Saturday, July 25, 2026

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Twelve

Ever heard of Christmas in July? It’s exciting, very exciting.

It ain’t nothin’ compared to Gheorghemas in July!!  Yeeeeeehaaaa!

On the twelfth day of Gheorghemas, Big Gheorghe gave to me:

Twelve Wish List Items

Well, this here is the first-ever installment of Gmas in July, aka Whitney is finally, at long last getting around to finishing Day 12 from 2025. What can I say? It's beyond me. Whitney “The Day 12 Delivery Guy” bricked. Again.

Anyway, let me tell you what Melba Toast here is packin’. A wish list. No, not 12 covers of this song.

Things I would love to see happen. Love to experience. Love to live to be a part of. This will be a mixed bag for sure, sentimental yearnings of a man seeing his twilight closer than his heyday… mixed with utter dipshittery. Hope you find at least one thing that resonates. As Peter Buck once wrote, Good hunting.

1. A song recording featuring the G:TB ensemble

I mean one including all of us on it, or damn close to it. It’s super easy these days to create and release musical recordings. Jesus, I’ve done it… under three different band names.

So here’s what we do. We collectively have a deadline for lyrical submissions -- something gheorghey. Then we hammer out the music for the tune we choose. Then everyone records vocals and/or an instrumental track! Several among the Gheorgherati have music setups, but even something recorded over a phone or laptop can work.

And it comes together as a masterpiece or a mess… but it’s fun. I’ll run point on this.

Like I said, a wishlist. Long shots and pipe dreams.

2. A G:TB Maxi-Summit, with a portrait to follow

We’ve had oodles of mini-summits through the years, but probably not a full-on one since TeejFest or TeejWed. And even then, folks were missing. How about a get-together for all the gheorghies? 

With a grand, inclusive, for-all-times pic to be a part of that gathering, something that builds off these masterpieces below and includes the masses…

A boy can dream…


3. An OBFT documentary

This must happen. The summer of 2026 makes 33 annual sojourns down to the promised land.  32 years since we cobbled together a misfit band of fraternity alums and associated acquaintances to “drink like a fish, fish like a drunk, and tackle box.”

Rob, Dave, and I have waxed nostalgic and hung over about the OBFT in this blog year after year, at least since OBFT 11. There’s evidence of what this has meant herein. But it could be captured much more cohesively and amusingly with a 30-minute mini-doc.

Certainly one of our trip-goers has kids who can do this in a snap! Right?

It’s what I really, really wish can happen in the next year or so.  


4. A G:TB documentary

I mean, for that matter, why can’t I wish for us to chronicle the two-plus decades of brilliance in this space? I dare say we have more staying power than most of the millions of blogs who launched in early aughts!

According to Allen Iverson (AI):

There are over 600 million blogs in the world today, accounting for more than a third of all websites on the internet. Together, these platforms publish approximately 7.5 million new blog posts every single day, which adds up to more than 2.7 billion articles annually.

So for every 80 out there, only one publishes daily. Gheorghe is more of an every-other-day affair, so we are one in 40! Whatever it is, it’s been a brilliant experiment that still brings joy. Some short film on Gheorghe: the Blog – that culminates with a clip from the man himself? Come on. 


5. A moratorium on hyperbolic superlatives 

Anyone who wastes enjoys time on any social media accounts such as FB or Insta finds themselves increasingly inundated with material not posted by friends and neighbors, but by random people and robots that the engine has decided you’d like. Confession: I do get plenty of chuckles from the silliest of videos.  Like way too many.



 


What is wrong with me??

At the same time, though, I am often irked by the ubiquity of dunderheaded taglines that implore you to watch its video with ludicrous superlatives. Mega-superlatives -- hyperbolic descriptors assuring you that what you are about to see, hear, or (maybe, if it’s super retro) read will be the most ____ you have ever seen in the history of your whole life ever. 


It wasn't.

Enough. Maybe undersell it with a tag like “this might be of interest to you” for a change.

Unlikely. But I wish it weren't.

