Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Economics and the Second Amendment

DJ Trump recently announced that he will impose tariffs of 25% and 10% on imported steel and aluminum, respectively. The Dow dropped 350 points in response. Naturally, I plan to sue the President.

This isn't my idea--he had it first. Back in December 2017, Trump twat the following in response to a 350 point drop in the Dow:



I'm not sure what the exact cause of action against the President would be. Surely not negligence. If the President can't be guilty of obstructing justice how should I expect to be made whole for acts of mere Executive stupidity?

I think my best claim is infringement of my Second Amendment rights. Let me explain.

I went to arguably the most conservative law school in the country. Before classes started I was encouraged to read "Principles of Economics" by N. Gregory Mankiw, an economics professor at Harvard who was chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under George W. Bush. I actually enjoyed the book and I dredged it up for this post.

Here's how Mankiw explains tariffs:


The increased price of foreign goods under the tariff allows domestic firms to increase their price, thus resulting in overproduction. The increased price also results in underconsumption. Consumers (i.e., everyone who isn't involved with the manufacture of steel and who isn't the government) loses the benefit of quandrangle C, D, E, and F. This because the government reaps rectangle E and manufacturers take trapezoid C. If your eyes haven't glazed over at this point, you realize that the entire market--everyone involved in this situation--loses the benefit of triangles D and F. Thus triangles D and F are a deadweight loss--absent the tariff, D and F would have been consumer surplus. Instead no one had D and F. Thus the tariff acts as a tax. And these triangles are the direct result of the aforementioned overproduction/underconsumption. This jumped out at me 15 years ago. Seriously, look at my notes in the margin.


This is important because conservatives abhor deadweight loss--when Kudlow, Laffer and Moore are against an economic policy you know it isn't conservative. And if that doesn't convince you, the fact that Democrats and unions support the tariffs should.

I personally dislike the tariffs because as Mankiw explains "When a country allows trade and becomes an importer of a good, domestic consumers of the good are better off, and domestic producers of the good are worse off. Trade raises the economic well-being of a nation in the sense that the gains of the winners exceed the losses of the losses of the losers."

Does that last sentence sound familiar? It probably does. Conservatives always say that the government shouldn't pick winners and losers. Here's what Paul Ryan has to say about this:



Of course, Ryan also applauded Trump's move that helped keep Carrier's plant in Wisconsin. Cronyism indeed!

Anyway, the upshot of this tariff is that it will cost more to manufacture things that are made out of steel (and aluminum). This added cost will, of course, be passed along to the consumer. So expect to see an increase in the price of appliances, silverware, steel-belted radial tires, beer cans, cans of beer, cars and car parts, BBQ grills, BBQ grilling utensils, wire, pots and pans, foil, golf clubs, patio furniture, fencing, fencing swords, plumbing supplies, building supplies, nails, screws, brads, tacks, nuts, bolts, washers, garbage cans, bicycles, ladders, window frames, and mattress springs.

And things like guns and bullet shells. The President's steel tariff is really a tax on guns and bullets, making it more expensive for me to exercise my god-given Second Amendment right to bear arms. "Shall not be infringed" goddammit! I'm suing! And while I'm at it I'm going to claw back the money I lost in my 401(k) just like Trump said I should three months ago.

38 comments:

zman said...

This is a lot of words to say that we elected a socially conservative, fiscally liberal president. Also known as "the worst of both worlds" in my humble view. The closest modern analog I can think of is Rick Santorum except he really believes in the policies he espouses.

Whitney said...

Cans of beer?? Oh hell no.

rob said...

i think it’s inaccurate to ascribe any sort of fixed policy preference to this president*. he’s neither smart enough nor curious enough to have his own positions. he’s just kinda bumbled into a set of policies that line up with z’s description. he’ll say something tomorrow that’s radically fiscally conservative because he’s had a conversation with some economist from heritage.

rob said...

also, kevin love reads gtb.

https://t.co/7IOeJzxqTG

Whitney said...

First cans of beer, now this:

From WaPo's take on winners and losers from the tariff biz:

Losers:

Kentucky bourbon makers. Europe has already said if Trump goes through with the tariffs, the European Union will probably put retaliatory tariffs on American blue jeans and bourbon. Bourbon is a clear hit at the state of Kentucky, the home of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and a state that would stand to gain some jobs if Century Aluminum expands its operations there because of the tariffs. The European Union wants to counterbalance any job gains by punching back at Kentucky.

