Thursday, September 30, 2021

Emergency Gheorghasbord

In the September of our discontent, or at least of our lesscontent, I come here to serve, even more slapdash than normally.

I'm still working on the definitive list of Premier League clubs Gheorghies should support, but I must tell you that it may not work out for your teams. Case in point, zman's beloved Norwich, which currently sit bottom of the league table with six losses in six matches, two goals for and 16 against. The Canaries have a handful of winnable (or at least drawable) games over the next few weeks. If they don't start grabbing some points, they could be relegated by Christmas. 

My anniversary weekend was pretty damn sublime. I did have occasion over our time away to regret not doing something at our wedding all these years ago. Stumbled across video of a Brazilian named Gustavo Durso Aleixo headed down the aisle at his wedding in August. Y'all think I could've taught Whitney and Dave to do this?

If you're not following the end of the Major League Baseball season, you're missing out on a barnburner of a wild card race in the American League. With four games to play, a mere two games separate four teams. The Yankees are 90-68, currently in the lead. Boston trails by a game, with Seattle half a game behind the Sox and Toronto back just a half-game more. New York and Toronto play each other this evening, while Boston plays at Baltimore. The Yanks close with three at home against division champs Tampa Bay. The Sox play three at the dismal Nationals (I'll be at the Saturday game). Seattle finishes with three at home against the Angels, and the Jays host the rock-bottom Orioles for their final set. Crap. shoot. 

14 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm ready for my EPL club assignment. I already have my pub picked out to watch the games. A few local dudes watch their clubs (Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U) at a spot downtown called Grace O'Malley's. It's worthy. Now I just need to know for whom I'm cheering. (Make it a good one, buddy.)

Whitney said...

Also, it's been another train wreck of a season for the Mets, so I'll tune into the down-the-stretch excitement in the AL.

rootsminer said...

I think Whitney should obviously support Leicester City, right?

zman said...

That video further confirms the wisdom of my semi-elopement. Too bad the groom's suit shrunk in the wash.

Whitney said...

Rootsy, that makes sense to this guy

rob said...

rootsy, how 'bout you leave the team-pickin' to the professionals?

T.J. said...

what tier are the Michael Bolton Wanderers?

rob said...

they're in league one, teej, which is the third tier of the english professional game. as one would glean from the name.

rootsminer said...

Sorry, Rob. Didn't mean to overstep.

zman said...

Whit seems like more of a Crystal City guy, no?

zman said...

The Scottish league seems like more fertile ground for this exercise. rob is clearly destined to support Kilmarnock. The Richmond folks could be Midlothian.

rob said...

whit's car once broke down in aberdeen, so that seems an obvious scottish prem tie-in

zman said...

I went to bed in Shreveport, woke up Aberdeen, wonderin' why the hell I'm wanted in some town halfway between.

rootsminer said...

Look at Z quoting Johnny Cash lyrics. I'm so proud.