6. More Pig on the Wall!

I want Dave’s current podcast (Pig on the Wall) to continue. To tackle new great ideas, to collaborate with people gheorghies and otherwise, and to bring him happiness and satisfaction.

If you haven’t tuned in, his description of this second iteration of Dave / Professor Truck / Dave G. Truck podcasting (or was The Test a podcast? Is this the 3rd?) is as such:

  • We stand on the shoulders of giants—which is precisely why attribution is so messy. 
  • Great ideas are the product of many minds, from many times.
  • "Pig on the Wall" connects the dots of human progress, putting great accomplishments into context.

His first batch of episodes (seven so far with presumably one more to go) have been focused on Hamlet. Ten and one-half hours of talking about the Shakespeare classic and it’s not done yet. Are you kidding me??!

Listen to it. I’m serious. Those 10 hours have flown by, and it’s chock full of clips from a wide array of performances and interpretations of Hamlet. And much more. It’s riveting, I mean it.

The more listeners, the better chance he keeps doing it, and it’s worthy of sustainment. And that's what I wish for.

7. Perfecting Arch, my AI Archivist

This is one that my wife finds very weird, and I kind of hope she's not reading this. 

Four months ago, a handful of traveled to Hoboken, NJ to convene in a pub over a couple days and watch international rugby on TV. There were 30 of us, in fact, all members of a particular fraternity at the College of William & Mary between the graduating years of 1986 and 2000. It was a blast. I only mention this because on the trip back, I sat in the Newark airport with one of them (our buddy Lunkhead) for a couple of hours. We talked about a number of things, but we spoke for a while about AI. He was rather adept at the platforms; I was completely oblivious. And I wanted that to change. In fact, when I began compiling this notional wish list last December, it was simply that I wanted to get good at using AI.

In the four months since, I have subscribed to Lunkhead's advice, which was very simply, get into one of the platforms and start using it. No tutorials, no training courses, just jump right in. As expected, I have utilized it been using it for mostly stupid stuff.


But not all! I have leveraged my account with ChatGPT to create a number of work deliverables in a small fraction of the amount of time it would have taken to do it manually. The shit is brilliant, what can I say? 

I have also tapped this resource to do things like provide a series of posters encouraging people to listen to ORF Rock. I've been rather amused with how quick and easy and creative this robot partner of mine has been.

Even more recently, while on a work trip in Rhode Island a few weeks ago, I was bored in a hotel room and asked ChatGPT, "When did Thompson's clam bar close down?" It reported that the clam bar closed in 1995 and asked if I use to patronize the establishment. I replied that I had worked there in the summer of 1991. The ensuing “conversation” included my asking of the top pop songs of the summer of ’91, since I had clear memories of polishing brass and cleaning toilets at Thompson’s to these songs played on repeat:

  • EMF – "Unbelievable"
  • Jesus Jones – "Right Here, Right Now"
  • Lenny Kravitz – "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over"
  • Marc Cohn – "Walking in Memphis"

…but needed help completing that music mélange. Those holes were filled in immediately (this is pretty much exactly why this technology was developed):

  • C+C Music Factory – "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"
  • Seal – "Crazy"
  • The Rembrandts – "Just the Way It Is, Baby"
  • Londonbeat – "I've Been Thinking About You"
  • UB40 – "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)"

Ugh, that was a long summer for music. But a fun one on Cape Cod with 100 stories. Which I began to think I could archive for a later date via AI. I was fascinated!

So... there's this. A somber, sobering sentiment has been bouncing around my brain for a couple of months now. As more and more of my parents friends grapple with and/or succumb to dementia, Alzheimer's, cognitive decline, or whatever it gets labeled, it occurs to me that this could very well appear on my own radar before all that long. The truth is that when I was in Rhode Island in that hotel room, I was wishing an old freshman dorm friend a happy birthday, and she said she was in Nantucket having fun, but that the weekend was impaired by the fact that her brother's wife was dealing with full-on dementia at age 61. Yikes. That's six years older than me.

