Thursday, June 11, 2020

Music Documentary Project: Early June Update

I've taken my foot off the gas a bit lately, similar to how G:TB was a well-oiled, postcounting machine in the early days of pandemic quarantining and has recently let up. If you can go outside and live, do so.

I also watched some non-music-documentary television.  It can get a tad monotonous to go from music doc to music doc, even if you alternate genres, styles, and approaches as I have tried to do. And so, I pivoted to:

The Last Dance - (Yes, another documentary. So what, I like 'em!) I watched every moment of the MJ saga.  Compelling as all get-out. He is who we thought he was, but moreso. More amazing, more complete as a player. more of a jackass as a teammate or competitor. To me, the most gripping moments were (a) those that demonstrated that he, as any sane person would, hates the 100%-all-the-time fan-clamor and hides out in a hotel room or his house; and (b) the moment he was presented with the suggestion that in order to be the best player/champion he had had to sacrifice being a "good guy," and that thought brought tears, a hasty explanation, and his demanding a break in the recording. It's better when Superman's a human after all.

Letterkenny - I binge-watched several seasons of this preposterous Canadian show (available on on Hulu,annoyingly). Hilarious and addictive, if ultimately a bit redundant. The scene where the guys are playing catch and Squirrelly Dan uncomfortably introduces the subject of his lady friend and her interest in the "butts-stuff" had me laughing heartily. A hard yes.

Seaver - I stumbled upon a one-hour Tom Seaver documentary on the MLB network. I'm an obvious sucker for the content, but there was plenty new to me, especially the unfortunate epilogue of Alzheimer's and his retreat from public life last year. Tom Terrific was the best Met there was, despite the franchise booting it majorly several times over.

Anyway, I have also made time for more music absorption.  Back to the quest...

ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads (2019) -- This was a tidy, little Netflix piece on the pioneer bluesman Robert Johnson and the generations of intrigue that have surrounded his eerily quick rise from kid with a guitar he couldn't much play to blues god. The story is well-presented and frankly sells itself -- selling one's soul to the Devil for talent.  And then there's his death at age 27. And the fact that (until last month) there were only two photographs ever taken of the man. When I lived across the way from Dave in the fraternity house, he bought a box set of Robert Johnson. I didn't know who the dude was. Turns out many a blues riff and/or style of playing -- which begat many a rock and roll riff and style of playing -- is attributed to one man. At 48 minutes, check it out.

Hip-Hop Evolution (Season 1) -- This is my shit. Z and I have served and rallied here before with old school and older school, but Season 1 of HHE is the jack from way back. Loved it. Planning to continue to dig in on the series and learn lots more along the way.

History of the Eagles (2013) -- Far, far away on the music spectrum from Kurtis Blow and DJ Run, you have Don Henley and Glenn Frey. I like the Eagles nearly as much as the next guy, and there's much to learn and enjoy here. It ultimately devolves into a soap opera, mostly between Frey and Don Felder. And here I thought Don Henley was the douche. But there are cool tidbits like footage of Henley and Frey as up-and-comers in the backing band for Linda Ronstadt, and anything Joe Walsh does is fairly fascinating. Enjoyed it.

The Beastie Boys Story (2020) -- I knew this would be great. I read several unflattering reviews (Pitchfork, AV Club) that called it "no fun." I still knew it would be great. I hadn't heard any of my friends raving about it. I still knew it'd be great.  And... it's great. I feel like I'm the perfect age to be a Beastie Boys fan. When LTI hit, I was a high-school juvenile delinquent Class Clown. As we've written here ad nauseum, when Paul's Boutique launched to crickets, were were jumping around the room heralding what must be a worldwide hit -- college is the perfect time to be exposed to experimentally dope new shit. CYH was a tiny bit more grown up, and we were nearly graduating (well, rob and Dave were). The "Sabotage" video broke and we were early 20's goofballs with jobs. By the time the three bad brothers were starting getting real respect (especially for albums gone by), we were older and commanding more respect than we had a right to. Still clowns, like the B-Boys, of course.  This doc has it all, despite shlocky reviewer's cranky demands for surprises and mayhem. MCA is missed majorly and given a highly fitting tribute.  It's great. Check it out.

The Van Halen Story: The Early Years (2003) -- This low-budget, straight to video obscurity piece was just entertaining enough. Spoiler alert: they paid for the rights to zero VH songs, so you won't hear any. Made me go straight to Spotify after and call up my faves. Also, they only rehash interviews with the band, nothing new -- but lots I hadn't seen. They do get lots of stories from roadies, security, and friends from coming up.  Which is at times better than the sanitized version of wild tales you get from aged rockers. (Eagles, for example.)  "Ed" and "Al" haaaaate "Roth." That's for damn sure. Almost as much as they hate "Dancing in the Street." This one entertained mildly for what it was.

