Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Hello, Dolly

So the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame did its thing, and I missed it this go-'round. I mean, I read about it, thought about it, voted on it, and intended to write about it. Whoops.

More to come on that in a soon-come post.

In the meantime... Dolly Parton. As discussed here last year, she was nominated and then inducted into the RnRHoF's last class. Despite her being pretty f-in far from rock and roll. 

Oh well... she handled it with the grace and style that everyone has come to expect from her.

And then, she one-upped the whole damn thing and did this.

On November 17, Dolly Parton will release an album called, plainly enough, Rockstar. The cover will feature... well, one of these images, presumably.




Interesting. And here's the track list:
  1. “Rockstar” (special guest Richie Sambora)
  2. “World on Fire”
  3. “Every Breath You Take” (feat. Sting)
  4. “Open Arms” (feat. Steve Perry)
  5. “Magic Man” (feat. Ann Wilson with special guest Howard Leese)
  6. “Long As I Can See the Light” (feat. John Fogerty)
  7. “Either Or” (feat. Kid Rock)
  8. “I Want You Back” (feat. Steven Tyler with special guest Warren Haynes)
  9. “What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done for You” (feat. Stevie Nicks with special guest Waddy Wachtel)
  10. “Purple Rain”
  11. “Baby, I Love Your Way” (feat. Peter Frampton)
  12. “I Hate Myself for Loving You” (feat. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts)
  13. “Night Moves” (feat. Chris Stapleton)
  14. “Wrecking Ball” (feat. Miley Cyrus)
  15. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (feat. P!nk & Brandi Carlile)
  16. “Keep on Loving You” (feat. Kevin Cronin)
  17. “Heart of Glass” (feat. Debbie Harry)
  18. “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” (feat. Elton John)
  19. “Tried to Rock and Roll Me” (feat. Melissa Etheridge)
  20. “Stairway to Heaven” (feat. Lizzo & Sasha Flute)
  21. “We Are the Champions”
  22. “Bygones” (feat. Rob Halford with special guests Nikki Sixx & John 5)
  23. “My Blue Tears” (feat. Simon Le Bon)
  24. “What’s Up?” (feat. Linda Perry)
  25. “You’re No Good” (feat. Emmylou Harris & Sheryl Crow)
  26. “Heartbreaker” (feat. Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo)
  27. “Bittersweet” (feat. Michael McDonald) 
  28. “I Dreamed About Elvis” (feat. Ronnie McDowell with special guest the Jordanaires)
  29. “Let It Be” (feat. Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr with special guests Peter Frampton & Mick Fleetwood)
  30. “Free Bird” (feat. Ronnie Van Zant with special guests Gary Rossington, Artimus Pyle and The Artimus Pyle Band)
Huh. Prolific for sure. And a wide smattering. Would've liked to see more punk than Debbie Harry and Joan Jett, but no matter. I'm intrigued.

I did see Ronnie Van Zant's name there and thought for sure somebody bungled this and that it was little brother Johnny (singer in the bastard version of the band for 35 years). Nope, they're using RVZ's chops from the 70's as mixed in with Dolly and the late Gary Rossington. We'll see how that goes. 

Well then. Case closed. Just in doing this a year after she tried to take herself off the Rock Hall ballot for reasons she shouldn't have had to explain, Dolly Parton is a rock star. 

I say that -- sounds unheard. Yeah, this could be truly terrible, sonically speaking, but I dig the effort. And frankly, I wouldn't bet against Dolly.

16 comments:

OBX dave said...

Guessing only two: Dolly and William Shatner.

Donna said...

I say Dolly is a rock star for sure!
And thank y’all so much for your good thoughts —the surgery went super well! 4.5 hours. Now recovery. The hospital is my home for the next several days.
What’s y’all’s take on Huggins’ mess —will WVU fire him?

Whitney said...

John Fogerty needs to watch out or he’ll get sued by Fantasy Records for the song on this album.

Mark said...

WVU should fire Huggins but they won't.

zman said...

They reduced his salary from $4.2M to $3.2M. So they quarter-fired him.

rootsminer said...

Fogerty got his rights back, I believe.

I think this looks like a trainwreck, but Dolly may pull it off better than I suspect.

Aside from Fogerty, who I missed at first glance, there is one tune on this track list that I am legitimately excited to hear. Any guesses?

Whitney said...

Guessing not the Kid Rock song. Jordanaires?

zman said...

rootsy is all in on Wrecking Ball. That’s his jam.

Danimal said...

Shrimp beat Tide! Shrimp beat Tide! And in the bottom of the 9th in dramatic fashion - on a balk.

rootsminer said...

I do kinda like Wrecking Ball, but that's not the one. Not Kid Rock or the Jordanaires.

I am highly confident that the track I'm anticipating will be the best on this album.

rob said...

it’s night moves or magic man

rob said...

my little local squad hosts columbus crew in a us open cup round of 32 match this evening. vamos loudoun!

rob said...

20 minutes in, loudoun down 2-0 with a player sent off. just like they drew it up.

rootsminer said...

Rob has the winner. It’s Night Moves.

I detest the music of Heart with an inexplicable passion.

Whitney said...

To beat a super dead horse, listen — with headphones — to Magic Man, Crazy on You, Straight On, Heartless, and yes, even, Barracuda. I’m serious.

rootsminer said...

I absolutely will not do that.