Friday, June 07, 2019

Gheorghe's 6-Pack: Cover Tunes

It's Friday.  Afternoon.  Just about Miller Time.

And that means it's time for a 6-Pack!

In the interest of spreading the love of good music, we will throw out six suggested songs by certain bands you may or may not know much about. Not much of a time commitment, just a little something to get the flavor and get you going.

Okay, so that's the charter of this recurring segment that actually recurs, but we're taking a bit of a different path today. We always like tributes here in the G:TB Music department, and we've trod over that ground a fair bit. So let's queue up some new or rare covers for you.

This Bud's for You

Three of them are mellowfied, deconstructed takes on otherwise peppy songs.  The final three are just interesting genre-twists. Have a listen and see what you think.
This may be your reaction to my 6-Pack playlists...

The last one I particularly like.  Eagles of Death Metal was the band playing in Paris when that terrorist bullshit happened there four years ago.  Theirs is a tale of slow recovery from that horribleness, not physically but emotionally. I'd have to figure that would fuck with me pretty good, too.  Their cover of Duran Duran's "Save a Prayer" was both a decent rendition and a mantra in the aftermath of that cowardly act of evil.

This week they released an album of covers called EODM Present Boots Electric Performing the Best Songs We Never Wrote.  Some interesting song choices for sure. I like the Ramones and Kenny Rogers tunes, but by far my favorite is the Wham! cover. If your heart needs some healing, by all means turn to Gheorghe Michael and Andrew Ridgeley.

And in a related move, it's been a while since we gave this guy the airtime he greatly deserves:


Have a great weekend. Be safe and be sure to enjoy something.

7 comments:

rob said...

'preciate you, whit. saved me from having to actually write something today.

Whitney said...

You bet, buddy. Take the day off.

TR said...

Just wait until my content hits...

rootsminer said...

As a ten year old I was so into wham that once at the beach I spent an absurdly long stretch of time meticulously carving WHAM! into the sand with my heel, in letters tall enough to be seen from George Michael’s jet, were it to fly overhead.

Also, eagerly awaiting the TR content.

rob said...

kawhi is the night king

TR said...

I had a friend who sincerely like Andrew Ridgeley’s solo album.

Wham! sucked. But solo George Michael has some pop bangers.

But I’ve found that Duran Duran holds up pretty well, if only in a drunken dance party kinda sense. My older sister was infatuated w/ that band for several years, and that band was stuffed in my head against my will for most of my middle school years. Some of it is fun new wave. And my sister had some odd European deep cut video of Girls on Film, where there were ladies showing their boobies while walking on a catwalk. Middle school TR thought that was pretty rad.

rob said...

you've gone too far this time, tr