We Jam Econo: The Story Of The Minutemen (2005) -- I loved this one. A long while back, a friend introduced me to The Minutemen. My first reaction was a recoil. Over decades, as I have dug in squarely on punk rock, I have come to love this kind of avant-garde punk. The Minutemen were not hardcore, they were honestly a step-and-a-half from Random Idiots, they were punk with a conscience, and they were beautiful. The documentary, exactly like the band, is pretty lo-fi. And it's solid. The lament of losing D. Boon so many years ago hits home, almost against all likelihood. This ain't no picnic, indeed.

loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies (2006) -- I was late to the game on the Pixies. My first wife was a fan during their 1987-1991 existence, and I learned to love their stuff through her influence soon thereafter. Too late, of course.  But they then regrouped in 2004, and we saw them at Constitution Hall in DC. Hell yes. This is a weird doc -- it isn't a retrospective, it's a behind-the-scenes look at the 2004/5 tour I mentioned. They'd reunited after 13 years, and interactions are awkward and yet uncontroversial, and there are excellent clips of songs from these shows but otherwise just some backstage banter that does not enthrall. Plus Black Francis with his shirt off.

It was very interesting to watch the Pixies one after The Minutemen. D. Boon and Mike Watt met with they were 13, and they were best friends until the end. They'd fight some, but like brothers. Loved one another. The four people in the Pixies met via a classified ad. They weren't friends and still aren't. They don't hate each other, but they were a great band the same way a successful small business often operates -- it was a job. They regrouped for money, clearly. It's almost deflating to fans, but hell, it's always about the music more than anything, and the music was and is exceptional to many of us.


I'll keep watching and conveying the highlights.  18 down thus far.  Suggestions and feedback welcomed.

19 comments:

Whitney said...

This amuses me:

Petition Launched to Replace Statue of Robert E. Lee with GWAR’s Oderus Urungus in Richmond, Virginia

Whitney said...

This also amuses me:

Right-wing fans mocked for boycotting Rage Against the Machine after realising band’s political stance

Twitter nincompoop named Scott: I use to be a fan until your political opinions come out. Music is my sanctuary and the last thing I want to hear is political b******t when i’m listening to music.
As far as i’m concerned you and Pink are completely done. Keep running your mouth and ruining your fan base.


Tom Morello: Scott!! What music of mine were you a fan of that DIDN’T contain “political BS”? I need to know so I can delete it from the catalog.

zman said...

To be fair, Rage has some pretty ambiguous lyrics--for example:

Yeah, I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun
These people ain't seen a brown-skinned man
Since their grandparents bought one

It's really hard to parse what they're getting at there. Similarly:

I am the NiƱa, the Pinta, the Santa Maria
The noose and the rapist, the fields' overseer
The agents of orange, the priests of Hiroshima
The cost of my desire
Sleep now in the fire

You can't really expect anyone to see the secret political message there.

zman said...

This is really freaky at 1:04.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4wkIPiTcY

rootsminer said...

A minor bone about Robert Johnson - while he was a great artist, he wasn't really the originator of the riffs he's known for. He just kinda fused Charley Patton with some Lonnie Johnson to make country blues sound a little more uptown.

Also, I think his records were recorded slower, which results in his voice and guitar having that ethereal quality when played back at 78rpm. I've heard some of his tracks where this is corrected, and it's quite a difference.

Lastly, I hate the Eagles, man. Give me some Creedence.

Whitney said...

I count on Rootsy to keep me straight in all things pre-WWII music. Not joking.

And I just watched that video, Z, and yes indeed, that's eerie. And horribly prescient.

Dave said...

i love "we jam econo" and the minutemen.

our obsession with "Letterkenny" faded during that weird episode when stewart and his meth friends dressed like clowns, did vandalism, and plotted terrorist acts.

Dave said...

hey rootsy!

thanks for ruining robert johnson for me.

this is my favorite robert johnson documentary and now you've gone and made me question it's veracity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqdL36VKbMQ

rootsminer said...

I do what I can. I didn’t say Robert Johnson wasn’t great - just that the myth is perhaps a bit beyond reality. I’ve been on a Charley Patton kick lately. After twenty years I can just about understand him.

OBX dave said...

Hey Whit, upcoming piece on the late great Mex-Econo in the Coast.

rob said...

apropos of not very much, i came across this grainy video of nels cline shredding a solo (i think the song is 'impossible germany') at jazz fest 2009. the significance? whit and i, along with our merry band of morons, were in the audience. i remember the red pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__peGvsjmbQ

Mark said...

Random music discovery of the week for me. “Watch for the Hook” is one of my all time one hit wonder rap songs. It’s Cool Breeze featuring the rest of the Dungeon Family (OutKast, Goodie Mob, Witchdoctor). Just discovered this week that the sample that drives the song is a remake of “Southern Man” by Merry Clayton. Blew my mind.

Whitney said...

Merry Clayton like Gimme Shelter Merry Clayton?

zman said...

Merry Brandybuck?

Mark said...

Fuck y’all.

T.J. said...

Hi Mark!

rob said...

merry, merry, why ya buggin’?

not buggin’ at all over here. my kidlet is an official graduate of tuscarora high school. motto: vaguely appropriating native american names to educate mostly affluent white kids since 2010.

i kid, i kid. some of the kids aren’t white.

rootsminer said...

More importantly Rob, how’s your back yard? And I mean that in the literal sense.

Also, I just earnestly returned to Dave’s Robert Johnson documentary link. Well played.

rob said...

my back yard is suddenly an oasis where our family and friends spend time in fellowship around a fire several times a week. i'm genuinely bummed that i didn't invest in it years ago.