Sunday, March 22, 2020

L'enfer, C'est Les Autres

Friday is garbage day so on Friday morning I went outside to take the empty cans back to the garage. I saw a neighbor on her lawn across the street brushing her dogs so I waved and yelled "Hi!" She waved back and said "How're you guys doing?" I am blessed with a rapier-sharp and lighting-quick wit so I instantly came up with the best response. I said "I feel like I'm living out Huis Clos." She looked at me and smiled while tilting her head, her demeanor indicating that she was trying to be polite but had no idea what I was talking about.

via GIPHY


I realize what was happening (this happens frequently, my neighbors don't read anything more complicated than coloring books) so I said "Did you ever read the book No Exit?" This particular neighbor is a teacher so I thought I had a shot here, but she said "No."

via GIPHY


I decided to make my wittiness clear. "It's a book by Jean-Paul Sartre. He was a French Existentialist author."

via GIPHY


"I had to read it in high school." (I left out the part where I read it in French, not English. I knew that wouldn't help me.)

via GIPHY


"It's about three people locked in a room and they can't get out. Eventually they realize they are in hell and one of them says 'Hell is other people.' That's what this is like!" (This is witty because being trapped inside with my kids is hell, but we have to do this because if we don't we'll catch a deadly disease from one of the people outside our house, so those people are hellish too. It's a really smart quip.)

via GIPHY


She failed to see the wit. I think she thought I was just complaining about my kids and that I really felt like I was trapped in hell. My neighbors are very literal, but not literate. Obviously.

I am positive that if I said that to any number of gheorghies I would get a chuckle and a wittier reply. Dave would likely throw back some veiled Camus reference involving death, maybe dead mothers in nursing homes. Whit would've made a comment in French (I assume he read it in high school French class too). TR would've called me a pussy, dragged me into my own house and jammed me in the powder room shitter--but he would've gotten the reference.

via GIPHY


Perhaps the niftiest part of this story is that Sartre said "hell is other people" because everyone has angst about they way other people perceive them. He wasn't writing in favor of isolation, but just explaining what social interactions do to our heads. Which is exactly what happened when I tried to make a joke with my neighbor and ended up feeling like a tool.

All this is to say I appreciate all you clowns. And this is why I've been practicing social distancing in my neighborhood for years.

17 comments:

rob said...

our little slice of heaven here, even with other people. thanks, z.

rootsminer said...

It's good to know we can count on Zman for awkward nerdy references that go over the heads of most Americans.

TR said...

Death counts ripping in Italy, Spain and US. Gonna be a morbid week ahead as we get these updates.

TR said...

Happy Sunday

Mark said...

Zman’s intellectual snobbery really gets the comments flowing.

T.J. said...

there has never been anyone as bad at their job as President Fucknuts

Dave said...

i was actually just thinking about camus' book "the plague." i might re-read it, in honor of the covid. but i definitely wouldn't have gotten the title in french, because i don't know ANY french.

because i am a man.

Dave said...

and T.J. you never got to see me work as a maintenance/greenskeeper at the public golf course when i was in high school. i'd have given trump a run for his money.

rootsminer said...

I hope none of you get 'Dance Monkey' stuck in your earhole, cause that tune is a stubborn little fucker to get rid of.

Mark said...

ESPN struck a deal with wwe to broadcast classic matches each Sunday for the foreseeable future. So I’m currently watching WrestleMania for the first time since elementary school.

T.J. said...

just declared tomorrow Hawaiian shirt day here at the home office.

zman said...

I knew Dave would mention Camus.

rob said...

this was all an elaborate plot to get dave to admit he likes the cure, i think

TR said...

Thankfully, Dance Monkey wasn’t big w/ my kids. But they love the hip hop tune Ok Boomer and something called Big Chungus. We now all call our dog Big Chungus.

We had our first issue with the kids tonight. We have given them slack, but they now want to do nothing but stare at screens. They act like books are poison. Time to bring back more structure on Monday. Gonna be a tough three months!

Whitney said...

I like The Cure. Especially Jumping Someone Else’s Train.

Professor G. Truck said...

i LOVE the cure. especially "disintegration." the cure is one of the bands from way back that i still listen to regularly.

rainy quarantine day. thank god we are headed for spring

Professor G. Truck said...

it is spring!