Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Dropping a massive double deuce

Wow, let me get to this right away. The Indians beat the Yankees 22-0 last night, at the Stadium. Tell me there wasn't some poor guy wearing a Vizquel jersey who didn't have 22 ounces of Bud poured on him, while suffering a wave of profanities that would make Richard Pryor blush. The Red Sox now stand 3.5 games out of first, and I know a particular pint-sized supporter who doesn't know how excited to be. I love this - I can't wait for a September wrought with tension and frustration, because I know the Red Sox and those damn AL West teams aren't going anywhere. I could sit here as a Yankee fan and proclaim the sky is falling, because good god, a 22-0 thrashing at home is fucking ridiculous (on that note, I think John Kruk seriously wants to beat up Esteban Loaiza, and honestly, I'd paid more to see that than any heavyweight title fight). I can only hope 22-0 is an aberration, no matter how bad a pitching staff the Yankees have pieced together (and looking at the stats, the Yanks staff is atrocious - the Team ERA is 4.72, and despite the media claiming the Rangers pitching is what will cost them, their team ERA is only 4.50, and they have Chan Homer Park!). A moment of reflection: Last year, on July 27th, the Red Sox beat a certain team 25-8. That team, managed by Hume Cronyn's son, went on to win the World Series. I'm just saying.

No comments: