Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Bringing a Knife to a Gunfight (Like He Said)

Sean Connery is 90 today. 

The quintessential man's man from the Highlands.  A wise man once said, "Manly props to Sean Connery -- not only was he the best James Bond, he also was Mr. Universe and has a black belt in karate (athlete)."

Beyond that, he's been in a series of terrific films, many of which featured him as the bad-assed hero or antihero.

You loved him as James Bond. We know this.



You likely enjoyed him as the Soviet Admiral submariner.


Older Pi Lams were cultists for his Ramirez. (Once.)


You've seen him excel at game shows.


And you've probably liked him in an assortment of other roles, from Indy's dad to the guy who escaped Alcatraz to King Arthur to Robin Hood to the man who would be king in The Man Who Would Be King. Watch clips from someone's list of his best roles here

But -- despite the protestations from Sick Boy -- I'll take his Academy Award-winning work as Jimmy Malone in Brian DePalma's masterstroke, The Untouchables. DeNiro was top-notch, Costner was at the crest of his super brief but impressive wave, and Sean Connery crushed it.  Watch it again.

Okay, now. Everybody celebrate the new nonagenarian Sir Sean Connery KBE's birthday by speaking like him for a minute.  Like this

10 comments:

rootsminer said...

I had the Connery voice in my head as I skimmed the post. Unfortunately I can't do that voice very well, or I would.

zman said...

I used to work for a cheap company in a fancy building. The rent was relatively low because of the location and they would rent out space for movies and TV shows if they needed a big office or boardroom for a scene. zwoman stalked the guy who played Jamie Lannister during the week they filmed "The Other Woman" in the building. Apparently he likes oatmeal. Anyway, they filmed part of an episode of "Elementary" while I was there and when I saw Jonny Lee Miller I said "Do you sheee the beasssht, have you got it in yair shightsh?" as I passed by. He did not react. Perhaps he was coming off junk at the time.

Marls said...

That trailer for the untouchables is terrible, especially since the movie is so good.

rootsminer said...

Z, I picture the location of your former office building like the one from 'Being John Malkovich'. We watched most of that one with our kids recently, but they tapped out during the scene where Cameron Diaz gets locked in the monkey cage.

TR said...

Unfortunately, I can’t unsee Connery doing the awful “You the man now, dog” line from Finding Forrester.

Whitney said...

He had his share of bad lines and bad films. 50 years in film and all.

Unmentioned but enjoyable films he was in also include Time Bandits, The Presidio, and the film heralded in PCU, A Bridge Too Far.

Donna said...

I don’t know if your comment, Whit, meant “Finding Forrester” was bad, but our family actually likes that one. It’s no “Untouchables” but not awful.

TR said...

I think it was my comment that spoke ill of Finding Forrester. Not a terrible movie. Just a bit heavy-handed at times.

Whitney said...

I have never actually seen Finding Forrester. Or the Indiana Jones movie with him in it.

TR said...

My oldest abandoned his former favorite baseball team (Orioles) this year. He’s become a big fan of the White Sox and Luis Robert. It has been an eventful, albeit random, switch. The team just broke a record with 27 HRs over 7 games, and they threw a no-no tonight.