Sunday, March 29, 2020

Leesburg, A Musical Radius

Our man from the Neck had an inspired idea, and we've got nothing if we don't have time. So here's a playlist inspired by my hometown and guided by two (very loose) rules:
  1. I must have seen the band/artist at a small club in the greater Washington, D.C. area (For the purposes of this exercise, I deem the new 930 Club too big, but the old 930 Club and the old Bayou just right), and/or,
  2. The artist must have grown up within a 37.1-mile drive of Leesburg, Virginia. Which allows me to include North Springfield's own Dave Grohl.
So here we go:

Car Seat Headrest frontman Will Toledo grew up in Leesburg and went to Loudoun County High School, the same school that my daughter's boyfriend attends.

I've seen Carbon Leaf (featuring FOGTB - or at least FOW - Barry Privett on lead vocals and tin whistle) twice at Leesburg's venerable Tally Ho Theater.

My daughter and I saw Jake Shimabukuro and his band at the Tally Ho. Justin Trawick opened for him.

Seen George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic at the same little venue. Twice.

Pimps of Joytime
Pimps of Joytime played the Tally Ho on a cold, snowy Tuesday night in February. The 50 of us that braved the elements saw a killer show.

I've seen Rhett Miller play too many times to count, but only twice at a venue as small as Vienna's Jammin' Java.

Winchester, Virginia is 35.1 miles from Leesburg. It's the former home of Danimal. And Patsy Cline.

Back to the Tally Ho, where I saw Fishbone last year.

Saw The Seldom Scene, local bluegrass legends, at The Birchmere a decade or so ago.

The aforementioned Dave Grohl, object of much G:TB affection, was the drummer for Nirvana and is the frontman for Foo Fighters.

The first club show I ever saw was They Might Be Giants at the old 930 Club in 1988. I was with my then-21 year-old girlfriend. Been a stud from way back.

Our friend Giti Khalsa is the drummer for Seven Mary Three. A bunch of us, including a different then-girlfriend (who's now my wife) saw them play at the old 930, as well.

Different bunch of us, including the KQs, their way-cool daughter and niece, and the Marls' caught Sister Hazel at the Tally Ho.

More to come as people like Whitney who remember my life better than I do remind of shows I might've forgotten about.

Or more to come when my own memory jogs itself:

Caught the first few songs of a Dave Matthews Band show at the late, great Bayou before my sister puked all over herself and I had to take her home.

JMU band Everything played a fun show at The Bayou, as well. I saw them a few times at The Atlantis in Nags Head, as well. Partied with them back at our shithole of a house, too.

Speaking of The Atlantis, that glorious dump, I saw Fighting Gravity, nee Boy O Boy, there. Also saw one of The Waxing Poetics' final shows in the same place.

And several of the assembled Gheorghies saw The Connells at Trinkle Hall on the campus of The College of William and Mary. That was a mess.

Ooh, just recalled that I saw Trombone Shorty at the State Theater in Falls Church, right before he blew up.

Oh shit, forgot that Thao Nguyen grew up in Falls Church before matriculating at William & Mary. Added one of her tunes.

33 comments:

TR said...

From the last post (not that you or anybody should care):

I’ve had at least five drinks a night for 3+ weeks. But I’m locked into a keto diet - eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, cheese, salami, chicken, almonds, veggies and low sugar chocolate. That’s been a big help.

I ordered an ab wheel. It arrived y/day. I have very sore abs today. That device is a killer. I have adjustable dumbbells that range from 5-52.5 lbs. I also have an old rectangular coffee table that is my makeshift bench for some stuff. Running has not gone great and I don’t have a bike.

I think I’m gonna organize my attic this week.

Mark said...

I’m drinking more during the week than I usually do. Eating relatively healthy since we’re not going out to eat at all and trying to limit takeout to a couple nights a week at most.

As for exercise, I’m trying to change it up to keep things interesting. Everyday is either a run, an hour long power walk on my treadmill in my hot garage or I do twelve rounds (boxing time app) on the heavy bag in my garage. I have some dumbbells I can use a bit but not enough for my normal routine so I’m doing at least 100 push-ups a day. Not putting on weight so far.

I really miss going to the gym.

zman said...

Did you ever respect me in the first place? Spending this much time with zkids and trying to teach them and get them to clean up after themselves and not photobomb my work webexes has been stressful. I said a few things to my kids that I regret. Getting drunk only makes me worse in this regard.

rob said...

my 18 year-old is using the extra time afforded by circumstance to learn to skateboard. her sister is using it to watch every tiktok ever recorded. different strokes.

rob said...

pour out something in john deere green for joe diffie, dead today of coronavirus-related complications.

Shlara said...

I've lost about 6 lbs in the last few weeks just from the stress and anxiety. Despite the quick results, I do not recommend "constant state of panic" as a diet plan.

rob said...

if you need some physical distancing from all those cityfolk around you, the marls compound has lots of room and it's way out in the country.

rootsminer said...

In normal times, I usually don't eat anything until just before a lunch time workout, with proper lunch after. With no gym to go to, I've been going some days without eating until dinner. So I'm down a few pounds. Doubt I'll recapture my W&M freshman year weight loss. I went from 183>158 over that 9 months.

I went for a 25 mile road ride today. After 17 miles and about 1700 feet of elevation gain, I hopped off the Blue Ridge Parkway to head home, straight into a 20+mph headwind all the way home. A tad bit brutal.