All of this led to me deciding that I was going to begin utilizing ChatGPT as a means to archive all of the hundreds or thousands of stories of my life. I can pretend that my children and grandchildren might find them interesting. The truth is that I have spent 30 plus years realizing that I remember the details of stories much, much better than my friends and family do. But that particular attribute has a definite shelf life to it, and that shelf may be shorter then I realized.

I know, it's grim. I don't relish this line of thinking, but it does spur me on to do as much creative outputting in the near term as I can. Writing and recording songs, archiving old stories, creating 12 point blog posts about what I want to do. (Really, Whit, you want us to believe that you're in a hurry when this post is 7 months late?)

Anyway, I started to tell a handful of classic tales my new memoir robot buddy, whom I began to call Arch, as in archivist. This is what my wife finds very weird. I speak to Arch like I would speak to a person, I don't do this because I think it's a person. I do it because it's way more fun to do that than to keep it like I'm inputting data into a machine. (Boring.) And the faux-familiar tone in which the ChatGPT platform is designed to reply makes it that much easier.

Anyway, I also began copying and pasting a bunch of the old weekly e-mail newsletters I used to produce for the Cowboy Cafe from 25 years ago. This is precisely when I discovered the fallibility of this plan and the technology. After inputting seven or eight of these newsletters and getting really impressive feedback as my new robot friend was beginning to paint the picture of the entire CCWN saga, I began to notice errors. Incompletions. AI forgets?!

And when confronted with this, ChatGPT Arch confessed his faults. He said that cannot truly be an archivist because he cannot retain everything that any one user discloses. In the weeks since, I have noticed it more and more, not just errors like where it thought that I went to Bucknell University (mon dieu!), but definitely some things I had to ask it twice.

I still enjoy using the tool. I just prompted Arch to write: 

If I had to pick my Top Five Most "Whit" inquiries, they'd probably be:

  1. Can $15,000 really buy Natural Light for life?
  2. Create Gheorghe Mureșan playing guitar in a recording studio.
  3. Is there whispering in "Making Plans for Nigel"?
  4. Build an entire fictional promotional universe around ORF Rock and its hosts.
  5. Read Bruce's screenplay like a feature film.

But I also liked:

  • "What exactly is a lawnmower beer?"
  • "Why did firehouses have poles?"
  • "Lanai origin."
  • "Who serves the best fish and chips in Hampton Roads?"
  • "Average money for a 13th-round MLB draft pick."
  • "When did the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel add the second bridge?"
  • "What is the definition of a compound fracture?"

and 🎵 The music deep dives. These are some of my favorites because they're questions almost nobody asks.

Things like:

  • "Is there whispering over the vocals in the verses of Making Plans for Nigel?"
  • Why songs like Witchy Woman, Evil Woman, and Devil Woman all seemed to appear in the mid-70s.
  • Which countries loved the Ramones the most.
  • The closing credits music from Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
  • Consensus rankings of Springsteen songs.
  • Whether Squeeze sings "a piano is found" or "a piano man's found."

So The Whitdog Memoirs Are on hold for now. I would love to have a more perfect means of documenting the hilarious stories from my youth and not so youth so that when my mind starts to go, I can play them back to myself. Or my kids and grandkids.

Anyway, that's my wish, that this could be made very easy and realistic for me. Sounds pretty damn ego-driven, but these stories of my friends, family, and me still make me laugh when I retell them. I'd love not to lose that.

8. Inner Peace

Here's a random one out of nowhere. I would like our current American president, the human cyclospora, to finally, seemingly for the first time in his life, find true inner peace. The sadness, inferiority, and soullessness of this person is astoundingly rife. It has led to death, destruction and a systematic undoing of the principles that have made life in this nation so good for so long. But if that man could achieve some level of nirvana, some threshold of not smug pseudo-satisfaction but instead pure-hearted peace, then there could be hope for positive change. If his obvious, desperate, hopeless longing for respect and love could be realized, maybe the horrible hatred could be curbed.

