Monday, December 21, 2020

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Nine

On the ninth day of Gheorghemas, Big Gheorghe gave to me

I'm generally drawn to iconoclasts in my professional life, even as I'm not really one myself. I do have a bit of a 'fuck it, ask forgiveness rather than permission' streak at work, but I'm not tilting at a lot of windmills. Several years ago, an iconoclastic senior leader at my company addressed a gathering and told us that "culture eats strategy for breakfast". It's stuck with me since. (I didn't realize until later that it was the formulation of legendary business theorist Peter Drucker. Even iconoclasts get their ideas somewhere, I guess.)

Over the past two years, I've had a chance to lead a team that's larger than any before it in my career. A lot of the people that work for me are sales reps. I don't have much of a direct background in sales, and I certainly don't have very much experience in sales leadership. So I decided early on to let the people that knew what they were doing do their jobs while I focused most of my energy on building a culture of teamwork and accountability.

This year, it goes without saying, has tested that culture and my leadership.

I made a decision early in the pandemic to eschew the normal metrics-driven sales performance management process and tell the team their jobs were safe regardless of how much they sold, as long as they demonstrated the behaviors that matter to our culture. And I started ending every work week with with an email to the entire team entitled 'Week-Ending Moment of Joy'. 

It began as a way to help people feel connected to the bigger world and have something small to feel good about during the scary early days of the pandemic. It's become a cathartic act for me, and a community rallying point for our team. Most weeks, people on my team react to the WEMOJ (that's what we call it now) by sharing their own stories that align with the weekly theme. It's connected us across cultures and geographies and roles. It might be the single best thing I've done professionally.

And so for Gheorghemas, here are nine of my favorite WEMOJ themes:

I started sharing moments of joy back in April with this one, which we've actually featured here.


A colleague recommended this one, entitled 'Weightless'. It's a rush. I also dropped some Danny MacAskill on my team in May (in retrospect, there's been a decent about of cross-platforming going on - I've stolen liberally from G:TB to bring joy to my professional relationships. I think there's a best-seller to be written about that.)


In May, I shared the story of Emerson Weber, an 11 year-old girl from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Emerson wrote her mail carrier a letter thanking him for his service. What ensued was awesome:


Joy and sorrow are two sides of the same coin. So on Juneteenth in a year where more people became aware of that day's emotional tension, I shared Khalil Gibran's On Joy and Sorrow.

Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.

     And he answered:

     Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

     And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was 

oftentimes filled with your tears.

     And how else can it be?

     The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy 

you can contain.

     Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was 

burned in the potter’s oven?

     And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was 

hollowed with knives?

     When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall 

find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you

joy.

     When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall 

see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your 

delight.

    

     Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, 

“Nay, sorrow is the greater.”

     But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

     Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your 

board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.


     Verily you are suspended like scales between 

your sorrow and your joy.

     Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.

     When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his 

silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

While I was away on vacation, I asked one of my leaders to fill in for me. He's an older guy, nearing the end of a very successful career in sales leadership. He's a teacher in the best sense of the word, and he's still working long after he could have retired because he takes great joy in helping people reach their potential. He wrote about The Kindred Spirit mailbox on Bird Island, NC. His wife's Uncle Frank plays a key role in the story.



Tim and Fred Williams are 22 year-old twins from Gary, Indiana. By their own admission, they grew up listening almost exclusively to gospel and rap, so their exposure to other musical genres was limited. From those limits came a unique opportunity to experience “old” music through new ears. The Williams twins started a YouTube Channel called TwinsthenewTrend, where they film themselves listening to songs they’ve never heard before and reacting in real time. Their authenticity and enthusiasm are contagious. (That's actually how I started the WEMOJ message that introduced these dudes. So, yes, I'm plagiarizing myself here. Also, you gotta watch to at least the 4:55 mark of the first video when the drum break hits.)




In late August I told the story of the inspiration for my newest tattoo, and showed this picture:


Her handwriting on my arm, and mine on hers. A joy that will remain with me.

