Monday, June 17, 2019

G-L-O-R-I-A

Gloria Vanderbilt has passed away at the age of 95. She lived a life of fame, fortune . . . fashion. And a had boy named Anderson, who seems to have made a name for himself.

Gloria is an oft-used name in rock and/or roll, and here's a playlist of the Glorias, with some artist Glorias thrown in.


Oh . . . plus one song that stands out to the uninitiated. Robert Hazard and the Heroes' 80's one-hitter "Escalator of Life."  One listen and you'll know why.



Factoid: Robert Hazard wrote and first recorded "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."  He was from southeastern PA, so our late great mate Evan used to tout his virtues. Pancreatic cancer took the Pennsyltucky rocker in '08.  Much will rightfully be said about Gloria Vanderbilt today. Let there also be at least one swig consumed (f the wasteful pouring out tradition) for Robert Hazard, his heroes, and his fans.

Hey, girl . . . I'm a personal friend of Gloria Vanderbilt
I got all the gold in the world around my neck 
Come ride the steel dinosaur 
Run wild in the jungle 
It's a Zulu Nation 
Seduction, sacrifice, a new sensation 
Nothing ever changes!

It ain't Dylan or McCartney, but I like it.  Cheers.


16 comments:

zman said...

Not much reaction here for Gloria Vanderbilt.

Whitney said...

She wasn't exactly Alfonso Ribeiro shirtless.

zman said...

If you have Hulu you should check out the Catch-22 miniseries. Each episode is about 45 minutes so you can watch one and still get to bed at a reasonable time. I would write a post about it but I'm too tired from watching all those Catch-22s.

rootsminer said...

She wasn't even Zman shirtless.

T.J. said...

z, I see what you did there

zman said...

I took my shirt off two DeBlasfests ago--as I mentioned in a comment in a different post I was wildly over-served--because the length and density of my armpit hair became a topic of conversation and I had to defend its honor.

rootsminer said...

Did you defend it by drawing their attention to your ample nipples?

Whitney said...

I bought a shirt with snaps instead of buttons (Nuke LaLoosh-style) and it kept coming coming completely open the other night in the bar... (Mysteriously)

Snaps are fun.

Donna said...

Hey y’all dad’s—happy day, a little late to you all! Sounds like you mostly enjoyed it!
We’re in OBX, enjoying sun, surf, Tortuga’s Lie, cucumber vodka!, and much relaxation, too!

Whitney said...

Nice, Donna. Enjoy.

I don’t spend a lot of time on Twitter, but I chuckled heartily when I saw the Anthony Scaramucci vs Nils Lofgren square-off. One-sided at best, and I enjoyed Patterson Hood and Jason Isbell offering potshots at ScaryDouchey.

TR said...

Nils is a tiny, tiny man.

Whitney said...

Rob-sized?

zman said...

This place is a veritable hotbed of activity.

Whitney said...

Samantha Huge day here.

rob said...

if you happen to be watching the local news on the fox affiliate in salt lake city this evening, you might catch your boy presenting an award to the davis county sheriff's office.

Whitney said...

Fake news