Wednesday, January 05, 2022

They're Tearin' the Buick City Complex Down


The Gheorghian calendar, influenced as it always is by a combination of lunar position, grain harvest, and Romanian weather, extends this year into the early days of the new Gregorian year. Which gives me an opportunity to highlight the best opening line of any song in the modern era. 

In turn, that song, "Buick City Complex" by Old 97's, in all its wistful longing for an era that won't return, is the soundtrack for today's interlude.

Even when I visited her for the first time in 1997, Conneaut Lake Park had seen much better days. The resort/amusement park opened in 1892, and in her day, she attracted Pittsburgh's upwardly mobile families, who rode her rides, played on the beach, and stayed in the grand Hotel Conneaut. A gorgeous carousel opened in 1899, and in 1938, the park's signature roller coaster, The Blue Streak, opened in 1938. It was one of the largest wooden coasters in America at the time.

I had occasion to visit the park because of my wife's family's long and winding history with the place. Her grandfather was the original owner of The Blue Streak, among several other amusements within the park's boundaries. Her father's uncle owned the carousel, which is a source of long-standing inter-familial jealousy. That's not what this story is about.

When I visited with my then-girlfriend in July 1997, the park and hotel had slid towards the seedy side. Most rides were in various states of disrepair. The Pittsburgh scenesters had long ago found more modern and sophisticated places to vacation. The hotel air conditioning went out one night, which would've been manageable but for the 95 degree temperatures and high humidity.

But a roller coaster is a roller coaster, especially a wooden one that was likely rickety on its very best day. The Blue Streak was a bone-rattling out and back, and honest, fast, and loud coaster that relied on gravity and tight turns and none of that fancy stuff. It was simple fun.


We went back a couple more times after that first visit. During the last one, my eldest daughter got terrified on the kiddie coaster and several of our party got marooned in the lake when the pontoon boat we rented blew an engine. In retrospect, these were omens.

After years of steady decline, which included several convenient fires that claimed different buildings and attractions, the property was sold in bankruptcy for $1.2m. The buyer is trying hard to quash rumors that they intend to shitcan the park and develop homes on the land. 

That got harder today when a "controlled burn" near The Blue Streak got out of hand and badly damaged the legendary coaster. It's now scheduled for demolition. My wife let out an audible gasp when she saw the news on the interwebs. 

Our chronicles of the decline of American institutions are usually limited to the news media and William & Mary hoops. But in every domain, time marches on, taking with it the temporary that our ancestors thought permanent. I think we're the only people left in town.

30 comments:

Whitney said...

Sorry to hear it. The price of living a while, you see stuff you love go away.

And that song is one of my all-time faves.

Whitney said...

Also, calling William & Mary hoops an "American institution" is to line it up next to Bellevue, Eastern State, or the place in Oregon where R.P. McMurphy spent some time.

rob said...

in fairness, it doesn't hit me as hard as it does my wife and her family. and since i'm a pretty selfish motherfucker, i'm not that broken up about it. but it's a good hook for a post.

and that song is way, way up there on my personal countdown.

rootsminer said...

My kids were asking me recently about Lakeside Amusement Park, which I remember from my childhood. I don't recall going that often, and suspect it's because there was more decay than my untrained young eyes could spot at the time.

zman said...

My stepfather's family used to go to Roseland Park in Candandaigua, NY. I went once before it closed. It was underwhelming but the wooden rollercoaster was fun. Items made of wood that are left outside for almost 100 years should not be expected to last. It's only a matter of time before the Cyclone decomposes into Jamaica Bay (or whatever the hell you call the water it abuts, I defer to Marls on all things involving that island).

Danimal said...

Roseland Park - I too went there as a kid and thought of that when I watched the vid. We probably crossed paths at one point Z, or streams maybe.

I think it's pretty neato Rob that your bride's gramps owned a roller coaster. You don't hear that everyday. Pretty interesting that at least in this case individual rides & attractions were held by individual owners. Who knew? Not me.

rootsminer said...

I also did not realize that a ride would have ownership held by individuals, though the intros in the current, and excellent, season of the Cocaine and Rhinestones pod have been enlightening on a multitude of historical entertainment.

