Tuesday, August 11, 2020

A Story

When I was young, there was a fellow who wandered around the neighborhood. His name was Ricky, as the kids on my block told me. He was like 19 or so. Something was a bit amiss with Ricky. He always wore an army jacket, and he always had a VERY serious look on his face. He didn’t loiter. He kept walking around. Thank goodness.

When I think of him, I kind remember him like the bodyguard in My Bodyguard, not the Whitney Houston film The Bodyguard but the 1980 film with Matt Dillon and Martin Mull and Adam Baldwin as the bodyguard. I think mostly I remember him like that because the character in the film is also named Ricky and wore an army jacket, but that’s not where the similarities ended. Anyway, Ricky was more than a little off.

When he spoke, which I prayed with all of my might that he would not do when we crossed paths (usually along the four-block walk to and from my school bus stop), it was usually unintelligible. Way out there.

Stories about Ricky were wild, because... well, kids will believe just about anything. Honest to God, the story we heard most often was that Ricky lost his cool and picked up a car and threw it into the swamp that was adjacent to my route to said bus stop. Even then we said “No way,” but when we heard it was a small car, we thought “Maybe.” As we got older, we thought perhaps he’d driven a car into the swamp. Any way we sliced it, we were told to be afraid. And we were afraid.

I never asked my parents about Ricky, mainly because the less I thought about Ricky, the happier a childhood I would have. I felt bad for him. I mean the guy clearly had no family. I guess, well, none of my friends ever talked about them. Or where he lived. I suppose my parents could have proactively explained Ricky, assuming they knew the details, but maybe they didn’t want to give my clucking henhouse of a circle of friends any chicken feed. Or maybe the less they thought about Ricky, the more they could sleep as parents. There but for the grace of God and all that jazz.

In retrospect it makes me sad. (I’m making an assumption about Ricky now, based on what I saw and remember from 40 years ago, but I feel pretty sure.) I worked for a nonprofit serving people with disabilities for 8 years, and when I think of the monstrous stories about a monstrous character that we created and propagated, that makes me feel lousy. Obviously fear does that to people. You’re afraid of what’s different, and he was just different. Well, plus it’s legitimately scary to a kid when a cross between an old kid and a young adult is ambling around your block saying words that don’t compute... and you have a strong sense that it’s not one of those times when an older person says stuff you don't understand because they are older and smarter and wiser.

The neighborhood where I grew up, like that of many people I know, was a site of blissfully ignorant youth in an era when you said bye to Mom as you were pedaling away on a summer morning and returned to base only for sustenance or because the sun went down. Ricky represented an element that did not go with that grain. At my current age, I realize that this must have been hardest — by a Larchmont mile — for poor Ricky. At age 8, we felt a little sorry for him but were mostly scared. And we managed that fear with group therapy (groups of friends telling predominantly fabricated stories) and establishing a common enemy to help us cope. I’m glad that, for the most part, I no longer need to do this in my life.

Anyway, in the last years before I forgot about Ricky, either because he no longer came around or because in 7th grade we moved to a new neighborhood, Ricky took to carrying a bag with him. I guess you’d call it a satchel, though that word isn’t very Ricky. As you’d guess, that accoutrement to his ensemble, as the descriptors venture further and further away from apropos, was fuel for a whole new batch of red-hot fables from the Lords of Buckingham Avenue, or whatever we were calling ourselves that week. Front. Page. News.

Why did he always have the bag? What’s that about? Where did he get it? And of course, most importantly, what in the world was in it? Top answers on the board included “a gun,” “knives,” “nunchucks” (one of my friends thought nunchucks were the baddest-assed thing ever and mentioned them as often as he could), and, of course, “a human head.” One kid thought Ricky might have a jar with his own excrement in it. That kid always said stuff like that to elicit a group “ewwwww, sick!”

We never knew what Ricky had in his satchel. Maybe comic books. Maybe a list of grievances. Could’ve been a human head or a poop jar. Could’ve been anything. Could’ve been nothing. But I’ll tell you this: whatever the hell it was, you could prop it up on a TV-tray next to a podium and run it as Joe Biden’s Vice Presidential candidate and that ticket should beat Donald Trump. 100 times out of 100, Sleepy Joe and Ricky’s Bag should sweep Trump/Pence out of the Oval Office in an electoral bludgeoning that makes Fritz Mondale feel emboldened. That’s what should happen.

