Friday, January 17, 2020

A District Ex-Pat, Wishing Ruefully

One of the not-that-many reasons I lament having left big city life in 2005 can be summed up in one online stroll.
  1. Go to any of the websites/apps featuring a calendar of live arts performances for a city/region*.
  2. Select Norfolk, VA.
  3. Peruse.
  4. Select Washington, DC. (Or New York, NY; Philadelphia, PA; or even Raleigh, NC for that matter.)
  5. Peruse.
  6. Review comparatively.
*My site of choice has been Pollstar for years, but I also call upon JamBase and others for no real reason from time to time.

I miss out on a massive slew of during-the-week or inconvenient-weekend shows in larger areas.  The most prominent acts of our time only hit the big stadia where they can get the most bangin' bang for their buck. Even the bands that are throwin' back mid-range gravitate elsewhere first. It's simple economics.

Norfolk/Virginia Beach/etc. -- once known as Tidewater, then christened Hampton Roads 30+ years ago, occasionally called Coastal Virginia or SEVA, then rebranded ham-fistedly as "The 757" this past December . . . whatever it's called, it suffers from the French syndrome known as cul-de-sac-itis, as we are a distanced offshoot on the East Coast rock and roll corridor of I-95, and we are a road to nowhere. This pleases some xenophobic residents, impacts supply chain, and limits performing arts visitors. Sad but true.

So we starve, musically speaking, or we overpay. In 2012, a local venue paid $140,000 to land The Black Keys. That seems steep for this middle-sized burg to be plunking down on someone not prefixed as Sir and who dropped their first record post-9/11. Again, just for dollars and cents reasons. But I had GA Floor tix and dug that show.

Perhaps someday Pharrell and company can help elevate this corner of the state up from a cornerstone of Colonial American history into something more culturally and rock-relevant. This was a start. In the meantime, I'm left to lean on my monitor like it's the plate glass of a storefront and window-shop at concerts in other towns.

Case in point: The Exile Follies

Three indie-rock stalwarts whose commercial heyday... okay, indie acts don't have a commercial heyday. Let's just say those of you who drift (Rob) or even dwell (Squeaky) in the realm of sub-superstar bands of the 80's and 90's know these three cats from back then.

Grant-Lee Phillips
Band: Grant Lee Buffalo
GLB Songs I Like Best: "Mockingbirds," "Truly, Truly"
Also: His solo album Nineteeneighties acoustically covered alt-rock tunes from... guess when. "Love My Way" stands out. Plenty of other chill albums through the years.
Fun Fact: He's of Native American heritage and a direct descendant of those who walked the Trail of Tears. And he's cool.

Kristin Hersh
Band: Throwing Muses (with the fantastic Tanya Donelly)
TM Songs I Like Best: "Bright Yellow Gun," "Mexican Women," "Not Too Soon"
Also: She has a fairly robust solo catalog, but the first song off her first album is my favorite -- "Your Ghost," with Michael Stipe on the chorus.
Fun Fact: She once sent a direct Twitter message to me about something I said. (It wasn't "cease and desist."). She's cool.

John Doe
Band: X (with the fantastic Exene Cervenka)
X Songs I Like Best: "White Girl," "The World's a Mess, It's in My Kiss," "Under the Big Black Sun," "4th of July," etc.
Also: Solo stuff and collaborations abound. Saw him do "Gimme Shelter" live, and it was blistering. Like "The Golden State" a lot.
Fun Fact: I almost ran him over backstage in Tipitina's in 2008. My starstruck response to him: "Hey, it's John Doe... I mean, uh, sorry." And he chuckled. He's cool.

The aforementioned Gimme Shelter before the aforementioned near-collision:

In 2002, after each of their bands had pretty much ceased to be, these three happened upon each other and launched a small, quiet tour of intimate venues called The Exile Follies.