The list of intro topics includes : Pinball, Bullfighting, Renaissance Fairs, Soap Operas, and cocaine. The main story is centered on George Jones, whose godlike voice and raging insecurities and addictions make for a compelling listen.

rob said...

my wife's family also used to own west view park. that's a shopping mall now. they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. with a giant eagle.

rootsminer said...

America. Fuck yeah.

zman said...

Cocaine and Renn Faires? What’s not to like with that combo?

Danimal said...

All signed up for Cocaine and Rhinestones.

rootsminer said...

Season 1 was made of mostly standalone episodes, with a couple multi part shows.

Season 2 is its own story arc. I’d start at the beginning of it and then go back to first season if you dig it.

Marls said...

Ummm, the Cyclone abuts the Atlantic Ocean

Whitney said...

My gf just landed in Minneapolis for a work meeting. It’s -6° there. Windchill of -25°. Skiddit.

rob said...

been there, felt that. it literally makes you dumber to be outside in those temps. your brain sends blood to the body. that's my hypothesis, anyway.

rob said...

what the fuck happened to jason whitlock? he used to write challenging and thoughtful stuff about the intersection of sports and race. now he's on youtube spewing fuckery about how the 1/6 rioters were righteous because the election truly wasn't conducted fairly. my god.

rootsminer said...

He got a more lucrative offer?

Whitney said...

Every man has his price, Clint once said. Mine is getting lower with every mortgage payment.

rootsminer said...

I can see the finish line of my mortgage, so I think my chances of becoming a mouthpiece for an ideology I don't agree with decreases each time I get my mortgage statement.

But I really do need to update the kitchen and the baths.

Danimal said...

The wife and I have pulled the trigger on the renovation. Reading here at GTB of past reno's at TR's, Mark's, I always said to myself - "No effing way could or would I do that". Well, here we are. It starts in two weeks. Not coincidentally, I've planned the first of many road trips that will take place over a 2-month period (or more). Kitchen, almost 100% of the flooring, followed by Phase II a few months later with our bathroom. I know it probably sounds selfish, but a) the trips have to happen at some point this year and b) it's best for everyone in my family.
Regarding that first road trip Mark - it's a FLA swing that will end in Vero and possibly w/ a GTB mini-summit? Will keep you posted - schedule is fluid.

mr kq said...

Need an FA Cup team to root for. Preferably a dog that won't go out tomorrow and may have upside to win a few. I do have a connection to Millwall through a rugby mate. Tough bugger. Not sure how far they could go though. Talk to me Goose.

rob said...

millwall play in a park known affectionately as the den. their supporters are legendarily hardassed. which is a synonym for goons. they make eagles fans look like disney princesses. and they'll probably lose tomorrow.

middlesbrough is a solid side. currently in 7th in the championship (the division below the premier league). coach is chris wilder - very good dude who used to coach sheffield united. they play a unique style where their center backs get forward into the attack. they're playing mansfield town, and they're favored to win, so they should get at least one more match. that's your play.

mr kq said...

Up the Boro? Knew I could count on you. Looking at the map I've recalled I have a good mate who lives in Leeds but is from up Newcastle way - Chester-le-Street. Need to see who he supports but have opened up the bidding to Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds and Middlesbrough. Love the northern accent so they all work. Any of those three worth supporting in your view or stick with the Boro?

rob said...

newcastle and sunderland are sworn enemies. the former just got bought by the saudis, so maybe steer clear. the latter are down in league one, scuffling, but they're a massive club in terms of history - not likely to go very far in the cup, though. leeds play a super-fun style and most everybody hates them for historical reasons. so i'd stay away from newcastle, but the other two are cleared for takeoff.

zman said...

The apocalypse is here.

https://www.vantageauto.com/details/used-1990-mazda-mx-5-miata/77612254

Dave said...

rob, for more of this sort of nostalgia-- with a more dangerous edge-- you need to read the action park book ...

apparently this less poetic demise happened to rolling thunder, jersey's finest wooden rollercoaster:

Rolling Thunder closed permanently in 2013 to make room for Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, which opened in 2014.

or is the word "zumanjaro" more poetic? hard to judge

Marls said...

Plenty of room on the magpie bandwagon, Mr. KQ. Can’t be worse than rooting for the Washington Snyders.

zman said...

You should support the Hibs like Renton (and Irvine Welsh).

rob said...

alas, hibs don’t play in the fa cup.

Whitney said...

Who did Spud root for?