Saturday, April 20, 2024

People Are Occasionally Pretty Neat

Coming to you live from the ancestral homeland of Brewster, MA this weekend, where we're gathered as a clan to celebrate my great-aunt's 100th(!) birthday. Clean living and serving others does a wonder for a body, as it turns out. I may not be so lucky.

Speaking of serving others, I came across this neat little story in the WaPo a few days ago. It starts like this, "Sam McGee picked up the phone in 2022 and dialed the same number he’d called every year for decades. He had the same question he’d been asking for 20 years: Could his family buy back his late grandmother’s Ford Mustang that had been sold in 1973 to pay for her funeral expenses?"

That's a zinger of a lede that turns into a bitter (mostly) sweet tale of family, persistence, and a community-minded individual. Enjoy this award-winning documentary students at Samuel V. Champion High School in Boerne, TX produced about it.

11 comments:

zman said...

It's dusty in here. I mean literally--we're redoing the kitchen and we moved all the furniture out so the floors can be refinished leaving behind more dust and animal hair than I care to admit. But this story choked me up too.

Whitney said...

Really good stuff

Mark said...

Old Mustangs hit me in the heart. My old man drove a 67 mustang until my late high school years.

In other news, Go Magic!!

Whitney said...

RIP to one of Rob’s one of the 25, Dave McCarty

rob said...

he’s gonna meet howie schwab in front of st. peter - gonna try to stump him

rootsminer said...

About to go watch my son’s professional ballet debut. Why do I have butterflies?

Shlara said...

love the car and the story

Marls said...

Rootsy - post a completely biased review! Proud papa moments are welcome.

rob said...

oh, yeah

rob said...

our large adult son robbie avila followed his head coach from indiana state to saint louis. our boy's a billiken!

rootsminer said...

Perhaps I’ll find time to write a post on the occasion, but my slender young adult son impressed the hell out of me. I don’t know what I could work myself up to with three days rehearsal, but it falls far short of what he did.