Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Twelve

On the Twelfth Day of Gheorghemas, Big Gheorghe gave to me

Twelve Weird Couplings

Greetings to all the gheorghies on this New Year’s Eve, one that is dreary, muggy, and rainy here in southeastern Virginia. How perfectly apropos for a year that began with promise and ended with resignation.

My Day 12 last time around included this at the end: 
“I have tickets to They Might Be Giants in DC with Rob and The Black Crowes in Va Beach unless they implode again. Seeing the Hoodoo Gurus down here in November. Beyond that: Cold War Kids, The Allman Betts Band, Southern Culture On the Skids, Sturgill Simpson, The Revivalists, Waxing Poetics, The Lumineers, . . . join me, gheorghies?”
Well, I didn’t see any of those shows, for one obvious reason. Nor did I see The Revivalists, Violent Femmes and X, Wilco and Sleater-Kinney, The Black Keys, and Patton Oswalt -- all of which I had tickets purchased to see. 

I did catch the Drive-By Truckers and Carbon Leaf on back-to-back nights in DC and Leesburg alongside several gheorghies. Terrific shows they were, made more glorious now by the finality of such endeavors.

For the first handful of Gheorghemases, I would reserve Day 12 exclusively for appreciations. While 2020 doesn’t seem to have made itself a strong candidate for such a list, there are a number of hidden treasures within the past 366 that stand out. Indeed, lamenting this shabby year in review and yet uncovering some real greatness is something of a paradox.

To that end, here are a dozen weird couplings for 2020…

Live Music vs. The Absence Of
If you’d have told me a year ago that my Concerts Attended number would go from 29 last year to 6 this year… and that the latter half of those shows would be masked and distanced and a bit stressful, I’d have told you it would utterly and completely suck. And I would have been right. 

But there were some unforeseen bright spots. Rhett Miller, the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, took to doing one-hour shows from his basement every week and then several times a week. The format was “pay what you want," though if you tip the most of the show, you get a request at the following one.

Which I did.


In the absence of live music, I'll take this.

Lockdown Laziness vs. Confined Creativity
As much as I should have utilized all the days and nights of lockdown to get a hundred home projects done and do something special... I didn't. There was much lounging. 

That said, I also pined for the lost days of packed venues enough to finish a project I’d been mulling for a while:


Want to see a cool gift? The QR code plays the song, the song is represented by the waves on a cool wooden plaque. My woman is a hip, hip, hip lady.



Punk vs. Mainstream Rock, Product Placement Version
I was amused and impressed when I saw The Clash Chuck Taylors.

Then I saw the Led Zeppelin pinball machine(s). Check this shit out.


Eric Clapton and Van Morrison vs. Eric Clapton and Van Morrison
When I was in high school (just a few years ago), classic rock reigned supreme, and Clapton Is God was a generally accepted principle. Eddie Van Halen was the new regime, but Slowhand was the man all the young dudes loved.  Meanwhile, Van the Man was the ladies' choice but unisexually appreciated. He may not be listed in Steven Hyden's Five-Album Test article, but a lot of folks would suggest that Astral Weeks/Moondance/His Band and the Street Choir/Tupelo Honey/Saint Dominic's Preview certainly qualify. To wit, 88% of every mixtape made for a girl in the 1980's contained "Crazy Love," "Brown-Eyed Girl," or "Tupelo Honey"... and they all contained "Wonderful Tonight."

That was then, this is now. Through the years, I learned about how Van Morrison was something of an insufferable prick with a massive ego. And within the last year I listened to the Spotify podcast on The Clash (narrated brilliantly by Chuck D) and heard about Eric Clapton's 1976 rant on a Birmingham. England stage about "keeping Britain white" and what-not. Real vulgarian type of stuff.  Yuck.

Fast forward to 2020. Van Morrison's creative content dried up years ago, but he has rediscovered his muse in the form of anti-masking songs. He has four now.  The most recent is a collaboration with Clapton called "Stand and Deliver." The afore-linked article about it begins with a great line: "Eric Clapton and Van Morrison, both age 75 and therefore at 220 times the risk of death from COVID-19 compared to people 18 to 29, have released a blues-rock track raging against public health codes." 

Oh, well. On the plus side, they will get some fresh ink written about them when we issue the next version of GTB's Top 20 Douches in Rock and Roll.

