Friday, September 27, 2019

Let It Go, Man

After one of the most potentially consequential weeks in recent American history, it's time for us to reflect on where we are, and prepare for what's to come.

Maybe it's time for that for some people. For us, it's Friday afternoon, and we found something that links together a lot of stuff that we like, so we're gonna share it.

Justin Trawick is a prolific DC-based musician and all-around good-natured performer. I've seen him play at my local joint a few times (shout out to the Tally Ho), and he never fails to give the audience their money's worth. He's the quintessential journeyman musician, fronting his band, The Common Good, hosting a podcast, playing solo shows, and relentlessly boosting the DMV's music scene.

Tim Kaine is the junior U.S. Senator from Virginia (and Lord in Heaven don't we wish he was the Vice President of the United States), a music fan, and an honest to Whitney FOGTB. (When I met Kaine last October during the Town of Leesburg Halloween parade, I told him of our mutual friendship with Whitney and his father, Harry. Senator Kaine offered warm regards for both, and confessed to actually liking them. Easy to believe about the father. Somewhat more surprising, the son. I'll leave out the part where I was dressed as Uncle Fester from The Addams Family when I made the Senator's acquaintance.)

Kaine is also an avid music fan who plays a mean harmonica, I'm told. Rolling Stone wrote in October 2016, "If elected, Tim Kaine will be the most music-savvy VP in American history." Fucking "if". Goddamn you, Rudyard Kipling.

That love of music is where this story gets interesting, from a Gheorghie perspective. 

Senator Kaine teamed up with Trawick and The Common Good as part of an event the former hosted celebrating live music. The song they chose is...interesting. Almost as much as the way Kaine described it. Enjoy.


Really wish that was our Vice President, folks. Really, really do.

30 comments:

TR said...

Pour some out for Robert Garrison.

rob said...

and for joe wilson

TR said...

And neat post. I don’t know this Trawick fellow. I saw David Byrne cover that tune at the Apollo many years ago. He twisted it into a World Beat song. Was great.

Whitney said...

Trawick is the real last name of what 80’s country star?

Whitney said...

Also, I just finished the Country Music documentary. It’s so choice. A+++.

Whitney said...

Also, while I should really really be discussing policy with TK, when I see him we end up talking music each time. He’s a bluegrass hound.

Donna said...

Husband and I loved the Country Music doc! Never been such a fan of the genre, but I’ve a new appreciation and who doesn’t love Johnny Cash?! I’m even using info about the hit “Don’t Get Above Your Raisin’” in my sermon intro this Sunday!

Mark said...

So much for Maryland as an emerging offensive juggernaut.

Whitney said...

The answer to the question, as Rob texted me, was Randy Travis.

Marls said...

Japan!

rob said...

the shizuoka stunner!

Marls said...

That sounds like Yokozuna’s finishing move.

zman said...

NJ Transit has delays at 8:30 am on a Saturday?

Whitney said...

There’s a tasteless quote you could use for the Robert Garrison news. Glad you abstained.

Whitney said...

Also, Z plugged me into the new Sturgill Simpson record. When I started playing it I sincerely thought I had hit the wrong album on Spotify. Holy shit. It’s mesmerizing and way way way out of left field. I told Z I hear Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Emerson Lake & Palmer, and the Black Keys, as well as 70’s disco. Z told me Sturgill said he wanted it to hit like a Wu Tang record. It’s a flang dang for sure.

Mark said...

That’s enough to make me listen. Thanks, Z. And Whit.

Kind of a shitty CFB slate this week. Guess I’ll create some interest with reckless wagering

zman said...

Re: Sturgill Simpson hitting like a Wu-Tang record (which bangs like a Ron G tape) and more:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/arts/music/sturgill-simpson-sound-and-fury.html

rob said...

damn, that album starts fast

Mark said...

Zoltan and I are similar in ways that are a bit eery at times. In this case its the Ron G tape reference. Vitas and I have described things as banging like a Ron G tape for 20+ years now. It’s an inside joke that we never tire of.

He also tried to buy me a Wu-Tang metro card earlier this week.

TR said...

My 9 y/o’s soccer team just had an 8-0 State cup win vs my hometown. Thankfully it was a home game, not a 1-hr drive. Was a home game. I fear our next round game will be down by Camden.

Whitney said...

Danimal, I think it’s best for (nearly) everyone involved if ND beats UVA by 50 today.

zman said...

Mark, do you also have a door mat that says "RHYTHM RUG"?

Mark said...

No. That’s a tremendous move by you. I do have Wu Tang doormat though.

Marls said...

The Doucherbowl in South Bend has been entertaining so far.

zman said...

I had to work in Manhattan today followed by a dinner. Either UN week brings all the pros to midtown or people dress like hookers now, I’m not sure which.

zman said...

Godspeed to the guy shitting in Penn Station right now. Better him than me.

Mark said...

Georgia signed three straight 5 star QBs. The two who transferred out are likely to be first round picks. Not sure what my point is other than that being pretty damn remarkable.

rob said...

nobody tell tr, but tribe men's soccer is 2-0 in conference play.

Mark said...

Pretty underwhelming day of CFB. Carolina could’ve saved the whole thing with an upset of Clemson. Im cool with Mack going for two and the win but he needed to have a better play in his pocket.

Mark said...

Pretty shocking that Josh Allen looks like hit garbage against New England.