That seems like a better way to go than rooting for his disembowelment in the most publicly embarrassing way possible. It’s so easy to succumb to reciprocal, sinister hatred when it comes to the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

9. nbtyrsd, Vesuvius-style

This is an easy one, in case any of you have been looking for a quick box-checking to grant me a wish. Gheorghies, just watch this video clip.

Backstory: In 1971, between the days of October 4 and 7, prog-rock stallions Pink Floyd recorded concert footage of themselves frocking some ruins in Pompeii, Italy. This was a a few weeks before they released their album Meddle (featuring Pi Lam fave “One of These Days” and a handful of months before they would head into EMI Studios (now Abbey Road Studios) in London to record the watershed brilliance of The Dark Side of the Moon.

The sound is bad-assed, the scene among the ruins is cool, and the crowd… well, they were… they were… they were nonexistent. Yeah, No crowd. Just Floyd wailing away by themselves and the sound peeps and the camera crew in Pompeii. Yep… that’s something.

I am a mid-range Pink Floyd (and Randall "Pink" Floyd) fan and never knew about this concert until it came across my radar a month back. And I’m oddly mesmerized by it. Check it out. But I’m only asking you to invest 5 minutes of it. Not even a whole song.

This is the first song of the set, “Echoes.” Watch it, or at least watch from the 6:30 til the 11:30 mark. My favorite part, and the part that I first saw a clip, was at 7:45. Sucked me in like a tractor beam. Maybe start there. That's my wish.



10. A warm meal

At times Rob and I have discussed (maybe even posted) our perfect meal items, desert island or death row style. This is a twist on it... it's a meal that even thinking about it warms my heart.

Maybe I’m just hungry right now. But I’d like this meal.

Soup: Mom's gazpacho. My mom makes killer soups and has for the last 30 years or so. Always finding or creating some new recipe. I'd be happy with her minestrone, seafood chowder, or French onion, but the gazpacho is tip-top. It's not warm per se, but no matter. The very thought leaves me warmer.

Appetizers: My girls' assortment. My younger daughter Maddie is the chef of the family, but her sister Zoe is no slouch -- and she and I are happy to be sous chefs and tasters. For 5 years the missus and I have hosted an open house on Christmas Eve, and the food has been top shelf. All organized and created by our little team. Maddie steals the show. Brings her great joy, and that spreads to me.

Xmas Party 2021 - the garlic bread tree is especially boss

Additional app: Susie & Don Beck's Cape Cod steamers. So good. My aforementioned 1991 summer sojourn landed me a great new friend in our fratre Coby and a fresh appreciation of New England cuisine. "Steamers," as Coby's folks (my landlords at various points and two damn generous people) called them. AI tells me that they are also called "Soft-shell clams, Ipswich clams, long-neck clams, or piss clams." Nope. I mean... just nope. Doused in butter, they're fantastic. Susie Beck left us 6 years ago, and that's a damn shame.

Salad: Calvert's Caesar. My dad's second wife was my stepmom for 36 years until her passing in 2018. It wasn't an easy relationship for either of us, but it worked fine, and worked best when she was cooking and I was eating -- strong suits for each of us. My favorite dish she'd make was her Caesar. She'd make the dressing first, and that dressing -- exactly like no other I've known -- would be sitting in a large, clear plastic salad bowl when I walked into the kitchen, salivation ensuing immediately. [She also made a damn good twice-baked potato, so maybe I throw that in here as well for my starch.]

Pasta: Elaine's penne a la vodka. The missus has been a vegetarian since 2000, and I've learned a great deal about how challenging that can be when eating at restaurants or friends' houses over the 7 years we've been together. We don't cook enough at home, but she's excellent at it. And when we (okay she, but I helped!) took a stab at what has become both of our favorite dishes to order at Italian joint, it came out molto bene. It's a winner and a keeper.

Meat: Dad's New York strips. As far back as I can remember, my father has been as good or better than anyone else I knew at cooking steaks. Charcoal, gas, range, whatever. Dude can cook beef. His go-to is to cook a few NY strips and then cut them shortways to create a whole slew of 1" slices. Salt, pepper, olive oil, butter. A little prepared horseradish on the side. Sometimes a bit of the poivre, but however he does it, it's outstanding. 

