Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Whitney's Second Coming

At Gheorghe: The Blog you can count on us to break the news, quite badly sometimes.

The results are in, and they're . . . we'll, they're in.  Last you saw a Rock Hall headline, Dave Matthews Band won the 2020 Fan Vote overwhelmingly, with over 1,000,000 votes cast online.  So that means they're in (and Rob's happy), right?

Ha ha.
Ha ha ha.

It means DMB got exactly one (1) ballot put into the mix with their name on it. Among 1,000.  What a colossal waste of time for the legions of fans that figured they could will DMB into the RnRHoF with their "voting" or perhaps their "bots," to keep the recent rules-bending theme going. The lesson: there is no rhyme and reason to the Fan Vote, and it's a typical situation for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What would you say?

Anyway, let's go to the big board.


So what did we learn?  Well, other than that the Fan Vote is a crock of dancing nancies, we learned that I'm getting to know these jokers.
  • I pegged DM, the Doobies, Whitney, and Biggie.
  • I backed the wrong proto-punk act when I said MC5, not T. Rex... and MC5 now stands for 5 nominations without entry, while T. Rex had never been nominated. They gotta be pissed.
  • I picked the wrong member of this co-headlining tour... I went sentimental, which they do not do in the RnRHoF.
  • I thought Judas Priest was worthy. But I guess I've got another think comin', or another "thing" comin' if you're Rob Halford. Maybe that's why they kept him out.
That's all for now. I'm your G:TB (Gheorghe: Tiger Beat) roving reporter Whitney (no relation).  Rock on.

16 comments:

zman said...

This is perhaps the most arbitrary HoF which I guess makes sense. Dancing about architecture and all that.

TR said...

Trump is taking about JP Morgan earnings at the China presser. And as I type that, he starts spewing nonsense. Embarrassment to all of us.

TR said...

The RnR HoF is a blatant money-grab by Wenner, a shameless starfucking sociopath coke addict. Allowed him to continue the mutual sucking up b/w himself (as a starmaker running Rolling Stone magazine) and rock stars. Of course, things have changed, now that nobody needs print media.

There is zero integrity behind it and it should be ignored. Only benefit is it makes Cleveland slightly less sad. Slightly.

Whitney said...

TR, I agree but it’s all we got and virtually every Hall of Fane out there has its controversy, hypocrisy, pointlessness, irrelevance, and other problems in some way at some point. Plus, postcount.

Whitney said...

Speaking of which, I have another teed up but I see you have one done or mostly done. You want to go tomorrow or wait? I’m happy to break up my monotony and go Friday.

And THAT, loyal readers, is a privileged look behind the scenes at the inner workings of the engine that is GTB.

rob said...

0.6 post per day (ppd) pace through the first half of january. scorching! pace yourself, my dudes. i have two or three ideas that i'm marinating on. no need to burn out early.

zman said...

I love TR in couch scotch mode but I'm surprised he's there at 1:06 pm.

rob said...

yes, virginia, there should be equal rights for women codified into law

zman said...

Apparently I'm most aligned with Yang, Bloomberg, and Biden, in that order. I agree on very few things with Warren and Gabbard, and next to nothing with Sanders. Yang surprised me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

Whitney said...

Virginia Ratifies The Equal Rights Amendment, Decades After The Deadline

Virginia became the pivotal 38th state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment after its Senate and House of Delegates voted Wednesday to approve the change to the U.S. Constitution.

Under the U.S. Constitution, amendments become law when they're ratified by at least three-fourths of U.S. state legislatures — or 38 out of 50. However, the ERA's original deadline for ratification expired in the 1980s, putting its future on uncertain legal ground.


Way to go, uh, Virginia, I guess...

Whitney said...

I'm most aligned with Bloomberg, then Biden, then Klobuchar.

I'm not aligned with Warren or Sanders, like Z.

rob said...

warren, then yang. biden is dead last. gonna vote for whichever one wins the nom.

today's sentence of dave is scary as shit. not gonna vote for dave.

TR said...

I’m a Biden/Bloomberg disciple, apparently. 12/20 for both. I had multiple answers that no Dems agreed with.

Whitney said...

I was 17 or 18 on Bloomberg. Hmmm.

20 for 20 on Monty Brewster / None of the Above.

TR said...

Pour some out for Rocky Johnson.

TR said...

Big night for NJ college basketball. Seton Hall (ranked 18th) won at Butler (ranked 5th). It is Seton Hall's 7th straight win, and they have played well against some solid conference foes: DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier and Butler.

And closer to Dave, Rutgers continues to show quasi-competence. They beat an Indiana team at home tonight, which came into the game with a 13-3 record. Rutgers is now 13-4 and 4-2 in the Big Ten. They beat Seton Hall when they were ranked and beat Penn State when they were ranked. They have a lot of cupcake wins for sure, but this is Rutgers, fer chrissakes. They last made the tourney in 1991. Having them on the bubble is a minor miracle.