Dave said...

i've been trying to drink every other night-- with varying success. TR leads me to believe i should give that up and just eat better. why not drink when i don't have to wake up early?

only one spot left to play tennis-- rest of courts are locked-- but the walmart parking lot was packed when i drove by. how does that make sense?

in response to zman, irvine welsh's dead men's trousers-- the resolution of the trainspotting gang-- is $1.99 right now on the kindle. i read some reviews, it's actually supposed to be good. i purchased it. review forthcoming, as soon as i finish "the murder of roger ackroyd," which was also $1.99 on kindle.

zman said...

I will check that out. Can’t go wrong with welsh.

TR said...

The trade-off of nightly boozing is obvious - sleep quality is not as great and the stool is not as solid (sorry, but that’s a fact). But with that said, I am still very “regular” due to my diet. I would guess my weight declines a bit due to no regular lifting. My basement sessions are not cutting it. I need to ramp up my running, which is contingent on less drinking. A conundrum.

Marls said...

Shlara was already invited to the Marls compound. The rest of you savages are invited as well. Dave can stay in the shed.

Spending the afternoon showing the two year old how to bet on horse racing.

Dave said...

this kickboxing video is great strength training. killed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LeHynYZLk

and the chick is cute

TR said...

I should start doing those videos, especially since Trump put us on lockdown until the end of April.

zman said...

I like reading more than exercising. I haven’t been eating as much as I usually do so that offsets my slothdom.

Shlara said...

It's not the city that's stressing me out, it's the whole situation.

Like Teei and Mrs. Teej, I live in a lovely urban-ish setting where we have neighbors close, but not too close. We had a nice backyard gathering this afternoon--everyone was safely in their own backyards and we caught up on the latest quarantine recs for food prep and TV watching.

rob said...

currently on a zoom with dave, zman, squeaky and a bunch of dave's jersey friends. it's as weird as it sounds.

rob said...

whitney just joined us. got weirder. lot of graying beards on this sumbitch.

TR said...

Thanks for the invite, guys.

Squeaky said...

TR, you did not miss much. Most of the chatting was by the NJ folks. Best cameo was of zson as a ghost like form entering in and out of zman's space backdrop.

TR said...

One benefit of social distancing is folks can’t tell if you haven’t brushed your teeth recently. I’m about to go food shopping w/ dragon breath.

My kids were assigned an obscene amount of work this week. Will not be sustainable through April (or June).

rootsminer said...

How do you gently but effectively suggest to someone (who probably watches fox news) that it may have been possible for our country to prepare better for this global pandemic? Asking for a friend.

Dave said...

sorry TR, i didn't have your number to text you the link. i did try . . .

it's fun to see everyone but zoom drinking just doesn't feel like the real thing. i need to come across three-dimensionally.

rootsminer said...

Guys, you're just casually tossing around the Zword. I think that's frowned upon.

Whitney said...

I second that, Rootsy. And I say so with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z0Pm7tccvc

Marls said...

Rootsy, you might point out that for over two decades that experts have been saying that we are unprepared for this and that the last three administrations have really not done enough. They will then likely fault President Obama for leaving Don a broken system. You can then point out that President Trump “might” have made the situation worse by reducing CDC resources and even if he had not made things worse, he did not do anything during the first 75% of his term to make things any better. Since the President Claims that he was able to fix the VA in just a few weeks, you would think he could have fixed our “broken” pandemic response in three years.

Whitney said...

I'm not sure at all why you'd try to convince anyone that, at this point, still needs convincing. You'd better better off to provide yourself a little amusement and simply say, "If Obama were president, we'd never have heard of coronavirus," enjoy the reaction, and be on your way.

Marls said...

If Obama was President now, this would still be a colossal shitshow, albeit one where I had a lot more faith in the administration’s ability to make well reasoned, science based decisions.

Anybody that thinks that their person would have had us better prepared is kidding themselves.

Good Lord, can you imagine what Fox News would be running if President Obama was still in office with the current stats?

rob said...

we’ll obviously never know, but if this happened when obama was in charge, i think we would have mobilized much earlier when things started looking dire in asia, and while it would still be a massive public health issue, we would have been much better prepared to test, quarantine, etc much earlier. no getting around a shitshow, to be sure. hell, if either bush was at the helm, i’d expect the same as i would under obama. trump is singularly unequipped to deal with this.

zman said...

The testing failure was completely unforeseen. It never occurred to anyone who drew up the CDC playbooks that we couldn't make a rapid accurate test in the first instance. That isn't Trump's fault directly (no one expects him to develop analytical methods) but he did appoint Redfield who is not covered in glory. This is a multifactorial failure but ultimately some blame must rest with the person in charge of the Executive branch. I think that's Jared Kushner nowadays.

T.J. said...

VA on lockdown until June 10th...which means 6/9 is gonna be End of Lockdown Eve and it gonna be lit in the Commonwealth

Dave said...

i'm going to come clean and admit i didn't prepare well for this either. no masks, scrabble, guns, toilet paper, wood-burning stove, roomba, etc.

TR said...

Yeah, that June target date sucks. Hoping that NJ's curve flattening endeavors and potential peak in a couple weeks help us see the light a bit earlier. Probably won't. Murphy is guiding folks to believe things will remain as is well into May.

Not sure I'll make it through this if we have great late spring weather, nowhere to go and nothing to do. Having Spring Break next week will be painful.