I read about it much later. Sounded intriguing.  As described by Phillips:
I suppose there was a curiosity about pooling our strengths together in such a way that it allowed for some creative elbow room. The old tradition of songwriters in the round, where everyone sits in a circle and swaps songs was hard for any one of us to imagine. We came from the sticky clubs, where the speakers were always on the blink and chairs were a liability. We decided to tweak it a bit.
Our show was broken up into individual sets, just one of us on stage until the moment when the next performer would take the mic. As a transition, two of us would perform together. Vaudeville stuff. The running order came down to a coin toss until we settled into a comfortable rhythm. The evening would culminate with all three of us performing together.
They're running it back this year. Aaaaaand, circling back to my point, they are only hitting:
  • DC - Tues, Feb 4
  • Philly - Weds, Feb 5
  • NYC - Thurs, Feb 6
  • Boston - Fri, Feb 7
  • Cleveland - Weds, Feb 12
  • Chicago - Fri, Feb 14
Oh, well.  Had I not moved, I'd definitely drop $32 and hit the City Winery in DC on a Tuesday for virtually on-stage seats and tables and bevs and rock and/or roll.  

Anyway... go check it out, big city types. Maybe I'll see you there.

19 comments:

TR said...

Pros and cons in a smallish town, Whit. Having the beach nearby is worth something.

Content generation pace YTD is quite astounding. We have this engine running in, um, 3rd gear.

rob said...

happy 61st(!) birthday to the original cute rock babe, susanna hoffs

rootsminer said...

I'm similarly isolated here across the commonwealth, though we're not quite the cul-de-sac of "The 757" (they're really branding it that way now?). Fortunately I'm content to take what comes or stay home and pick a guitar or spin records.

And we have some really good local talent here that I can enjoy. I get to see The Red Skulls in a couple weeks, which will be kick ass rock show even though it's been over 15 years since they were playing together regularly.

Whitney said...

TR, you’re right, and it’s a trade-off I made willingly and would again every time. I’m just whining when I don’t get what I want in musical appearances down here.

And Rootsy, we will hit the Harvester someday.

zman said...

The NorVa calendar looks pretty good to me: Raphael Saadiq, Allman Betts Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, Dead Kennedys. I'm in the process of convincing zwoman that she wants to see Lauryn Hill for Valentine's Day. Also coming this year, and surprisingly, to a theater near me is Ministry. I didn't know they still toured.

TR said...

I’ve heard terrible things about Lauryn Hill live. Maybe do some interweb searching on that thing, that thing, that th-i-ing.

TR said...

A few of you have met my high school buddy Mike, who went to JMU. He has a son who is a senior in high school. The kid started a Yankee fan Instagram account a few years ago. He now has 113K followers and makes real money with it. It is one of the biggest fan accounts. The account is @theyankeereport.

He went viral in November as the guy who brought the photo of the Houston dugout monitor to the attention of the twitter account Jomboy (the video sleuth who put together all the cheating videos). My buddy's son is prominently referenced and quoted in this ESPN story. Pretty cool stuff for a good kid with a bright future.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476354/how-internet-helped-crack-astros-sign-stealing-case

Whitney said...

Wow. That’s crazy. And hopefully only brings good things with it and not backlash from asswipes.

My daughter’s friend and classmate did a similar sports video Inst acct and sold the rights to it for $200k when he was a sophomore. Ridiculous.

Whitney said...

And the Dead Kennedys would be a huuuge draw for me if Jello Biafra were still a part of it. As it is, I will be okay with missing it to drink in Munich with Paci that night.

mr kq said...

Picked up the Pretenders first album today for 6 bucks. Chuffed.

Mark said...

Nearly all of Florida suffers from the same tour skipping affliction as Hampton Roads (that what I’ll always call it). Unless you live in Miami you’re missing out on a TON of tours. Orlando is so rare for most acts (still an hour away), instead of being sad when a tour comes doesn’t come through, I’m openly excited when one does.

Danimal said...

Cool stuff TR. Good to see jmu getting some props here for once too.

TR said...

It appears Jack McDowell has no fucks to give.

Mark said...

Wife got me a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style for Christmas. My first bottle of good Old Forester. It’s quite good. A lot of mouth heat though. I know that’s a weird description but it makes sense if you’ve had it.

rootsminer said...

No one? Ok, I’ll do it. I got you’re mout heat right here!

Just kidding. Bottoms up, all (unless you’re observing dry January).

Mark said...

Heat! I had to get it on! (Wayne Groh voice)

rob said...

waynegroh!

just watched the heat gun battle scene. again. not a better heist gun battle, in this humble reviewer's opinion.

Mark said...

I had to get to it on, Rob.

I was a late comer to “Heat” but I fucking love that movie. The gun fight is an all timer. They kept the real sound for it. Makes a big difference.

Mark said...

Also, the Mavs have to stop with these Fresh Prince ass jerseys.