Sunday, May 20, 2018

Gheorghasbord

Odds and ends filling up our content bucket like the water from the biblical deluge plaguing the Eastern Seaboard.

For starters, The Virginian Pilot weighs in with the definitive pronunciation of Norfolk, as chronicled by one William S. Forrest in 1853. According to Mr. Forrest, "NORFOLK — correctly pronounced Norfoke — is a Saxon word, compounded of North and folk, and may, with some propriety, be rendered North people." What say ye, Norfolkers?

If it helps you think about it, I've signed us all up for a subscription to Gossamer, a new magazine from a pair of Huffington Post alums focused on the cannabis lifestyle. Now that eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational weed and 21 other states have legalized some form of usage, marijuana is coming out of the shadows and into the light, the glossy, soft-focus, People magazine light. According to co-founder Verena von Pfetten (totally made up name, by the way), the magazine isn't focused on the green per se, rather "...weed is more like the lens through which they approach stories. People who enjoy smoking pot, “kind of want to open their mind and try new things.” [I really need a copy of the AP Style Guide, 'cause I think I kinda butchered the punctuation of that quote. Prolly because I'm high.]

I'm gonna post this unobtrusively, because it may well be wishful thinking, but today I became convinced that Donald Trump is probably going down at Bob Mueller's hands. He might not serve time in prison (though I bet at least one of his idiot sons does), but today's revelations about Saudi Arabia and the UAE offering assistance to the Trump campaign in defeating Hillary Clinton are precise, and damning. Fuck, it's all damning, to be honest. I was right about Trump in the run-up to the election, and I hope I'm right now. And more than that, I hope it's not too late for us to recover.

It's easy to underplay it, because we live so far away, and all we see are photos. But y'all, the earth is literally opening up and spewing liquid fire in Hawaii. Or, said differently, the planet is low-key reconfiguring itself in real time. I've been to a place on the Big Island where lava flows into the ocean. It's among the more spectacular things I've ever seen, even from hundreds of yards away.



The Las Vegas Golden Knights are one game away from reaching the Stanley Cup finals. As an expansion team. If this were the NBA, MLB, or the NFL, this would be the biggest sports story of the past quarter-century. It's amazing, and only slightly less so than the Knights' pregame shows. Vegas, baby.



I attended the Preakness Stakes in 1996, when Louis Quatorze edged Skip Away by 3 1/4 lengths. If you think I pulled that from memory, you may not have ever attended a Preakness. It was, in the parlance of the time, a shitshow. I won $600 on the race, and spent it all that evening at a bar. I met my future in-laws for the very first time at brunch the next morning. I wasn't hungover, thankfully. Because I was still really, really drunk.

The infield at Pimlico on the best of Preakness Saturdays is a drunken bacchanalia. Yesterday, in the midst of the aforementioned deluge, it was as if The Road met Animal House. I can't even imagine what the infield was like.

42 comments:

Dave said...

was i at that preakness? i went to one of them around that time, i remember cat, noelle, bobby c, but i don't remember much else (except for the cooler diving).

rob said...

honestly, i don’t remember. i recall steve wiley, ron shields, kevin lynch, but not much else.

TR said...

Full squad for my U8 team’s rematch today, less the kid who showed up but wouldn’t play last time. We need to redeem ourselves.

Having a weak player not come is a big plus.

Whitney said...

I was there. Freakness is something else. A bizarre redneck cousin to the Run for the Roses.

zman said...

Sort of like Freaknik but not.

Mark said...

Rob is far more convinced of Trump going down than I am. Largely because I still can’t see the GOP not doing everything in their power to prevent such a thing.

As for hockey type things, I’m contemplating a trip to Tampa for a game if the Lightning win one more game in the conference finals. I’m not a big hockey guy but there aren’t a ton a chances to attend a Stanley Cup Finals game.

Danimal said...

I too was there if not mistaken, as was Walt and Buckles. I believe there were vegetables floating about that year, or so I heard. There are some funny clips out there in the intraweb of this year's debacle...many a face plant into the mud, both intentional and unintentional. The mud was deep my friends.

rob said...

i think gutschow was also there, danimal. probably some of our lady friends, as well, and milky saunders, maybe.

TR said...

Live NHL hockey is always a great time. I bet the intensity of a finals game would be off the the charts.

Dustin Byfuglien of Winnipeg is one of my favorite players. He is an absolute giant on the ice. I think he is a legit 6' 8". In Denver a couple years ago, I saw an Avalance-Jets game and he was impressive to watch in person.

zman said...

More impressive if he grew an inch.

Whitney said...

Norfolk is pronounced NOR-fuck. Or NOR-fk. Not NAW-fik like some of the old timers around here, and definitely not NOR-FOKE. Saxon my ass.

Whitney said...

And Trump is so not going down for this stuff. Slick Willie Clinton evaded the long arm of his assailants just like Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue for eight years -- as the GOP's rabid devotees clamored for his impeachment, imprisonment, and Old Testament-style execution. This is their payback.

