Monday, March 27, 2023

Gheorghasbord: The Madness

Mental wanderings regarding a particularly mad set of games from across the NCAA hoops tournaments.

While I can appreciate it when a villain really leans into it, I think we can all agree it'd be a good thing if LSU would stop winning games in the women's tournament. Kim Mulkey is, unquestionably, a terrific basketball coach. She's also, according to numerous sources, a homophobe and COVID skeptic. So I'd like it if the Tigers would go ahead and lose. The only real downside I can see is that it would rob us of funnies like this:

In what can only be an example of excellent work by the tournament scriptwriters, should Mulkey's LSU squad defeat the winner of tonight's Virginia Tech/Ohio State regional final, they'd either face Dawn Staley's dominant South Carolina or the incandescent Caitlin Clark's Iowa in the national final. Staley seems in many ways the anti-Mulkey - y'know, all woke and stuff. And Clark is amazingly fun to watch (witness her 41-point triple-double in the Hawkeyes' regional final win over Louisville) and would be a terrific foil for LSU. 

There are people (many of them CBS executives) bemoaning the fact that the men's Final Four is likely to get poor ratings because none of the teams left standing are bluebloods with national followings. These people are shitty college basketball fans and should perhaps go back to rooting for the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers. I don't know all that much about Florida Atlantic, San Diego State, UCONN, and Miami, but I know that all four teams play their asses off, and that none of them have reached this point by luck. I *expect* UCONN to win, because they have the most talent and they're playing at an extremely high level on both ends of the court. But I also expected the other four teams in the regional finals to make the Final Four. If you'd like my betting advice for the final three games, just say the word.

Actual view from the spot we're staying in the USVI
As it relates to the games, three of the four regional finals were damn scintillating. On the heels of the Kansas State/Michigan State, Gonzaga/UCLA, and Colorado/Duke (women) regional semis, that's five of the best games you'll want to see in the span of three days. Just a little bit sad we've only got three men's and five women's games to go.

My men's Final Four experience will be a unique one - at least the last part of it. I'll watch the national semifinals from my house, and then I'll jump on a plane the next morning headed to St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. I'll just miss my man Whitney on his way back from the British side of the islands. I'll spend some time Sunday and Monday reconnoitering locations from which to sip boat drinks while watching hoops. I'll suffer through it.

6 comments:

rob said...

hey, guys! oh, big gulps, huh?

rob said...

took my dog to the vet this morning. as we were settling up and preparing to leave, a massive newfie walked in, took a look around, and shook his ginormous head. sent up a shower of dogslobber that rained down all over the lobby, including on me and my dog. comical.

rootsminer said...

That's a pretty auspicious start to the day, no?

Mark said...

Saint John is beautiful. My wife and I did 3 days there after spending 7 in Tortola on our honeymoon. Would definitely go back (though I preferred Tortola as it's less developed). Grab a drink and some food at Woody's. There's also a really nice Italian spot we ate at one night that I'll try to remember the name of.

Whitney said...

We did Tortola Friday night, Scrub Island Saturday, Virgin Gorda Sunday, and we cruised up here to Anegada yesterday. Sailing down to Jost Van Dyke tomorrow. Fucking killer locale with ideal weather. Seafood and rum drinks galore. Should I bother coming home?

Mark said...

Jost Van Dyke is great. A bar called the Soggy Dollar (because everyone docks their boats offshore and wades on to the beach/bar) is a great spot on Sunday afternoon. We loved the Baths in Virgin Gorda. Amazing natural beauty. We were lucky enough to have our own jeep in Tortola so we cruised all over the island, hitting just about every beach and bar possible.

The wife and I have been planning to get back for a couple years now but life's gotten in the way. Gonna have to just say 'fuck it" and make it happen sooner rather than later. Pretty jealous of you, Whit.