Thursday, August 27, 2020

Bite Me, Randy Newman

Stevie Ray Vaughan perished in a helicopter crash 30 years ago today. I remember we were back in college (after a stellar, silly summer in the 'Burg) when we heard the news. I also remember hearing the rumor first that Eric Clapton had died.  Nope, that was wrong. It was instead his "people."  And then we learned about SRV. Goddammit.

It's a crap tale of bad luck.

The day before his death, Vaughan told his band and crew members about a nightmare that he had in which he was at his own funeral and saw thousands of mourners. He felt "terrified, yet almost peaceful." Backstage after the show that evening, the musicians talked about playing together again, particularly with Eric Clapton for a series of dates at London's Royal Albert Hall in February and March 1991 as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Moments later, Clapton's tour manager Peter Jackson said that the weather was getting worse and they had to leave soon. Stevie wrangled the last seat on the first copter, saying, "I really need to get back." Vaughan's last words to drummer Chris Layton were "I love ya."

The cause of the crash was determined to be pilot error.  And what a shame. SRV had just cleaned up his act; after years of doing Alps-sized mountains of cocaine and drinking to excess, he'd gotten sober and was crushing it. The sky was the limit, until it was crying.

He was and is guitar genius. He channeled Hendrix like no others. No one seems to be able to channel him. When he was on stage, he was an absolute wizard and larger than life.

And he stood 5'5".

In his honor, we bring you five of our favorite SRV moments.

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Austin, TX - December 13, 1983


Pride And Joy - Montreux, Switzerland - July 17, 1982


Texas Flood - Toronto, Canada - July 20, 1983


Change It - Passaic, NJ - September 21, 1985


Little Wing - Toronto, Canada - July 20, 1983

Bite Me, Randy Newman.

24 comments:

Mark said...

A lot of shitty things going on I’m the world lately. Here’s a bright spot: Cochon Butcher now has a limited menu available for delivery via Goldbelly. Giddyup.

Whitney said...

Goldbelly is awesome. Though they (and FedEx) hosed my dad and delivered him lobster 5 days late and very gross.

rob said...

wearing my cochon butcher hat as we speak.

also, never knew that srv was a member of the tribe. respect.

rob said...

i was today years old when i learned about goldbelly. holy cow.

Whitney said...

Goldbelly brought you lobster rolls on your birthday.

rob said...

those were fucking delicious

Marls said...

Stevie Ray Vaughn was Jewish?

rootsminer said...

Would you go back and sacrificeclapton to save srv?

Donna said...

I saw SRV at Hampton Coliseum when I was in junior high.
And I thank you for intro to goldbelly today. Looks terrific! Though I imagine it’s going to mean hits to my financial accounts.

rootsminer said...

I was going to answer my earlier comment, but got frustrated by handheld technology and gave up. I'd probably make that trade. I'm not the hugest SRV fan, but Clapton hasn't done much that I dig since Derek and the Dominoes.

Whitney said...

Derek and the Dominoes? That’s a looooong time ago with a lot of songs issued since. I’m not an E.C. Is God guy, but that’s a hard no to an awful lot of good guitar work.

Although, to your prior point, Clapton hasn’t done a ton since 1990 that you would point to as top-shelf. Who knows what SRV woulda done.

rob said...

clayton kershaw surpassed g:tb legend warren spahn for the best winning percentage by a lefty. kershaw is 173-75, for a .700 win rate. pretty tidy.

rootsminer said...

Whit, I'm aware Derek and the Dominoes was long ago, and there are a few moments since then, but mostly drek. Competent guitar work? Yes. Passion? Not since 'Bell Bottom Blues' in my opinion.

zman said...

zwoman: "I want to be a poll worker."
zman: "What?"
zwoman: "I want to be a poll worker."
zman: "You want to be a pole worker?"
zwoman: "Yes."
zman: "Whatever."
zwoman: "Why are you being dismissive?"
zman: "You're going to work the pole?"
zwoman: "Yes!"
zman: "Cmon."
zwoman: "I read that they're looking for poll workers because the old people who normally volunteer are scared about covid-19."
zman: "Oh, you want to be a poll worker."
zwoman: "That's what I said! You don't listen to me."
zman: "Sorry. Yes, that's a great idea."

Mark said...

Related, but not actually related: When my wife started working for the Sheriff’s Office she was going to volunteer to be a fake hooker for a prostitution sting. I shut that shit down with the quickness.

zman said...

Much like Millie bucked Santa.

TR said...

Gonna drop an MLB trade bomb on you. White Sox have traded for Jarrod Dyson. Not public yet. I have connections. A Cuban guy on the beach gave me that nugget after complimenting my kid’s Luis Roberts Jersey. Not that any of you care.

rootsminer said...

Big news TR.

Next weekend (9/4-7) and the following (9/11-13) WWOZ is airing archival performances from the Crescent City. Check it out .

Whitney said...

I’m in on that, Rootsy!

rootsminer said...

Armstrong and Bechet 1945? Oui oui!

rob said...

wakanda forever for chadwick boseman, who passed tonight from cancer. fucking cancer.

TR said...

God damn, that sucks. He was so alive and electric in Black Panther. Had no idea he was sick. Sad.

TR said...

Watched Palm Springs on Hulu. Highly recommend it. Very clever movie. And it’s 90 minutes total.

Whitney said...

Agree with TR