Friday, August 10, 2018

Guess Who's Back. Footy's Back.

It's that time of year again. On the first day of the 2018-19 English Premier League season, our man Fat Guy in a Speedo has issued forth his preview of...hang on.

One minute. Sorry.

I'm being told that Fat Guy's preview got lost in the mail. We don't have anything for you.

The blogshow must go on, however, and Manchester United does host Leicester at 3:00 Eastern in the season's lidlifter, so herewith a couple of odds and ends as the league kicks off.

The consensus opinion says that Manchester City, coming off a season that saw them set records for most points, most goals, and largest margin between first and second place, remains the class of the league. It's hard to argue with that consensus. Pep Guardiola's squad added classy wing Riyad Marhez from Leicester and didn't lose anyone of note.

"I'm very pleased with myself"
That same consensus agrees that Liverpool significantly improved during the summer transfer window, and is the odds-on favorite to come second. Jurgen Klopp's team got much better in the net by grabbing Roma's Allison, added a terrific defensive midfield presence in Naby Keita, picked up midfielder/right back Fabinho from Monaco, and snagged mini-mite Zherdan Shaquiri from relegated Stoke City to back up Mo Salah. Liverpool will be the most fun team in the league to watch.

After that top two, it's a consensus mishmash. Most everyone believes that the top six consist of the aforementioned two clubs and Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. For my money, both West Ham and Everton, who went on spending sprees, have a puncher's chance of topping at least one of those four.

Spurs fans are apoplectic that their team was literally dormant during the transfer period, adding not a single player despite the fact that they're opening a brand new stadium. I'm going contrarian. Spurs return a very solid squad, with nine of their roster playing in the quarterfinals and beyond of the World Cup in Russia. That might mean they'll start slow, but they'll finish in the top four when it's all over.

"My management, they are shit"
Manchester United fans are also up in arms, and they've got more reason. Jose Mourinho has been pouting all summer about his management's relative inaction, and his black mood won't get any better as his team scuffles all year.

Gheorghe says the top four looks like: Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Chelsea.

Meanwhile, in the great middling mess of a relegation battle that'll likely span at least ten teams, my Fulham side just broke a league record by spending £128m on transfers, the most ever by a newly-promoted club. Shahid Khan's son Tony went for it, landing 12 new players and all but assuring the Cottagers will stay up.

Wolverhampton Wanderers, another promoted side, also did significant business this summer, and look poised to join Fulham in the solid middle of the table.

The bottom three, according to Gheorghe, are: Huddersfield Town, Cardiff City, and Southampton.

And as soon as we find Fat Guy, we'll give you an actual preview.

31 comments:

Mark said...

Also back: School. So happy to send my rays back.

TR said...

Mr KQ caught my mistake. Answer was Brothers in Arms. Brain fart by me when typing. Carry on.

TR said...

No booze or TV for me until Sunday night. Suboptimal.

Mark said...

I’m about to grab a beer and jump into my pool. I’ll have another for you, TR.

T.J. said...

Mark, hold up - school starts in Florida on August 10th? what the fuck

Whitney said...

Springsteen on Broadway tonight for the kid and his old man. High hopes.

Dave said...

good luck TR! camping sucks in this weather (unless you're drinking).

BRUCE!

that's what you're NOT allowed to yell when you're seeing bruce on broadway. absurd.

zman said...

I watched Baby Driver last night and I don't get the hoopla. The music was great but the plot was derivative and the acting was poor. And now my favorite Beck song is mainstream.

rob said...

anybody have any success pairing a vizio soundcast with a phone or a tv? ‘cause someone who shall remain nameless is about to throw all of the above through a wall.

zman said...

I just stream from my phone to my appletv which is hooked up to my hi-fi.

mayhugh said...

Zman - couldn’t agree more on Baby driver. It was like a 2 hour music video with brief interruptions of subpar dialogue. I did like how they utilized Know How by Young MC. I also like Jon Hamm doing anything.

zman said...

Dude was involved in over a dozen counts of felony murder (including some cops) and he skates out after five years? Cmon.

Danimal said...

Pure envy for Whit. The end all be all for Bruce shows so I hear. Look forward to the post post.

Mark said...

Apparently a number of us stumbled upon Baby Driver this week. I, like my friends,was excited to watch and then quickly disappointed. Even the driving scenes were just average.

In other related news, Vizio smart TVs suck. I tried to set up my folks TV withYouTubeTV today ad couldn’t download it. I’m buying them a Roku stick tomorrow.

Mark said...

Two more things:

Yes, TJ, school starts early in Florida. They also get out of school during the second week of May.

My kid killed the shoe game with some hi top old skool checkerboard Vans today. She’s 6.

zman said...

That's what happens when you bring your kids to Flight Club.

zman said...

The opening scene in the WRX was fun. After that the driving was average. Steve McQueen scoffed. Natural Born Killers wants its swagger back.

Mark said...

Yes. I was disappointed overall. Too much (poor) recitation. Not enough original action.

Whitney said...

What’s your favorite Beck song?

I like E-Pro and Wow.

Whitney said...

And Bruce on Broadway was just the best.

zman said...

Debra. It's on Midnight Vultures. The lyrics are amazing. It pokes fun at the whole slow jam genre. Beck has a ton of great songs.

Dave said...

love that song (and beck). i have never had zankou chicken.

Whitney said...

What about chicken vindaloo?
Bonus points for what song that dish is mentioned in...

T.J. said...

Anyone been to Coors Field? Wife and I just bought five buck seats for a game next week and I’m wondering how best to enjoy the park while never once sitting in those seats.

T.J. said...

We also impulse bought tickets to the Red Rocks Beer Festival next Sunday night. The performing acts? The Cult, Stone Temple Pilots, and Bush.

Whitney said...

Yes, Teej!!

Whitney said...

Oh, Everybody’s Got To Learn Sometime is actually my favorite Beck song. I didn’t know it was a cover. But it makes ESotSM an even better film.

Whitney said...

If I’m candid, NYC on my recently widowed dad’s dime means eating and drinking at a level I don’t ever experience. Grateful. Also, I went to The Whitney (museum) today. Looked for a t-shirt saying so. Didn’t see it. Dbag scenario averted.

TR said...

No Weiland = no STP.

I go to Coors Field annually for a work conference. Fairly easy to move around, but they sell a decent # of tix when they’re good and/or opponents is decent.

Whitney said...

Agree with TR though clearly he never bothered to read my post:

https://gheorghe77.blogspot.com/2018/06/say-thats-not-peter-cetera.html

rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.