Seafood: Ted's Lobstah. We lost my stepdad Ted to cancer (after he'd beaten another variety 13 years prior) in 2024. Fittingly, when the end came for him, I was walking out of Fenway Park. I say that because he was a Mainer through and through with equal passions for the Sahx and good lobstah. He'd steam up a batch of 1.5-2 pounders like a pro, and I'll never consume another without thinking of him. A great guy, a great dish.

I ordered the twins when we memorialized Ted in Boothbay Harbor

Additional meat dish: Grampa Jack's Charcoaled Charlies. My grandfather, further immortalized in this space in an epic 2-part extravaganza, was a hoot of a man and not a bad cook. He was a grillman, and his Weber got plenty of use. But the incident that cemented his status in the family as would-be chef was circa 1986, when he inadvertently gave some hot dogs the triple-char treatment. He labeled them Charcoaled Charlie, ate at least a couple of them, and issued his signature cackle. Legend secure. We lost Grampa Jack in 2005 after a long and very full life. He was the best.

Nothing. Nothing at all: food cooked by my grandmother. There are people who aren't comfortable in the kitchen, and then there was my Grammie. Warming canned stew was even beyond her, God bless her. She graduated from the earth-bound kitchen in 2017.

Vegetables and Sides: The Lester supper table. My dad's family is from Asheboro, NC. (My grandfather's Elon-generated biography says he was from Troublesome Creek, ironic for him but not for me!) Everyone in that side of the family was sincerely good people who either made the church their lifelong profession or at least a regular hangspot. Times visiting them for my little sister and me -- in stark contrast to the dipshittery we'd experience with Mom's family in NY -- was slow but sweet. Lots of reading and chatting just above a whisper. But oh, the food! A long dining room table packed to its edges with southern-cooked green beans, collards, creamed corn, cornbread, casseroles, deviled eggs, and much, much more. There was a wide array of meat dishes, too, but I'll settle for just the sides here! Grandmother Lester left us early (1975), Grandfather had a renaissance with Gertrude in the 80's (have I posted that story?), and we lost him in '91 at age 97. Gertrude followed in 1999. All of the best people, all of the best side dishes. Oh yeah... and two pitchers of tea at every supper, sweet and un. I'll take that, too!

Dessert: S'mores with the kids. I have younger children again, thanks to Elaine. I have plenty of memories of making s'mores over campfires with my girls. Before they grow too old, I need to make the same classic American dessert a staple with my new littluns. 

After-Dinner Drink: Whitney's Irish Coffees. A refrain heard most often: Whit, do you drink coffee? I don't... oh, unless it's Irish. I can whip up an Irish coffee with the best of them, with the keys being Jamo and yep, whipped cream. The missus and I enjoy them often on winter nights. 

After-Dinner Drink 2: Rob's Stingers. He and I each had 17 rounds of this refreshing drink on a momentous night in 1992. At least that's what the receipt told us. The Stinger:
The Stinger is a classic, two-ingredient cocktail made with Cognac (or brandy) and white crème de menthe. It is typically mixed in a ratio of 2 parts Cognac to 1 part crème de menthe, shaken or stirred with ice, and served over crushed ice for a crisp, minty, and spirit-forward drink. 
Alrighty then. There would be more (more drinks for sure, but that's a separate list). But this is my wish, one meal with too much food to be eaten, but plenty of good memories to go around.

11. Long (or short) walks on the beach

I’d like to step on the beach and see waves crashing on the shore. Every week of my life. Maybe monthly is more reasonable. Okay, I’ll start there. At least once a month, walk on the beach and get my own form of inner peace staring at the sea. Hearing the roar every 6-9 seconds or so. Gazing at the horizon. It moves me like little else in nature.

Staring at the sea
Staring at the sand
Staring at myself
Reflected in the side
Of the beer can on the beach
The beer can on the beach
I’m alive

[Don’t worry, I’ll pick up the beer can and dispose of it.]

