Sunday, February 04, 2024

Grammy Open Thread

I don't much care for award shows, but this time of year I tend to watch a bunch of 'em, because my wife is a big fan. The Oscars are her Super Bowl, which is a thing she actually said a few years ago when I bitched about having to watch them. Fair enough.

The Grammys are the one exception for me. Not so much for the awards, but because there are often really excellent and diverse performances. So sidle up next to me here on the virtual couch and let's dig on these folks:

Burna Boy
Luke Combs (with Tracy Chapman, who'll be performing live for the first time in years)
Miley Cyrus
Billie Eilish
Billy Joel
Dua Lipa
Joni Mitchell (with Brandi Carlile)
Olivia Rodrigo
Travis Scott
SZA
U2
Stevie Wonder, Fantasia Barrino, Annie Lennox, Jon Batiste (In Memoriam tribute performances)

To get you into the mood, here are a bunch of Tiny Desk shows featuring tonight's performers:






13 comments:

Marls said...

Really fantastic list, Donna. Love the familial connections running through all of it.

My paternal grandmother loved Blenko glass. She had lots of it in a house by the beach where she spent her happiest times. I never knew who made it.



rob said...

wapo's been reading gtb: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/08/01/swedish-death-cleaning-method/

Donna said...

Blenko glass has had documentaries on PBS. They're this mid-century modern style stuff that is too cool. But they started before mid-century. At one time they had over 100 employees. I think now it's something like 18 glassblowers. But they've been gaining steam again. It's worth a visit to their website. And if you ever come across a Blenko lamp, they're nearly priceless (some sell for $1000s). I want one very much but not willing to spend more than in the $300s. One day maybe. People talk about finding a Blenko "in the wild" - at thrift stores and antique marts for $10 bucks and how much they love it! I have lots of vases and bowls, a decanter or two.
Where we lived in Eastern KY was actually only 2 hours away (not far from Huntington and Charleston is little ol' Milton). That's how we went there so much. Watching them make stuff is very cool!
More than you want to know, I know.

Whitney said...

I do appreciate your ignoring my feelings on the Grammys

rob said...

i gotta be me, man

Shlara said...

love your list of things Donna!

and, coach kilff is a possibility for the WFT OC? I may have to pay attention to them now.

rob said...

killer mike won three grammys pre-telecast, then was handcuffed by lapd and taken out of the arena. so we’re off to a flying start.

rob said...

tracy chapman looks and sounds phenomenal. luke combs has some pipes on him.

Shlara said...

Love that Tracy Chapman got the appreciation for that epic song. I wore out that album in college.

And WELCOME TO DC COACH KLIFF!

Marls said...

Happy 69th birthday Rusty Kuntz!

zman said...

I didn't watch the Grammys but I read that Jay-Z complained that Beyonce doesn't win enough, in support citing the fact that she has more Grammy awards than anyone ever. Sensitive thugs, y'all need hugs indeed.

rob said...

to be fair to hov, he was specifically complaining that she's won more grammys than anyone ever, but has yet to win album of the year. and he made a point of saying that he tells the truth when he gets nervous, which he claimed to be on the stage.

Danimal said...

watched an hour or so last night and this morning a few of the performances. good to see billy joel back, one of gtb's favorites. i thought his tune was better than i expected, both his tune and his tune. welcome back billy!