“The first person on Earth who went to Machu Picchu since the lockdown is meeeeeee” – Jesse Katayama

Jesse Katayama is a 26 year-old boxing and fitness instructor from Japan. In March, he traveled to Peru in hopes of seeing Machu Picchu, the fabled 15th Century fortress. Before he was able to use his entry ticket, Peru declared a state of emergency, closing the UNESCO Heritage Site to visitors.

As my colleagues from Reuters chronicled, Katayama’s next move was unexpected. 

Rather than returning home to Japan and making plans to come back at a later date, Katayama found a room in the local town of Aguas Calientes, explored other local sites, and began teaching boxing to local children. His Instagram feed is filled with photos of kids wearing his favored basketball jerseys and having fun.

Finally, after seven months, the Peruvian government made an exception and opened Machu Picchu for one visitor: Katayama. 


And finally, I shared this incredible video of a groom surprising his bride (who is a teacher of special needs kids) by having her students join the ceremony as ringbearers and flowergirls/boys. I'm not crying tears of joy, you are.



If I were a little bit more secure in my place in the cosmos, I'd write a WEMOJ about G:TB, 'cause this place gives me a great amount of joy. It's always a balm, and this year all the more so. Happy Gheorghemas, y'all. Hard to express how much you mean to me.

33 comments:

rob said...

i just found out that a woman i've worked with for nearly 20 years, someone i consider one of my closest professional friends, is a personal friend of debbi and vicki peterson of the bangles. and she's never offered to introduce me to susannah hoffs. feeling betrayed, friends.

Danimal said...

Nice tip with the WEMOJ Rob, I like it and may in turn need to adopt in some form.

In the jax, the prospect of landing the #1 draft spot has Jaguar Nation in a frenzy. They'll fuck this up too. I have almost no doubt they win one of these last two games.

rootsminer said...

Nice post Rob. I hope the feeling of betrayal abates soon. What would you do if you met susannah hoffs? I froze up with a chance to meet Doc Watson once, and he was an old blind guy at the time.

TR said...

I like this post and may borrow its message one day. Culture is everything.

TR said...

On the topic of the Trevor sweepstakes, I suggest you football nerds listen to Ryen Russillo’s podcast today. He has Trent Dilfer on and they nerd out about QB systems and talk about strengths/weaknesses of Tua, Jalen, Trevor and Fields. Dilfer has become a highly regarded QB instructor/mentor, and his comments were interesting.

Selfishly, I liked his comments about Justin Fields. He was super-constructive on him and said he has watched film on his games this year.

rob said...

randomly, the attorney general of the great state of new jersey used "culture eats policy for breakfast" in this article about police reform in the atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/12/new-jersey-police-reform/617436/

culture is hungry, y'all.

Mark said...

I listened to that podcast this afternoon. Dilfer was awful in Tampa so I never liked him much but he’s incredibly honest and likable. His work at the Elite 11 camp has been really impressive in terms of his mentoring of many young QBs. ESPN ran a reality series on the Elite 11 for a few years and Dilfer was great in the role as the head of that camp. He’s also got a great relationship with Russillo going back to both of their time at ESPN so the dynamic between them makes for great content.

Dilfer is a head coach at small private school in Tennessee now and has taken the program to great heights. He genuinely cares about using football to make a difference in the lives of kids of all ability level. Very, very easy guy to root for.

TR said...

These Bengals/Steelers games are bloodbaths.

Whitney said...

Great post, rob. Nice to be the beneficiaries of you paying the joy forward.

rob said...

your tribe are 21.5 road dogs against a uva team that hasn't played in a while. o/u is 123.5. tough spot for a young team playing against a defense that most of them won't have ever seen. take the hoos and the points. tip is at 2.

rob said...

take the hoos and *give* the points

Donna said...