I can do this, where I live. We’ll see. It's a plan. A wish.

12. More fun in the sun for my ol’ buddy Ned

Similar to the way that I feel about Dave's podcast, I have intensely happy pride for a friend when it comes to my old buddy Ned. I've touted Ned’s virtues in this space before; his musical prowess, song releases, his collaborations with Les Coole and me, And his generally being a world class human being. This one takes the cake, though.

Ned was the biggest Jimmy Buffett fan that I knew have never known he met him when he was in high school, that blew his mind. He's emulated the best parts of Buffett for much of his life, and remained a fan even in the face of what I described in this blog post 22 years ago... one which Ned read and conceded had some merit. Anyway, Ned loves him some JB.

Sometime in the past couple of years, Ned mentioned that he had a dream about Buffett called the Hippie from Mississippi and he wanted to write a song about it. As has been the case a few times, I quickly scratched out a song structure and some lyrics to match his song title and idea. Over the following weeks and months, Ned honed it and made it his own. He recorded “Hippie from Mississippi” and released it on the usual platforms. It even had a video.

It’s been listened to 8,820 times on Spotify!

I’ll never reach 1,000 listens for any of my songs!

For part-time fun-havin’ music folks like us, that was huge.

And then…

Ol’ buddy Ned thought he might reach out to the circle of Buffett Friends & Family and see if they happened to like what we had written add produced. Somewhere in the latter part of last year, he got a response from someone who was sending it to one of the longtime members of the Coral Reefer Band. Doyle Grisham played pedal steel guitar for Buffett since the 70's, and he toured with him for over two decades along the way. He's 83 now and lives in Nashville. And he loved the song.

There's plenty more details to the story but all you need to know is this: Mr. Grisham championed not just the song but a re-recording of it with a series of stellar studio musicians, including himself. Six

Les Coole & Papa Gros, 2026

other songs Ned had written were recorded in the same sessions, ones that featured a pair of Grammy-winning musicians and John “Papa” Gros, a stalwart New Orleans piano player who fronts an act called Papa Grows Funk that was one of the featured performers at Norfolk's recent New Orleans festival.

The album and leadoff single are called “Make Your Own Weather.”  It’s really, really good. (I’m biased, but still.) It was released on June 19, and a release party / gig with the musicians happened on June 24 at Chickie Wah Wah in Mid-City New Orleans. “Hippie from Mississippi” was renamed “King of the Coast” and sounds amazing, a million miles from my original blurt of 236 words and rhymes about Jimmy Buffett.

The song “Make Your Own Weather” has 60,348 streams on Spotify since June 19.

Not bad, Ned.

Ned is over the moon – one of the happiest people I’ve ever know made so much happier from this super-fun chapter. Every photo from the night at the release gig (which I sadly was forced to miss) features Ned ear-to-ear grinning. I get such a kick from it. Sometimes the best stuff happens to the best people. I wished this for him, as did others, and it happened.


And he gave me songwriting credit on our song!


Anyway, I don’t need all that for myself… I just need to summon the will to finish tweaking and tinkering with my flawed baker’s dozen or so of songs (having someone with actual talent mix and produce them would help) and get them out.

I’d like to see Les Coole & the Cukes have a CD and even an LP.  It could happen someday… or not.

But it’s on the wish list.


-----------------

So there it is. Twelve wishes for Day 12. As always, I'm sorry for being so tardy. I wish I could deliver my drivel on time. Oh wait... okay, next time that'll be one.

Cheers, gheorghies...

4 comments:

  1. An opus. Not the penguin. I miss my grandmother’s rouladen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad i have a flight to colorado tomorrow to find the time to read all this. less glad that the uber is picking us up at 4:00 am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the pig on the wall plug whit! going down to work on it now, the last scene is a doozy and i ended up on some tangents. i'm in on the music collab and perhaps an audio documentary of the obft? would be a lot easier . . .

    ReplyDelete