Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Dance, Marucci!

Continuing this week's theme of highlighting passionate and modestly weird humans putting themselves out into the world, we give you two-time World Speedgolf Champion Rob Hogan. This is what he looked like back in 2013 when he won his first title:

He's changed his look a bit in the interim:


Hogan excels at Speedgolf, in which competitors are allowed a maximum of 7 clubs, and are scored on the basis of both strokes and time taken to complete 18 holes. In 2015, when Hogan won the world title, he shot a 77 in 40 minutes. Tidy round, that.

Here's a video highlight reel of his victory in the 2022 British Open:


Over the years, Hogan has changed more than his look. He's also evolved from an elite competitor in an esoteric event to a manic, exuberant teacher of the broader game, and that's what we're here to celebrate. 

Hogan's @speedgolfrob Instagram account is a careening bender of physiological coaching tips and madman-inflected mental advice. Here are a few samples:


 

I haven't played golf in a few months, but I've stored up a bunch of new swing thoughts, courtesy of Hogan. And if I'm being honest, possibly a few life lessons, as well. 

Dance, Marucci!

10 comments:

rootsminer said...

It's been over 11 years since I played, but this appeals to me. My brother is a good player, and will often go ride a quick 18 in under 2 hours. This seems a bit more extreme.

zman said...

Who is Marucci?

rob said...

we are all marucci

Marls said...

Speak for yourself, Marucci.

OBX dave said...

Courtesy moment: full parking lot at doc's office. Guy exits to his car, climbs in, spends next three minutes scrolling his phone. I'm within view waiting, turn signal blinking because I'd like his spot. Guy finally puts down phone, pulls out, never glances my way. Prince.

OBX dave said...

BTW, Hogan is a gem.

zman said...

That guy was at the hospital the other day! I hate that guy.

Whitney said...

Prominent work contacts e-mailing our team repeatedly with a Subject: line that begins F/U (as in follow-up) gets me every time.

Mark said...

Real Madrid is unbelievable. Never dead.

Professor G. Truck said...

i would start playing golf again if they reserved days on the course for this sort of thing-- I hate slow play.

also, just finished my "sentence of dave" and my title crushes it.