Sunday, October 28, 2007

Best of the...Blind

As Whit alluded to below, blogging ain't that hard, though we sure have made it seem that way lately. Well, here's my contribution to Gheorghe's "write whatever the fuck we want" mantra, though this tact it is often welcomed with silence from the "we won't read this drivel" crowd. Screw 'em...today I salute the best of the non-seeing from all walks of life (be it real or imagined):

Matt Murdock, Attorney at Law - The comic book fans amongst us will know Mr. Murdock by another name, Daredevil. Try for a moment to forget that Affleck movie was ever made (even I, who saw Fantastic Four, avoided this comic book flick), sullying this Marvel Comic legend's good name. Quite simply, Daredevil is a bad ass, the only blind super hero I am aware of, and frankly one of the best comic book characters ever created. OK, I'm done...need to go book my Comic-Con tix.

Stevie Wonder - It could be this entire post was inspired by the ad I saw in the DC Express today - Stevie is playing the Verizon Center tomorrow night, and I am angling for box seats any way possible at work. I'm pretty sure Stevie's 1976 epic double LP "Songs in the Key of Life" is one of the ten best albums ever created, but we can argue later. And yes, I consider Stevie a notch above everyone else's favorite blind musician, Ray Charles...but that could change if they ever do "Stevie" starring Tommy Davidson.

Helen Keller - What, you think this post is taking a serious turn? Think again...
[Afternoon Update - The Brawny Barrister just emailed me this humorous Helen Keller YouTube clip...I laughed quite a bit at this.]

Ray Charles - Like I mentioned above, Ray falls a tad below Stevie Wonder on the "blind soul/R&B" musician list, despite his terrific turn in the Blues Brothers. Sure, I've never even seen the Jamie Foxx movie, but my disdain of all things Foxx muddies the waters. As does Ray's work in those "You Got the Right One Baby" Pepsi ads. Still, his version of "America the Beautiful" is one of the most powerful songs you'll hear. And his prolific procreation would make Travis Henry blush.

Jake Peavy - Really, he's legally blind (without contacts). It's well documented.

Louis Braille - Perhaps the most important blind person to have ever lived. Nice work with the raised dot language, Louie.

Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury - Some of Hauer's finest work, as Nick Parker, a blind Vietnam vet who comes to America to rescue the son of a fellow soldier. Just for fun, spend five minutes on Rutger's site...it's worth it.

Mr. Magoo - Was he blind, or just functionally retarded? Or both? I must admit this is not a carton I saw much of as a kid...all I know is we have a dead ringer at the office for Senor Magoo, and I could swear this guy intentionally acts like a dummy just so folks will call him Mr. Magoo. To say he is socially stilted (the office guy, not the fictional cartoon character) would be the understatement of the century.

Honorable Mention - Don Denkinger. It's amazing a guy could umpire for 31 big league seasons while being blind. What, he isn't blind? You sure about that?

12 comments:

Whitney said...

I think most folks would elevate Ray Charles above Stevie because he did it first, and because he never really went cheez-pop like Stevie did.
Ray certainly betters Stevie in the movies -- not only does his turn in The Blues Brothers with "Shake Your Tailfeather" stand out, but John Candy jamming out to "Mess Around" before catching his car on fire in Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a million times better than whatever was happening in The Woman in Red when the subpar "I Just Called to Say I Love You" played.

But you're not wrong about Songs in the Key of Life. Listen to "Sir Duke," "I Wish," and especially "Pastime Paradise" -- the last of which was pirated, albeit deftly, by Coolio, who then whined when Weird Al used "his" song for a parody. (Karma settled that one.)

And a month ago I came across the first "mash-up," as they call it, that I've really enjoyed. If you can find the track that pairs Stevie's vocals on "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" with the backbeat from "Rock the Casbah," it's a frickin' dandy.

T.J. said...

Whit, go to mashuptown.com...you will be very happy.

rob said...

how about the greatest actor of all time and his star turn in 'the saint'?

T.J. said...

I also forgot the terrific Young Frankenstein uncredited cameo by the coach of Hickory High.

Unknown said...

As a Padre's fan..I knew about Peavy..and have always wondered about it myself..

Of course I also blame dirt in his contacts when he blows a game..its works for me and thats my story and I am friggin sticking to it.

T.J. said...

"[Marijuana] is not a drug. It’s a leaf.”
- California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger tells the new issue of GQ

Mark said...

Thanks for bringing up Denkinger jerk. Easily my worst childhood sports (maybe altogether) memory.

TR said...

Don't forget Raoul Midon. He's the 21st century Stevie Wonder (sans hair beads).

What about Laura Dern in Mask? Remember when Rocky teaches her what the words "red" and "billowy" are like by heating a rock, and then putting a handful of cotton balls in her hands? If I was him, I would've gone on and taught her what the word "hard" was like.

And what about Richard Pryor in See No Evil, Hear No Evil? Wasn't he blind and Wilder deaf? Was it the other way around? Either way, it was Kevin Spacey's break-out vehicle...

rob said...

in this morning's post, wilbon basically called on someone to take out brady if the pats keep running up the score.

to me, the fact that the skins didn't show more spine on the field late in the game was the most serious indictment of gibbs 2.0. the entire organization's got no sack.

T.J. said...

Someone should take out Wilbon...

T.J. said...

This made me chuckle:

Herman Edwards appearance on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" is scheduled for at 9 tonight on FSN Midwest. The show will be renamed the "Best Darn Sports Show Period" for one night out of respect for Edwards' view on profanity.

Mark said...

Can you imagine a more mind numbingly boring trio of NFL head coaches (current or former) than Herman Edwards, Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith? I mean, sure they'd have some great football stories but nowhere near the level of most NFL coaches. Just three guys in a booth at dinner talking in hushed tones, praising jesus and drinking ice water. Yay!