Saturday, July 29, 2017

Amazing Human Tricks

I'm readily and consistently amazed by the sheer variety of the human experience, the multi-hued, manifoldly abled diversity of our brothers and sisters the planet wide.

Like an increasing number of mostly comfortable citizens of the world, I've completed a couple of Spartan races. I'm modestly well-conditioned, and entirely devoid of strength, so I ran well, climbed nearly everything that required it, and did a shitload of burpees when I couldn't completely execute some of the strength events. (Fucking monkey bars, man.)

I ran my most recent race with a guy who's a few years older than me, and a pair of twenty-somethings. The former is married to a woman who owns a local gymnastics gym, and the latter were both coaches at the same gym. I was envious of their sick coordination, absurd body control and strength in endless supply, though I suspect they were a bit surprised that a 45 year-old kept leaving them behind on the running portions of the event.

All of this is preface, really, for a couple of videos. The first is one of the two youngsters at a prominent gymnastics camp, where each year the coaches put on an exhibition for the campers. Check out my man Mark via this Facebook video, which I can't figure out how to embed.

At the same camp, a world-renowned tumbler named Aaron Cook attempted to complete the first-ever standing double backflip. As in, from a standing start, this dude tried to do two full rotations. I've tried to do a single backflip on a trampoline and nearly killed myself. To put it mildly, even thinking about a standing double is insane.

Cue Aaron Cook:



People, especially those outside the halls of American power, are pretty damn amazing.

15 comments:

Whitney said...

Gheorghies... yesterday was as filled with emotion as any I've experienced in recent memory.

I woke up at 4:40am to drive from SEVA to Maryland to play in the 11th annual FlynnFest, a golf tourney and drinking extravaganza to remember our friend Dave Flynn.

The golf course is a couple of hours from the town in Pennsylvania where our other fallen comrade Evan Lloyd lived. and where his brother and dad still live. Our pals Vicky and Cricket -- Vicket -- were going to be visiting, so I figured it was a good time to check in with the Lloyd Gang.

I probably... no, definitely underestimated the effect of seeing Ev's dad and telling bittersweet old stories over beers for hours after doing the same at FlynnFest. It was ambitious.

On the drive from MD to PA, I looked at my phone and saw voice mails from my sister, mom, and uncle. Never good. My grandmother died yesterday. Now, after 96 years, her passing warrants the celebration of a life rather than sad mourning, but it was still jarring. I was the first grandkid, she was my last living grandparent, and I had by chance popped in to see her at the retirement community not 24 hours prior. She was lucid and so excited to see me that she got super teary. I was the last family member to see her alive, and I told her how much I loved her as I walked out the door Thursday. Rest In Peace, Grammie, and here's to your heavenly reunion with Grampa Jack.

Anyway, yesterday I managed to hold it together pretty well. Poignant moments here and there got to me, but by and large I found perspective and appreciation for lost loved ones rather than sheer sadness.

Something 'bout a cool, foggy PA morning. I woke up before everyone -- except for Evan's niece and nephew... nephew named Evan Lloyd -- and came out by the pool. A little too much absorbing all of the last 24 hours and I found myself weeping heartily by the pool, my mind on round robin rotation of missing Flynn, Ev, and my grandmother.

Anyway, the standard result of these kinds of moments for me is to make sure that my friends know how much I care about them and our friendships. Hence...

I love you guys.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dipshittery.

Squeaky said...

I pulled both hamstrings watching that video.

If anyone among us is working at Santa's Village or Story Land it would be Paci. He had a family season pass at Story Land for years.

Mark said...

Love you too, Whit. Seriously. I've only met you twice but I feel like I know you better than plenty of people I regularly interact with. That's why I love G:TB. Dipshittery and all.

Mark said...

I'm a sucker for a soul sample in a rap song. That said, the sample on 4:44 is fucking amazing.

Whitney said...

Mark, excellent comments.

Mark said...

4th quarter of the CFB National Championship game on ESPN U. This game was good. The 4th was epic.

TR said...

Finagled my way into the corporate box for tonight's Phish show at MSG. They are doing an audacious thing - repeating no songs in a 13-night run. The run is called the Baker's Dozen and each show has a donut theme, b/c Phish.

Awkward b/c there will be clients and colleagues I don't know there. And I'm meeting a buddy beforehand to get special edibles to aid my enjoyment. Odds that this night goes well for me professionally are slim. To none.

Whitney said...

Have fun,TR. Don't get fired.

TR said...

Harpua

Whitney said...

William & Mary still can't figure me out:

http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2017/mathematicians-to-gather-at-william--mary-for-whitney-problem-workshop.php

Danimal said...

Steve Bartman presented with a Cubs World Series ring today...good on ya mate.

rob said...

scaramucci. out.

Danimal said...

way!

Danimal said...

Mrs. Teej has a birthday today. Happy birthday!

zman said...

And Mario Cantone fades back into obscurity.