Monday, December 12, 2022

Sharing the Love

In the spirit of the season, allow me to highlight an organization that's doing really important and interesting work pushing back against the inexorable tide of money in youth sports. Said, differently, the very good folks at Open Goal Project are working to create opportunities in the game for disadvantaged kids in the Washington, D.C. area.

Open Goal Project was founded by Amir Lowery and Simon Landau, with the express mission to "create opportunities for young players from low-income families and underserved communities to access high-level soccer and grow with the game, on and off the field, to provide resources that empower those players and families to navigate the costs and overcome hidden barriers associated with playing, and to use soccer as a vehicle for cultural enrichment, higher educational opportunities, and greater life experiences."

Here's a little shoutout for the project from ESPN:

Amir played collegiately at Wake Forest and then in MLS and USL for nearly a decade before coming back to his hometown to start the project. He's an impressive dude. We have a mutual friend, which is how I learned about Open Goal Project. I connected Amir with the club I volunteer for, and we've been working on ways to create playing opportunities for the project's kids and their academy team, District of Columbia Football Club.

One of Open Goal Project's early success stories is Ariana Reyes, who's a rising redshirt junior at JMU. She played in 19 games as a redshirt freshman, starting 10, before missing all of last season. Here's a little bit of her story.


Open Goal Project has kids playing at several other colleges, kids who might not have had that opportunity without the work Amir, Simon and their team are doing. If you've got a couple of bucks you don't know what to do with, these guys could use it. They manage to do a lot with a little. I'm rooting for them.

17 comments:

rob said...

me and joe biden, men of the people, havers of rebound covid. stupid virus.

rootsminer said...

Hope it passes quickly, Rob.

My youngest woke up with a sore throat this morning. He has three performances of Nutcracker this weekend. He is the Nutcracker, along with a couple of other roles, and has no understudy for any of them.

My wife is usually the more cautious and responsible parent, but she told me this morning to discourage him from taking a covid test.

Danimal said...

Mike Leach gone? wth.

Donna said...

Hey —question, best suggestions for where to look to purchase used car, likely something older but still reliable? Dealerships or probably not? Thought y’all (z—) might have thoughts. Thx

Dave said...

that nutcracker play is fucked up. very surreal.

rootsminer said...

I always prefer to purchase my used jalopies from individuals who can make me reasonably confident that they have taken care of the car. I may be biased because there are a number of used car dealers in my area that have questionable ethics.

Marls said...

Ballet, Dave. Ballet.

Fucking Visigoth.

Donna said...

Our middle son got into Boston University. Holy Crap. We’re so excited!!

rob said...

that’s awesome, donna! beantown, baby! it’s a fun place to be a student. um, i mean, to seriously study. definitely to study.

Whitney said...

Terriers! Nice, Donna.

You know they call I-90 between Holy Cross and BU "Holy Terrier Highway."

They don't, but they should.

Whitney said...

And Donna, you can always drive up to Orange, VA to get a car from Pi Lam Kevin Reynolds' family business. One or two from this group can either support or reject that rec.

https://www.reynoldsgmsubaru.com/

rob said...

per his family, grant wahl died of an aortic aneurysm. marls owes the qatari people an apology.

Whitney said...

You want an aortic aneurysm? I can get you an aortic aneurysm, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you an aortic aneurysm by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

rootsminer said...

Whit knows a guy, apparently.

rootsminer said...

I just had a realization that this weekend's World Cup final might kick off at the same time as the Nutcracker performance I'm attending. Was relieved to discover final kicks off at 10 am, so I'll be good for a 2 pm ballet matinee.

rob said...

do *not* confuse the aneurysm guy with the car guy!

Marls said...

I have issued an apology via the State Department.

That said, I still would not put it past those fuckers to have used Whit’s aneurysm guy.