Sunday, June 17, 2018

Got my Mind Set on Wanting to Rock


(Before you read, here's the gist of this nonsensical post: Which phrase is repeated more in a song - "I wanna rock" in Twisted Sister's song of that name, or "set on you" in George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You?" Think about it, make guesses and then read on to find the answer!)

Well yes, I am having a fine Father's Day. Thank you for asking. The recipe for success started with not having much scotch lying around the house on Saturday night. One nightcap and a 10:30 PM bed time made it easy to hit the gym when it opened at 7 AM Sunday morning. I did some nautilus and then decided to hit the bagel shop to buy breakfast for the rest of the fam (I'm off carbs, so no delicious bagels for me, unfortunately).

It was a beautiful morning, and I had the windows down in the car when leaving the gym. I dial-flicked to Ozzy's Boneyard just as Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock" came on. It was the perfect mindless tune for my five-minute drive. As I drove, I couldn't help but notice that Dee Snider pretty much just says "I Wanna Rock" over and over again, as well as saying "I WANT to Rock". Once you focused in on it, it was comical.

It reminded me of one early 90's song where the lead singer just repeats the title/chorus over and over again. That song, of course, is George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You," a shit-burger of epic proportions that ran heavily on MTV when i was in high school.


Because it's Father's Day and I finished my morning chores (fed family, watered flowers/bushes, walked the dog we are dogsitting, set up sprinkler in back yard), I decided to count the repeated phrases in each song, It is such an inane and pointless mission that it is perfect fodder for this fine blog.

We'll start first with I Wanna Rock. I decided to include both "I Want to Rock" and "I Wanna Rock" as acceptable because they're both conveying the message that Dee Snider wants to rock. I loved this album a lot when it came out. I think I can sing along to every song, including the terrible power ballad "The Price" and the creepy "Captain Howdy." I may not have loved this band as much as Marls though, given he owned a double-live CD of the band. I love him for owning that. Strong Island pride indeed.

Turns out Dee Snider says that phrase 26 times in the song, an average of once every 7.1 seconds. I know, it would be cooler if the song was five seconds shorter. C'est la vie. But the message is clear. Dee wants to rock.



Turning to the Harrison tune, we faced a quandary. Do we count only the full "got my mind set on you" or do we also include when he (or the backup singers) simply say "set on you?" We decided to just focus on "set on you."  Turns out Harrison and his posse of sadness utter that phrase 26 times as well, an average of once every 8.9 seconds.



So there you have it. Go on and impress family, friends and lovers with this knowledge. Happy Father's Day.


18 comments:

Mark said...

I try to care about golf but I don’t. I just don’t. And I’m bumming because my recent tattoo appointment is keeping me out of the pool this weekend.

Donna said...

Tortuga’s Lie lunch yesterday to start our week at the beach! And Brazil did not win. Go underdogs. And peach daiquiris! Yay summer!
BTW—what’d y’all think of Mickelson yesterday?!

Whitney said...

TR, Weird Al agrees with you:

https://youtu.be/JWi5jdgTUJs

Shlara said...

i just started watching Billons. This show is good.

Whitney said...

Dono Jono really killed the convo. Seems like GTB needs some stimulation today.

rob said...

it's no secret that i think trump is a fucking buffoon and that we'll all probably die because of his leadership. but we're getting a motherfucking space force first, y'all.

zman said...

Sorry I haven't been too chatty here lately. Here's what I've been up to since Memorial Day:

My mom collapsed with exhaustion the day after Memorial Day.
My mom had a stroke in the hospital two days after Memorial Day.
A guy who looked like Frank Zappa performed brain surgery on my mom to remove a blood clot.
While all this was going on, I had to find in-home care for my grandmother as my mother takes care of her (hence the exhaustion and stroke).
And it's 30-45 minutes each way to see them.
My mother woke up with aphasia (like the Greasetruck song) and right side paralysis.
Eventually I moved my grandmother to an assisted living community for a 30-day "respite care" visit.
My grandmother has complained bitterly about the assisted living community every day since then.
My mom moved to a rehabilitation center, so I had to go to her house and pack up some clothes for her to wear; naturally I got it all wrong.
I also had to root through my mom's and grandma's stuff to find their Medicare cards, Rx cards, supplemental insurance cards, living wills, POAs, etc.
I had to prepare a POA so that I can sign on behalf of my grandma (my mom has POA for her with no alternate in the event of incapacity); this was something I could do easily.
TR helped me pick up my grandma's easy chair and schlep it to the assisted living place so she would stop complaining about the chair in her room.
Mark provided tremendous insight into the eldercare environment--it's crazy.
My father-in-law went into kidney failure as a result of the treatment for his congestive heart failure.
Now he's at home in hospice care.
I found a new assisted living facility into which I will move my mom and grandma sometime next week, exact date TBD due to the mercurial nature of my mom's rehabilitation center.
I had to buy clothes for my mom to do PT because she had no suitable exercise clothes or even sneakers--I got a lot of things wrong during this endeavor.
My station wagon died in the driveway but I managed to get it fixed in the driveway the next day.
My dryer stopped getting hot--it spins but it won't get hot.
I'm trying to find a mover who will move these two old broads into assisted living on a moment's notice.
I continue to work for a living, full time--I was even deposed last week!
I also have a wife and two kids to pay attention to.
One of those kids got into it with another kids at school, my wife got the call and that put her over the edge.
Then my wife went to Vegas for the week for a work conference so I'm Han Solo right now.

As a result my posting/commenting output dipped a bit, but I think I'm building up a reservoir of good karma. I plan on buying some scratch-off tickets on the way home.

Whitney said...

Cripes, Z, I am so sorry to hear it!
That's an assload of tough stuff. May the load get lightened and your luck be brighter in the very near future. And best to you in terms of family health.

rob said...

gracious. this will, indeed, be a good test of karma's existence. she owes you several.

TR said...

While my wife and I are sad that our kids have no living grandparents, the cost/stress/inconvenience of elder care is a mofo. Tough situation for many of you to have to deal with.

Zman’s news was an obvious bummer to me. It came a week after a friend’s mom died and a week after a good friend’s good friend committed suicide. June needs to get its shit together for my friends.

zman said...

Thanks for your kind words. In better news, my boss said "I've had it, I'm going home" and walked out so I guess I can leave early to see my grandma.

Marls said...

Zed - sorry to hear all the crap flowing down to you. Please let us know if we can help in any way. Our dryer works. You can mail your damp clothes to us.

rob said...

if only this option existed during gheorghefest

zman said...

But it did! We had a washer and dryer!

Marls is blatantly plotting to get his hands on my underpants.

Marls said...

I used said washer and dryer at Gheorghefest. I’m a drunk not a Visigoth.

Marls said...

Z, I’ve seen you wander the halls of Unit M in your boxers to have an early morning smoke on the “balcony”. You can keep your skivvies.

TR said...

I have been diving into Bourdain’s shows. I always gave it a bit of my time, but not a lot. Watching them now, I see why so many folks loved that dude. Each show is a heavy dive into the cultural history of that city/country. Really good stuff.

Shlara said...

Zman, I’m sending you and your family hugs because you need it after that shitty week. I also believe in karma, so I know that lots of good is coming your way soon.