Given that it’s the Democratic Party, National chapter, in the United States of America orchestrating this, however, well... that clouds the issue. As my JV football line coach used to say, they could fuck up a wet dream.

That’s what I think.

28 comments:

TR said...

Nice payoff at the end of that tale. But major points off for not acknowledging the obvious! You had enough NJ people in your life to connect the dots:

Ricky was a young boy
He had a heart of stone
Lived nine to five and worked his fingers to the bone
Just barely out of school
Came from the edge of town
Fought like a switchblade so no one could take him down
He had no money, oh
No good at home
He walked the streets a soldier
And he fought the world alone and now it's...18 and life you got it

zman said...

Let's just call him Johnny 99.

Mark said...

Changing gears, Dame vs Luka just started. YES. PLEASE.

There’s not a lot of good news these days but the NBA has made me immensely happy. I watch some or all of multiple games a day. It’s been incredibly entertaining. Last NBA point...Devin F. Booker!

T.J. said...

Dame dropping 50 again tonight?

Mark said...

Sure looks like it. Be nice if he could get some help. And there’s 50.

Mark said...

This fucking game!!!

rob said...

hell, there’s a 5ot hockey game and the mls is back final happening at the same time. hell of a sports day.

Mark said...

61 for Dame and then he walks off the court motherfucking everyone. I love him.

Mark said...

Tampa has 87 shots on goal. 87!!

TR said...

That was a fun as hell 4th qtr. I like Melo as a supporting sharpshooter.

rob said...

“put some respect on my fucking name”

a thing dame said as he walked off the court.

TR said...

I wanted to care about the MLS, but I know little about the two finalists. I do know that Orlando’s best player (Nani) is 33 and was past his prime in the Premier League five years ago when Man U got rid of him. Just a reminder of how feeble the MLS’s skill level is, relative to top Europe leagues.

rob said...

it gets better every year. sure, it’s not the premier league, but it’s also only 25 years old. i watched a lot of english league championship this year, and the top mls sides would be competitive at that level.

TR said...

I hear you, Rob. But it’s hard to care. I hate the MLS’s aggressive expansion over the years.

Hard Knocks brought the goods again.

rootsminer said...

Good story Whit. It reminds me of a kid from my junior high school days named Rocky, who was old enough to drive in the 8th grade. He wasn't quite the pugilist that Ricky was, but still a memorable character from my youth.

Whitney said...

So he couldn't throw a car into a swamp? Weakling.

Whitney said...

So I have a hernia that requires laparoscopic surgery. In my groinal area.

Went for the consult today; the surgeon (who cut on me for MRSA 10 years ago) had me drop trou to check me out. Poking and prodding. Fun stuff. Then he had the twentysomething med student who accompanied him into the room do the same. Both he and she had me do the standard turn-your-head-and-cough a half-dozen times. All in the name of fixing me up, I guess, but it was a bit uncomfortable... and it sure was chilly in there.

TR said...

Accidents will happen
They all heard Ricky say
He fired his six-shot to the wind
That child blew a child away

Whitney said...

Tequila in his heartbeat
His veins burned gasoline
It kept his motor runnin'
But he never kept it clean

Danimal said...

Horrifying Whit. Hopefully you're a bit cleaned up down yonder tho. And if not, well, that's on you.

On somewhat similar topic, the old dirt trail gets inspected next Tuesday. Gettin old is no fun.

rob said...

a real lede from a real story from the real associated press:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump Administration wants to change the definition of a showerhead to let more water flow, addressing a pet peeve of the president who complains he isn’t getting wet enough.

i...i...i just...

TR said...

Is he gonna change the name to golden shower?

rootsminer said...

Perheps he's setting up a post presidential career hawking hi-flow, gold painted showerheads on oann?

rob said...

from prison

Juan Carlos said...

Is "poop jar" a thing?

T.J. said...

JUAN CARLOS DIO MIO!

rootsminer said...

I'm not sure you're living right if you don't have a few jars of your own excrement stashed away.

zman said...

The King of Spain is in the house.