and it’s...aight?

TR said...

I ate an ungodly amount of Blue Diamond Salt N' Vinegar almonds while watching SNL last night. It didn't go well.

Whitney said...

How was SNL?

TR said...

Cold open was good. But to be honest, there was all kinds of low hanging fruit, given Giuliano’s farting and the batshit crazy blond woman who was at the Michigan hearings last week.

Davidson lit Staten Island on fire during Weekend Update.

zman said...

You know Giuliano, the facilities guy at my old job? He farts a lot.

Danimal said...

Come on JETS!!!!

rob said...

rudy got the rona. rudy can fail.

Danimal said...

Jets doin Jets stuff. Dagger.

TR said...

Jets DC Gregggg Williams decided to be cute and rush 7 guys in a prevent defense situation. When the other team is in what’s close to a Hail Mary situation, he sent everybody and had single coverage on each WR (including Ruggs, who runs a sub-4.3 40). They didn’t have a safety deep. Beyond dumb. It’s like they wanted to lose.

Fire him immediately.

rob said...

that's amazing

TR said...

To be clear, they actually rushed 8 b/c they had a spy who rushed b/c no TE or RB went out. There were 13 seconds left, the Raiders had 0 TOs, and they were on the Jets’ 46. ANYTHING besides a TD was tolerable.

Jets SS Marcus Maye, who is a baller, went off on Williams after the game. I’m totally fine with that.

Mark said...

Maye called out Gregggggg in a way you rarely see. And it was deserved.

Danimal said...

At least the jags did their thing

TR said...

It was set up nicely for the Jets - win your game and keep the #1 pick b/c the Jags were winning. We couldn't even go up a game in the tank sweepstakes by losing. Stupid Jags.

rootsminer said...

Since nobody else asked, what are the side effects of eating too many salt and vinegar almonds?

rob said...

things get pickled. it's not pretty.

TR said...

It's a sense of discomfort at 4 AM, followed by: sighing, getting up, grabbing your phone, walking to the boys' bathroom down the hall, TCOB, and then returning to bed after 430.