This post is terrific! I love those twins - I'm not usually a fan of youtube folks, but they're great. And I love Khalil Gibran. And the last video - yes, those are real tears. I'm such a freakin' sap!
Thanks, Rob.
Nice thing you've done at work.
We met my parents in the parking lot of McDonald's in Emporia this morning, wearing masks, removed only for breakfast take-out, and gave them their gifts to take home, brought ours home, as we spend Christmas Day, via Zoom. Merry, Merry! My husband said, how perfect for 2020! Hope y'all enjoy yours, whatever the celebrations look like, and stay safe and well.

rob said...

tribe lost, 76-40. hope you got your wagers in.

Whitney said...

Happy 50th bday, Squeaky!!

rob said...

yeeehaaaaaa!

OBX dave said...

Wonderful post, Rob, and a terrific measure among work colleagues.

Also, just saw that DOJ is suing WalMart for its part in opioid crisis. For G:TB legal beagles, is that viable? Isn't that a little like lung cancer victims suing 7-Eleven for selling cigarettes?

TR said...

Happy B-Day, Squeaks. A gift idea for you (and others):

https://medium.com/sexography/are-you-digisexual-purchases-of-humanoid-sexbots-surged-in-2020-cddf978d6e29

rob said...

doj doesn't miss very often, dave. if they bring a case, it's likely reason for concern for the target.

zman said...

It's viable. Walmart operates both a pharmacy and a wholesale pharmaceutical business and those types of businesses have been sued by federal and state governments with success. Part of the rationale is that the pharmacies and wholesalers should've known that the insanely high rate of prescriptions in some areas was linked to abuse. If you google the stats, you'll see crazy stuff like Madison County TN where there were 149 prescriptions written per 100 people. It can't be that every man woman and child in Carroll County needed one and a half scripts. It's more likely that pill mills were pumping out opioids to abusers, and the companies involved in dispensing the pills should've known better. At least that's part of the rationale.

zman said...

Here's a more cogent summary from WashPo:

https://tinyurl.com/y285gwvr

zman said...

And here's a remarkable map: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxcounty2019.html

rob said...

washington football team, y'all. we knew snyder was a contemptible, arrogant fuck. now we know he's a sexual predator, too. or at least that he settled a lawsuit so nobody would hear the allegations of his sexual predation.

Mark said...

Gift wrapping night in my house which is a marathon that usually includes too much booze. Gonna be a slow start to my morning tomorrow.

Mark said...

Also, the Nets look deep and scary good on offense.

rob said...

didn’t realize that our guy kent bazemore rejoined the warriors. heck of a career that dude carved out by playing hard on defense and being a good teammate.

rob said...

to wit, baze earned $75m in salary prior to this season. that's a tidy sum.

Mark said...

Hitting corner threes didn’t hurt Bazemore either. Accepting a role as a three and D guy in the modern NBA can lead to a very comfortable life.

Squeaky said...

True sign your are turning 50, receiving AARP membership card offer in the mail arriving exactly a month before your birthday to the day. Not the largest lobbying group for nothing.

In other news, some people know what good beer is, others not so much. Post inbound at some point this year about shipping beer, maybe after 12 days of Gheorghemas or maybe useless filler, apathy be my muse.

rob said...

wait until you start getting the ‘elderly dating’ promos via email. mr kq tells me they’re kinda hot.

TR said...

On the other end of the aging spectrum, We measure our boys against a bedroom closet door 2-3x per year. It’s been a fun tradition for a decade.

My wife and I commented today that our 13 y/o looked taller all of a sudden. We last measured the kid on 11/11, 41 days ago. We did it again today. He grew 1.5” in that time. Puberty is crazy.

rootsminer said...

No doubt TR. Our 14 year old has gained at least 6.9 inches this year. Teenage boys are gross.

TR said...

My guy needs some of that puberty fairy dust sprinkled on his head. He was never a big kid, but he’s become tiny. Maybe he’ll have a Rodman/Pippen-like surge late in high school.

rootsminer said...

My oldest is 2 years 9 months older, and he was a laaaate bloomer. Prolly six months ahead of lil bro.