I’ve written previously that the birthplace of Vince McMahon, John Coltrane and Michael Jordan is a purple state that’s been gerrymandered and re-districted of late to glow red. Republicans hold a 71-49 advantage in the state house of representatives and 30-20 edge in the state senate. Yet as recently as 2022, the state’s Congressional delegation was split evenly 7-7 with Republicans and Democrats.
But the state legislature monkeyed with district maps ahead of the 2024 election and resulted in 10 GOP seats out of 14, despite less than 53 percent casting votes for Republicans.
Hmmm, you might say, that doesn’t appear to be proportional representation. Fear not: they weren’t finished. After President Reflecting Pool called on Republican-led states to change the maps so that more elephants will be elected to Congress, the state drew new lines last year that will likely result in an eleventh GOP rep. To do so, they carved up all eight of the state’s majority-Black counties, which were concentrated in NC’s First District, and splintered them among several conservative-leaning districts (your counter-argument about blue-state gerrymanders is duly noted).
Similar moves are being played out in several other Southern, conservative-leaning states, with the tacit backing of the U.S. Supreme Court. SCOTUS has chipped away at the 1965 Voting Rights Act in recent years, most recently in Louisiana v. Callais, essentially ruling that race-based voting districts are unconstitutional, partisan gerrymandering is perfectly acceptable, and good luck proving that race is the cause of any sort of voting or representative shortfall.
Meanwhile, Republicans who control North Carolina’s state and county election boards want to move early-voting sites away from college campuses and to reduce Sunday voting. Both could impact student and Black voters, who tend to vote Democrat.
![]() |
| Boliek. Yeah, this tracks. |
For his part, Boliek claimed that pushback is typical partisan griping from Democrats after power shifted from their party to the opposition. He conveniently omitted that legislative scales were tilted to assure said Republican control.
So where’s the hope, the glimmer of possibility that me and my Tar Heel State brethren aren’t sentenced to one-party rule and representation? Well, the governor’s mansion is a good place to start. Stein was elected comfortably in 2024, which marked the third consecutive gubernatorial election that a Democrat won. In fact, all three of the state’s top office holders, Stein, Lieutenant Gov. Rachel Hunt and Attorney General Jeff Jackson, are Democrats. The Republican-led legislature has done its darnedest to neuter the governor’s powers in recent years but both Stein and his predecessor served honorably.
Speaking of his predecessor, two-term former Gov. Roy Cooper is running for the open Senate seat that Republican Thom “Unnecessary H” Tillis will vacate at the end of his term. Tillis last summer chose not to run for re-election after opposing Donald Trump’s One Big Beautiful Bill because of its cuts to health care and because of increasing discomfort over being forced into GOP lockstep with all things Trump.
Cooper gives Democrats a solid chance at flipping the seat and narrowing the Republicans’ 53-47 Senate majority. He is polling ahead of GOP candidate Michael Whatley, the former chair of the state Republican party and chair of the Republican National Committee in 2025, a Trump endorsee who has never held public office.
Cooper is running a simple, folksy campaign whose primary slogan is Make Stuff Cost Less. He refers to his campaign schedule as the Make Stuff Cost Less Tour. He doesn’t rail against Trump and keeps the rhetoric lukewarm. A favorite refrain is, “For so many North Carolina families, there’s just too much month at the end of the money,” which is about as close to glib as he gets.
He governed mostly center-left and without scandal, so attempts to portray him as some sort of radical will likely fall flat. The primary GOP accusation against him thus far is: he’s a Democrat, which for many is disqualifier enough. Republicans will sink a fuckton of money into the fall campaign because it’s a contested seat, and the race figures to be tight because, hellooo, purple state. Anyway, not necessarily sturdy limbs on which to climb, but these days you take what you can get.



glen hansard died in a motorcycle crash. awful.
ReplyDeleteFucking motorcycles. Motherfucking motorcycles.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I see someone on a motorcycle and think, 'that seems fun'. But not fun enough for me to risk getting one.
ReplyDeleteMy stepmom gave my dad a motorcycle for his 40th birthday. Honda Nighthawk. Apparently he'd told her stories about riding one when he was in college, and she surprised him with it.
ReplyDeleteAt age 22 I was trying to finally graduate from college, and a pair of other extended-stay students (Flynn & Ern) were doing the same. We forged a plan to drive across the country in the spring of '93 after graduating in December. On motorcycles!
My dad taught me how to drive the Honda, and he agreed in head-shaking principle to let me take it 'cross America. I'm still surprised by that.
Then 3 things happened:
- I didn't graduate in December. (Dammit!)
- Ern got a job and Flynn enrolled in grad classes.
- I drove the motorcycle 55 mph and nearly soiled myself. It's so clearly, easily susceptible to injury and death. F this, I thought.
Clearly I would have died. I'm careless and reckless and oblivious at various times. I have blind spots. I drink. A lot. Those two guys drank as much or more. It was a terrrrible idea undone by circumstance rather than prudence. Whew.
And then one of my favorite friends ever died on a motorcycle 25 years ago this month.
My fraternity big brother. Rootsy's big big big big big brother. One of a kind beloved soul.
Hence my profane outburst. My apologies for the depressing shit. nbtyrsd
We should expand the house to combat gerrymandering. I think.
ReplyDeleteDespite my love of all things automotive I've been on a motorcycle once, as a passenger, when I was about 11 or 12 years old and I immediately realized that there is no margin for error on your part or the part of anyone else around you. I've been unafraid to do some stupid stuff in a car but you will never get me on a motorcycle.
We're a more sensible lot than you'd expect around here.
ReplyDeleteHas Zman ever been on a horse?
been humping boxes and furniture down two flights of stairs helping my kid move out of her apartment. we’re gonna have a conversation about how to pack a medium moving box.
ReplyDeleteAre they too full or too empty?
ReplyDeletetoo full and too heavy
ReplyDeleteBooks?
ReplyDeleteI thought you were supposed to sell your unused books back for weed money at the end of the semester. No?
ReplyDeletenot books, just random crap
ReplyDeleteThis first time I helped zwoman pack for a move I arrived at her apartment and she proudly showed me the extra large box she assembled and packed herself. With books. It was like moving a piano. I used this as an opportunity to explain the physics of moving as we took the books out and put them in the aptly-named book boxes and then packed her linens in the extra large box.
ReplyDeleteI have never been on a horse and I don't see why I ever will, my car is much faster and it doesn't leave shit in the driveway.
I had different priorities. I sold my books and went to Captain George’s.
ReplyDeleteWhen my wife and I were moving into our first house we had to get a bunch of my stuff out of storage. First trip from unit to truck, her brother and I brought a bed frame and mattress and loaded it in the truck. My wife came right behind us with two lamp shades.
learning to play "Lightning Bolt" on the guitar. thanks orf rock!
ReplyDelete