"Stand and Deliver" vs. "Stand and Deliver"
You decide.  I know which song Dick Turpin would prefer.





Gone from Home vs. Never Gone from the Heart
On a personal note, my first-born fled the nest this year. She's at the University of South Carolina, and COVID struck a few weeks after she got there. It unnerved me rather significantly. And then she got better. And made tons of friends, despite the state of things. And went to an SEC football game. And hosted her Dad for a weekend, where he got awfully jealous. And then she got a 4.0. 

And like rob mentioned, the lockdown downtime I got with her before she left was unforeseen and exactly what the doctor ordered before her departure. 

Love vs. Hate, Beatles Style
I mentioned Steven Hyden earlier. He's one of my favorite music writers and has been for some time. I think I first read him at Grantland.  I like his tastes, his style, his consistent output.

A couple of weeks ago he posted on Uproxx, his current home, with a piece called The Best Beatles Songs, Ranked. Whew, there's a big and bold idea. I do like that he says up front that such lists are inherently stupid. As Neko Case said, "Ranking lists do NOT represent music or art. That’s some sports bullshit." I said during Gheorghemas three years ago that I dropped good/better/best/bad/worse/worst because "there's just shit you like and shit you don't." But... it's always fun to hear other people's favorites.

Hyden's list is a highly enjoyable, informative read, and he personalizes it quite a bit. There are selections obviously and far less so, and like I sometimes do in such challenging music lists, he totally cheated. (See his #2.) It's worth the time it takes, and you should definitely have the Beatles songs at your fingertips if you read it. You'll want to play one or two you haven't dug up in a while.

One weird thing is that the word "hate" appears in this piece eight times. Mostly in the context of which Beatles hated which songs, or each other. Seems like this labour of love list would dispense with the hate a bit more.

Fran Healy vs. Fran Healy
(also titled "12 is a lot of anything")
Fran Healy was a light-hitting catcher in the 1970's, most memorably for me as a member of the 1977 New York Yankees I bandwagonly cheered for as a kid. My grandmother got his autograph for me when she jumped onto the dugout in Lauderdale that spring, a story I mentioned in the GTB comments recently. In the early 2000's, I got the Extra Innings baseball package to watch and chronicle every miserable game the wretched Mets played, and Fran Healy added color commentary to many of those games. He was light fare, as silly and ineffectual as the team was.  This was my favorite exchange between Healy and the all-timer past his time Ralph Kiner in 2005 after a home run. Fran: He got all of that, he knew it, and he was Cadillacking around the bases.
Ralph: Well, you know what they say about Cadillacs . . . home run hitters drive Cadillacs.

F: I tell you, Ralph Kiner coined that phrase many years ago, and kids in the Little Leagues from that moment on said, “Bunt? Forget bunting, I’m going for the long ball.”

R: That’s where that expression came from – he Cadillacked around the bases.

F: Did it come from that?

R: I doubt that.
They don't call them the best color men in baseball for nothin’.

And then there's Fran Healy. The frontman for the band Travis.  I dig their stuff, it's Britpop, fairly mellow, like the Scottish Connells. (There's a musical connection 'twixt the two bands, actually.) You may have heard "Why Does It Rain on Me," "Turn," "Writing to Reach You," "Side," but here they are singing "Sing" at Live 8 some 15 years ago.


Release vs. Resurrection
Last year I assured you that the debut album by Les Coole and The Cukes would come out in 2020. It didn't.  No excuses, what with all the downtime. I did get a few songs done, as Rob linked to last Gmas post.  I am extremely disappointed to confess that my dream of an album release simply did not happen.

And yet, something I was dead sure did not happen, something glorious and profound, did occur. From the ashes, Penny Baker and Les Coole (and original ORF Rocker DJ Bombay) rejoined the on-air crew at WODU for ORF Rock after an 18-month hiatus that by all accounts was permanent. Same lovable co-hosts; same punk, alt, and Elvis bent; same technical difficulties. But we are back on! I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. 

Wednesdays at 7pm, starting back up in a few weeks. Give us a listen.  Here was one of our shows from a few weeks ago. In it, we play a Les Coole and The Cukes song, so there's that solace.


Strychnine vs. Arsenic
So, 2020 was a disaster by any measure. I don't need to recap it. (But if you need that, go watch Netflix's Death to 2020 for some fun.)

But if you could replay the year and not have any of the disease, death, destruction, lockdown, worry, fear, and angst that COVID caused... but Donald Trump were re-elected... would you?  Lots good did actually happen in 2020. Some things rather momentous.

Downward Trending vs. A New Hope
Gheorghe: The Blog, through the years, based on the Number of Posts:

2003: 14
2004: 129
2005: 219
2006: 103 (wtf??)
2007: 192
2008: 373
2009: 394
2010: 402 (!!!)
2011: 365 (perfect)
2012: 307
2013: 338
2014: 289
2015: 265
2016: 235
2017: 212
2018: 216
2019: 193
2020: 258

Hallelujah. Long Live Gheorghe.


Hard Drive vs. Spotify
I grew up with cassettes. Buying them, making them, popping them into the car stereo as soon as I got in, repair-splicing them when they'd break, and collecting as many as I could. When I was in college I switched to CD's. And how. What you can see in one of the Les Coole Studios shots above is a fraction of the 2000+ discs I collected at some stupid price (although Columbia House and BMG were good to me) in the 90's and beyond.

About 14 or 15 years ago, I ripped most of those to mp3. iPods and iTunes made it relatively simple (though still time-consuming), and the portability was amazing. I compiled a hard drive with 37,000 songs on it, and it was a treasure. On this day 12 years ago I related the saga of accidentally wiping said hard drive (back when it had just 22k tunes) and having to pay handsomely for its recovery. I filled my friends' iPods and hard drives for them. It was gratifying.

Of course, of course that technology went by the wayside. Firstly because that's what technology does, secondly because as soon as I and my completist self feel like I've got it all, it goes away and renders my collection obsolete. Natch. 

Spotify and other streaming services came along and eliminated the novelty of me having an album or a song that people couldn't find and hadn't heard in ages. Oh well. The truth, however, is that it's an amazing development (if one that squeezes artists out of nearly all royalties) and very useful. I have shared music over the medium with several of you. Zman and I have a collaborative playlist and share rare/new stuff. I dig it.

There are still some songs that aren't on Spotify, some that never will be, that I carry in my own collection. That's a post for another day. For now, though, here's my annual best-of-the-year list.

While you peruse and listen to it, keep this in mind. I love you, gheorghies. You people are the finest in all the land, by some margin. Happy New Year.


35 comments:

TR said...

Thoughtful bookend to a crapfest of a year, Whit. I am battling lethargy this week. My family is on day 7 of quasi-quarantining after a potential exposure to somebody a week ago. I think we are all good, but waiting for test results to confirm. Wife keeps saying "family movie" and I keep saying "meh." If results get delayed, we'll just have to ride things out until Monday.

Our wild family night tonight will consist of Benihana take-out and wine (for me, at least). Yippee. But together and asymptomatic is worth something these days, I guess.

rob said...

it's a gheorghemas miracle!

rob said...

that soundprint gift is way fucking cool

rob said...

or coole, i guess

Mark said...

RIP MF Doom. Wow.

Dave said...

the budos band!

love them.

my best buddy in town and his parents have covid, along with a number of others . . . kind of closing in around us. but i got my kids to play some darts with me in the basement while we listened to beck, so not a bad new year's eve.

rootsminer said...

Well done Whit. Live music will come back, with the added benefit of a lot of woodshedding and creativity that happened during this time.

Tonight it's been 35 years since my old pal Nathan coming to my house on nye 85 with 'Are You Experienced?' on cassette (tapes still rule) with a revisit of Jimi's debut. I've never been the same since hearing Manic Depression.

And, to repeat what I posted earlier on the filler thread : what’s our position on the duke’s mayo bowl? I love the stuff, but don’t know about a bowl of it. It is a key component of cheese shop dressing, so I could take it down if it's mixed with mustard, ai, and horseradish sauce. As long as I have some bread ends to dip into it.

Happy New Year, Gheorgies. I'm happy to not have to leave home tonight.

rob said...

the only thing mayo should be used on is a blt. in all other circumstances, other lubricants are both tastier and less disgusting.

sandwich lubricants, you degenerates.

Marls said...