A guy with all of the presidential qualities of a frayed sock puppet that got snagged in the crack of my clothes dryer is behind the desk in the Oval Office committing treason, heresy, and acts of dunderheaded wickedness on a daily basis, all with his signature smarm-smile and that intellect-bereft gaze. And nobody can do a damn thing.

You could conjure few sequels to Clinton's joyride that would be more insanely frustrating to his supporters (and folks with level-headed hope for America) than this. But fear not, goodly people, this is the Empire Strikes Back of the saga, and while Luke's hand is being sabered off and Han is being frozen (thanks for nothing, Lando) at the moment, stay tuned. I can't tell you what the political version of Ewoks are, but they're coming.

Shlara said...

Stanley Cup finals games are super intense.
And fun.
Unless the opposing team wins the Cup on your ice.
Then it makes you cry.

TR said...

Is it okay if I don’t give a crap about the Indy 500?

Mark said...

Yes. Neither do I.

rootsminer said...

Whit is fired up about NOR-fuck! And I like the 'empire' analogy.

I am sitting idly for the first time in days- I neglected to clean my gutters prior to
last weeks biblical rain. Since
Friday night it's been steady toil to dry my basement and complete some preventative measures.


Catching up on GTB while my kid tries out for Soccer. I may put some action on tr's u8 team!

Dave said...

looks like my travel team won the flight. marls will appreciate the fact that we played a scrappy hispanic team from harrison today-- and i was warned by the coach form clark last week that they would be bringing a number of "guest" players because they were also vying for the playoffs. so they had four giant super-skilled kids with different uniforms and one of them scored a 40 yard rocket shot (a 12 year old?) but my son the flopper generated a PK and we managed to tie them, thus winning the flight. the refs stopped the game early by mistake and their coaches stormed the field and it got ugly, then we went back out and finished. we basically parked the bus on the ringers,. who were so much better than us, and then got to enjoy when the parents on the other team of the regular players were screaming at the coach from the other team because he didn't play his actual players and just played the ringers (we got a spanish translation from one of my parents). a hard fought and wonderful win, especially since my speedy outside defender was lightheaded from fasting for ramadan and couldn't really play in the back.

TR said...

Better outcome for Dave than me. We lost 10-6. Was a 5-5 tie after 4 innings, but we had no quality arms left for the 5th.

My best pitcher’s dad told me his kid had a sleepover the night before and slept five hours. He was all over the place. Brutal.

Dave said...

ugh. sleepovers. i had two sleepover kids yesterday. one of them had to sit for a while because he was tired. those things should be illegal.

Marls said...

Way to throw in the Ramadan comment to cover for your latent racism.

It’s probably because you’re Italian.

Whitney said...

Dave also has a lot of Hungarian blood in him, and you know what that means.

zman said...

Excessive body hair, particularly in those areas that have folds of skin.
Excessive sweatiness.
A capacity to consume large quantities of cured meats in a short period of time.

TR said...

Any other Wild Wild Country watchers out there? Doc started great, then started dragging big-time. It’s a 6-parter, but could have (and should have, IMO) been cut down by at least an hour.

Wife and I suffered thru the interminable 5th episode last night.

Whitney said...

Dear Gheorghe,

My 16-year-old daughter is applying for a hostess job at my favorite restaurant/bar.
How do I feel about this? Won't this be worlds colliding?

Signed,
Independent Whitney

zman said...

You need a new favorite restaurant/bar.

Danimal said...

TR - My feelings mirror yours, but when I commented at the onset of your viewing I did not want to influence you.

Has anyone else started watching Barry. It's worth it - Bill Heder is an assassin turned aspiring actor attempting to leave the biz (the killing biz, not the show biz)

Danimal said...

oh vey. or he could submarine his daughter's attempt at getting the gig.

rootsminer said...

Thankfully the U8 TRs covered the spread yesterday, offsetting my fine for today's reckless driving conviction. Fine with court costs was $269. Nice?

zman said...

In the off chance you're looking for a Jeep Wrangler, consider this instead.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-bronco-3/

rootsminer said...

That is a pretty sweet bronco. I knew a guy in high school who had a similar looking '71.

Some of us had to let the air out of his tires one night when he was downer drunk and itching to do something stupid in it.

TR said...

Sorry to be a bit of a spoiler on WW Country. First four episodes are fascinating. Plenty of lustrous groin beards (male and female) for those digging those sorts of things (Zman).

Mark said...

I finished Barry last week. I really enjoyed it. Picked up steam mid season and finished strong. Hader is good in it and it’s got a good mix of comedy and drama.

zman said...

My groin beard was the inspiration for ZZ Top.

TR said...

Steve Javie can do better than a paisley tie on national TV.

TR said...

Yanks have now hit 14 HRs in their last three games. That’s a lot.

Marls said...

Yo Gheorghies.

Whitney said...

Look at Marls the rock star.

Danimal said...

Did Marls move to Hawaii? Asia? Where is Marls? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Mark said...

No, he’s just developed a really heavy cocaine habit.

OBX dave said...

Singapore Stock Exchange day trader?

TR said...

More like Bangkok flesh trader

zman said...

Middle-aged guy who likes to comment from the bathroom when his cranky prostate wakes him up in the middle of the night?