Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Twenty Years In ...

A small story about air travel in the wake of 9-11: When sports resumed, I was assigned to cover the Virginia Tech at West Virginia football game in early October. Flight from Norfolk to Pittsburgh, rent a car, hour-plus drive to Morgantown.

Much has been made of the national comity after the terrorist attacks, but in the days and weeks following 9-11, airports were tense places. People wary, on edge. Folks climbing into vehicles that were used as missiles, others desperately working to avoid a repeat. I arrived in plenty of time and crept through the check-in line. Here’s what I wrote a few days later, as part of a mostly football piece:

… “Security officials ran my carry-on bag through the X-ray machine twice and asked me to open my shaving kit. The officer rifled through it and pulled out a set of nail clippers. You cannot travel with this, he said. Really, I asked. He then swiveled the 3-inch nail file around the base, demonstrating how it could be a weapon.

OK, I said, can I get it back after my return flight Sunday? A serious man with a serious job, he looked at me as if I had asked him to dance. No sir, he said, this goes to the police. The police want my nail clippers, I asked. This goes to the police, he repeated. Whatever you say, sir.

Repacked my stuff and headed for the gate. Imagined an evidence room at the station house with confiscated guns on one side, confiscated drugs on the other, a small tub of confiscated nail clippers in the middle and a precinct full of well-manicured policemen.”

After the attacks, our leaders stressed the need for vigilance as they encouraged everyone to return to leading normal lives, which prompted me to routinely deliver stupid non sequiturs: If you settle for the fish sandwich and don’t get the seafood platter, the terrorists win; if we don’t get tickets for Blues Traveler, the terrorists win.

I’ll keep the gasbagging to a minimum, since I’m more practiced and comfortable reporting and observing, rather than offering opinions. But 9-11 seemed to unleash streaks of jingoist and nativist behavior that inform our thoughts and actions to this day. It also appears to have contributed to our increasingly tribal divide.

Certainly, there have been victories in the 20 years since 9-11. No major terrorist attacks on our soil. Far more robust and broader communications systems. We off’d bin Laden. But the costs have been enormous, in financial and human terms, and to our national standing and prestige around the world. Brown University conducted a Costs of War project that concluded, among other things, at least 897,000 people around the world have died due to violence linked to the War on Terror. At least 38 million people around the world have been displaced, and the effort has cost the U.S. at least $5.8 trillion, with more to come.

A case can be made that, in some ways, the terrorists did win.

12 comments:

Marls said...

It’s not in some ways. You are correct Dave…the terrorists did win.

TR said...

Not the hump day frivolity I was looking for while droppng an AM doodie. But not wrong.

I flew on Halloween weekend of 2001 to see a couple Widespread Panic shows in NOLA. The airport was a mess on the way back. Me and a bunch of severely hungover/still drunk folks were in a massive security line the next morning. I saw a guy I vaguely knew looking very agitated and upset in line behind me. His gf was trying to calm him down. I asked somebody with me who knew them what was going on. The response: "He took some acid that led to him to a dark place last night and he's still not out of it."

Made me feel good on a relative basis. I'm sure he was fun for security folks.

rootsminer said...

Hoo boy, flying on acid would not be good. A nice liquor and edible buzz gets me in the proper frame of mind.

I got married six weeks after 9/11. A lot of family opted to drive long distances rather than board an aircraft to get there.

Whitney said...

We mourned and celebrated Mark Ludvigsen in Manhattan the second Saturday after 9/11. People drove from remarkably long distances to pay their respects to our fallen brother. It was impressive.

I drove up from Norfolk that weekend and participated in the revelry. Pretty heavily. We went to one of those classic old New York pubs after the reception. Think it was perhaps the Old Town Bar. Word leaked that it was my birthday, and as such, a mission commenced to put my head in the bar toilet. I was scooped up and fought just a tad, prompting the incensed barkeep to sprint over and halt the action immediately — with a flurry of words profane and indignant. The crowd objected. I remember this exchange from someone in our midst.

“But this man just turned 31 years old!”

“Fuck you! That toilet’s over 100 years old!”

“…so… if the math holds… the man goes into the toilet three times!!!”

And there was much screaming and howling in approval. Not by the barman. I believe we were tossed.

TR said...

Tremendous recall by Whit, and the facts hold up. Twas an all-star Lammy gathering, albeit for a terrible reason. Yes - the crew got tossed from Old Town. Yes - many people thought jamming a 6’5” guy in a crowded NYC bar was appropriate. And yes - we had a bulls eye on us, especially after one not-to-be-named guy in our group started spitting dip spit into an empty ketchup bottle on the bar that the bartender had just cleaned out and was planing to refill. C’est la vie.

rob said...

i'm sure he had a name, tr

rootsminer said...

Who wouldn't love having a bunch of us in their bar?

TR said...

The answer would not surprise you, Rob.

Mark said...

I’m back home after a few days in Denver. Wish I could’ve enjoyed more of the city but I sadly still have to work for a living. I loved what I saw and plan to return.

Thanks again to TR for meeting me out. Also, had my first Top Golf experience on Monday night. Highly recommend.

TR said...

C’mon back! Plenty to do no matter what season it is.

I bought three tickets and a parking pass to the CU-Minny game on Sat. What are the tailgating rules when it’s an 11 AM kickoff and it’s just you and two kids? Three stealth beers in a Yeti? Zero is probably the right choice, but that’s not gonna happen.

Dave said...

the air police have my swiss army knife.

and i believe my son ian was conceived after a 9/11 memorial/drinkfest for lud-- the one where whit and i did a lot of cheating at darts while playing some nice fellow.

TR said...

Unrelated, but kudos to Rob for bringing the new Sturgill Simpson album to my attention here. Holy crap, that’s a fun concept album from him. He’s got the quintessential country voice to pull it off. If you strip out the ancillary tracks, there’s 10 songs that take 27 minutes to listen to. So much fun to listen to while driving out here.