Duke’s Mayo bowl is A-OK. Condiments can go in a bowl, it might be a small bowl but that is fine. I put Duke’s mayo in a bowl tonight while making crabcakes.

As for Rob’s take on mayo, he is not incorrect about it being essential on a blt but he is wrong regarding everything else. Typical lefty, open minded as long as you agree with him. :)

Dave said...

mayo = yuck

rootsminer said...

If you think your favorite light complected niche restaurant condiment doesn’t have mayo, you’re probably wrong.

rootsminer said...

Also, I just discovered that sir Douglas Sahm makes an appearance on Uncle Tupelo’s Anodyne.

Marls said...

Rob, Dave just confirmed that you’re wrong.

rob said...

well, shit

zman said...

Mayonnaise is the perfect condiment, so perfect that only the French could’ve invented it. Your plebeian palettes aren’t refined enough to appreciate it.

rob said...

i'm aware, rootsy, that the remoulade and aioli families are born of mayonnaise. they have flavor. mayo itself is just fat for fat's sake. and not good fat. i will not make a whitney joke here, as much as i'd like to.

TR said...

Primal Kitchen makes a badass avocado-based mayo. It’s keto friendly, unlike the gawdawful soybean-oil based Hellmann’s. With that said, I nominate Marls to be our condiments czar.

We watched WW84 tonight. They try to make Kristen Wiig look sexy, but they give her too much eyeliner and she looks like Tonya Harding. Gal Gadot is preposterously attractive.

Wife has given me the “how many drinks do you need to watch a movie with your family” stinkeye look. The answer, as always, is “a couple more.”

Danimal said...

Seems like a good time to re-invent the New Years Eve specials.

Mark said...

We did a beach bonfire for NYE. I’m all for a night in on NYE but it’s the wife’s birthday and the kid is at the point that she wants to stay up for midnight so I get no say. Twas a fun day though. Happy New Year Gheorghies!!

Marls said...

It is worth noting that all of the New Years Day bowls abide by the naming naming convention thanks to the cancellation of the Ticketsmarter Birmingham Bowl.

Mark said...

I’m sure I’ve discussed this here before but we celebrate my wife’s birthday with family on New Year’s Day because my father in laws busiest night of the year is NYE. I’d much rather sit on my couch watching football all day but that’s not how it works. So...I smoked 4 lbs of pork belly today. After 48 hours of brine in Maple syrup and bourbon. I just pulled it off the smoker and I think I’ve started 2021 on the right note.

rob said...

yo

Marls said...

Why is snoop wearing white socks with slides on a beach?

TR said...

Stupid backdoor Notre Dame cover.

rob said...

and brian kelly growing a pair and eschewing the punt when the game was already decided was the reason. that's amusing.

rootsminer said...

I hope none of you degenerate gamblers had too much at stake on it.

rob said...

why was les coole's audio so faint on orf rock 6.3?

rob said...

i do not like ohio state. but i reallllllly do not like dabo swinney. so this is okay for now.

Mark said...

Same, Rob. Same. I’m basically team root against Dabo at all times at this point. Didn’t see this coming but I’m good with it.

TR said...

I agree with you ladies. With that said, I’d prefer a closer game.

Not sure if I’d want Fields or DeVonta Smith for the Jets at #2 in the draft. Smith made a catch across the middle today where he literally looked like he was floating in air for two seconds.

Mark said...

I’m incredibly in on DeVonta Smith. Not at 2 but he’s one of those guys who possesses all the intangibles. Footwork, hands and an incredible football IQ.

Kyle Pitts is one the top 2–3 offensive football players I’ve ever watched as a Florida fan and Devonta Smith is better.

rootsminer said...

CFB semis are consistently underwhelming. Somebody is always getting their ass destroyed.

Mark said...

Correct, Rootsy . I’m good with a top 8 or 16. Not because I know it will make for better finals or semi finals but because I think the randomness of a larger bracket may lead to more intrigue in the regular season and maybe a game changing upset or two early in the bracket. I’m probably wrong but a change is needed.

rootsminer said...

I kinda think six is where they should go, with a bye for top 2. 3-6 and 4-5 games would be a better first round.

TR said...

I agree that > 4 is preferable. I also hate that the CFB playoffs are often as fun as a wet fart.