Tuesday, September 06, 2016

WWzD: I need this 504 convertible

I spend more time than I care to admit pawing through the Hemmings app. My desire for a vintage air-cooled 911 in a lurid hue is well documented. Unfortunately others in my age demographic share this desire, and the ballers among us have driven 911 prices through the roof. There are several other cars I'd like to own and that are within the reach of my relatively limited means. Foreshadowing for another episode of WWzD!

I've also considered buying a cheap but cool old car abroad--although many foreign cars are impossible to register in the US, once they are at least 25 years old you can import and register them legally. Now all the big-timers out there can get their 959s!

The ideal car would be good-looking (sorry all you homeless Lotus Europae out there), European (the entire impetus for availing myself of the 25 year rule), relatively uncommon in the US but plentiful abroad (so it's easy to get parts), convertible (natch--anyone who dislikes convertibles never owned one or simply has no soul), and cheaper than a Honda Accord (because I'm cheap).

That said, I always believed that the likelihood I would ever find something I would legitimately want to buy on Hemmings was barely more than zero. But then I found this 1978 Peugeot 504 convertible.


Only the French--those brilliant voluptuaries who brought us mayonnaise, brassieres, Laetitia Casta, champagne, tongue kissing, cabarets, fried shoestring potatoes, Bridget Bardot, foie gras, roulette, menages a trois, Catherine Deneuve, latex, bikinis, and the Statue of Liberty--could make something so aesthetically wonderful.

The proportions are fantastic and make ladies swoon. The front swells over the wheels and plunges down to meet the headlights, giving the front a serious and purposeful, but not overly/comically intimidating, mien. The front overhang is almost nonexistent. The interior is preposterously Gallic: the steering wheel has only two spokes (and they're at 3 and 9 o'clock for proper hand placement); none of the switches are labeled; the air vents are positioned so that they cannot possibly blow air on the driver or passenger; the most prominent control, other than the steering wheel and shifter, is the center-mounted cigarette lighter; and the windows appear to be raised and lowered via a knob (as opposed to a more practical crank).


According to this fool who also fell victim to the Peug's siren song, there are about a dozen 504 coupes and convertibles in the US. So this drop-top 504 ticks almost all the boxes. At 26500 Euros it's less than a fully loaded Accord, but it's still more than I'm willing to spend. Perhaps I should modify this particular requirement to a used-but-well-loved-and-maintained Honda Civic from the 20th century.


Further, I have no idea how much it will cost to get this beauty over here from the Netherlands. And my garage is too small to hold a car. And I wouldn't want to store this exposed to the elements in my driveway (which would be at max capacity with another car). And zwoman would not appreciate the expenditure (as opposed to saving up to remodel the kitchen or send zkids to college). A man has to have dreams though.


PS: I hope you enjoy the 6th day of the 9th month!

17 comments:

Clarence said...

Zman wins Gheorghie of the Week by Tuesday. Don't often see that. On a tear.

rob said...

gheorghies hate frog cars, as it turns out

rootsminer said...

I was out carrying my backpack over Virginia's highest peaks over the holiday weekend. It appears Zman was busy carrying this blog with some strong output.

zman said...

I'll try to come up with something more American.

Dave said...

that car is sillier than mayonnaise. go with the new kitchen, you'll get more out of it (and you can use it when it's raining)

zman said...

Says the man in the minivan. zdaughter just ate 20-some-odd pieces of chewing gum. Now that's silly.

Catpell said...

just finished my first day of school/coaching. a four day week is three days too long.

Clarence said...

Quit complaining, Catherine. You get to be away from Dave -- that should always make you happy.

Mark said...

Leaving on a short vacation to Miami tomorrow. My desire to work today is waning. Rapidly.

Dave said...

catherine definitely loves her job for just that reason. when we taught in syria, at the same school, i drove her crazy. too much dave.

zman said...

If I were smart I would file a patent application claiming a case for the iPhone 7, the case comprising an adapter on the bottom of the case wherein the adapter splits the Lightning port into two Lighting ports. This way you can charge the phone while your earbuds are plugged in. In another embodiment, the adapter comprises a 3.5 mm headphone jack. This way I can continue to use my trusty old earbuds with a built-in microphone to talk hands-free without having to resort to the wildly impolite speaker function.

Just a shameless grab for more earphone sales.

Dave said...

does everyone know about this mekons album "fear and whiskey"?

Mark said...

Murray-Nishikori is fantastic. Both guys teetering on the brink of disaster and then victory. Back and forth, back and forth.

Mark said...

Nishikori was terrific. Aggressive going to the net and forcing the action. His serve and volley game was the difference.

zman said...

My kindergartener's school is already trolling us to make a class basket to be raffled off at a silent auction at an "evening event." Proceeds will fund new playground equipment. Why can't they just hit me up for $20 and call it a day?

zman said...

Stan Wawrinka like purple I guess.

Squeaky said...

Hi Gheorghies. Working real hard on the lemons to lemonade thing. Not too successful. But good beer definitely helps. Or so I've been told.