Danimal said...

Though I have zero basis for it, I feel fairly confident this tariff is not going to happen. Trump being Trump. I believe he feels he'll get some credit for the attempt with his base. Time will tell though, won't it?

Squeaky said...

I like the fact that the EU went after specific industries in states 'controlled' by Republicans. But I think there will be tariffs regardless of percentages.

Dave said...

nice post zman! enough with the fossil fuel guzzling fantasy jalopies.

and just to be fair and balanced, president obama did the same with a tariff on Chinese tires. i was really annoyed with his hypocrisy and said so much . . .

http://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2016/06/president-obama-explain-this-political.html

Dave said...

there's also a part of me that hopes that everyone starts putting tariffs on everything and we all start consuming less stuff. this endless growth mindset is going to ruin the human race sooner rather than later.

Whitney said...

Shut it, hippie

TR said...

Great post! I would never suck up and compliment your post just to get you to shovel my driveway b/c I’m in Texas. Would never do that. Great post. Really good job with all those words and all those points you made.

Squeaky said...

Wife has her book club over tonight. At this point they don't even bother reading let alone listen to the books. 5 bottles of wine down, 6 ladies.

Marls said...

Can’t you guys get Sam to come over and shovel?

zman said...

Don't worry, Tiara already asked me to bring my snowblower over so she can do some blowing. At least I think that's what that text meant.

Dave said...

i won't even deign to make a hippie noise pollution/fuel guzzling/air polluting comment about the snowblower . . . they should put a tariff on those things.

mayhugh said...

Of my various tools and doodads, gas powered or otherwise that I have for home maintenance, my snowblower may be my #1 prized possession. I don't have to use it much but it makes up its purchase price once or twice a year. The special gas it takes is insanely expensive so I only take it out when it's absolutely necessary.

2nd on my list is probably my edger. A weed whacker does like 80% of the work, but using an edger really shows people you care. And third on my list is my 12 pound maul. Whenever I need a break from the family I just announce that I have to go split some oak.

zman said...

Why does it need special gas? Is it a two stroke engine? I can't imagine it has a really high compression ratio unless it's also a Zamboni or something.

Shlara said...

Zman--you still have your textbooks?

zman said...

Yes. I'm not throwing out anything that cost over $100 unless it's broken.

TR said...

Zman has a two-stroke engine.

zman said...

But it's a straight eight.

zman said...

As opposed to TR's dogleg 5 transmission.

zman said...

In other news, zwoman is away at a conference (mercifully not in Texas with TR) and our babysitter bowed out due to the cyclone bomb snowstorm. Being housebound with two kids is ... challenging. No idea how people do this on a regular basis. Time stands still.

mayhugh said...

Does anyone else lose their mind when they hear someone say "vice-uh-versa"?

Whitney said...

I do!! I definitely do.

Whitney said...

I'm always tempted to go the opposite direction and casually use the phrase again in the conversation, but pronounce it in the traditional Latin, wee-kay where-sa. But that's just as obnoxious so I say nothing and judge.

And people who pronounce words of French derivation with a Frenglish accent like homage, which should be like "ommage" but somehow has become "o-mahj." Unless you're going to start rolling your r's in repertoire, stop that.

Like this:
https://youtu.be/7VnjqSZ7mBQ

Similar:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/enchilada/n9970?snl=1

zman said...

My stepfather pronounces crouton, croissant, chamois, al that French shit with a French accent. It's a little preposterous.

TR said...

I used the word detente in a research report today. I even pasted the word from a web search so I could have the accent in there. I italicized the bastard too. I'm eloquent as fuck.

Danimal said...

Agree w/these comments. I do give exception to the word "massage" though. I love using the UK pronunciation and exaggerating the hell out of it. I too love when other people do it. It pleases me to no end for some reason.

rootsminer said...

Zman, I'm balancing out your hardcore dad day. My kids are in Florida on a field trip, and I'm "working from home" this afternoon with my pale buddy Dale and a Champions League match on in the background.

zman said...

The snowfall rate is needlessly aggressive. I blew a bunch of snow so the mouth of the driveway doesn't ice up with all the clumps from the plow and 20 minutes later there's an inch of snow in the driveway.

I'm watching Zootopia. No beers. Yet.

Squeaky said...

It's been snowing here since noon. But nothing is sticking. I'm starting to doubt the call for 12" to 18".

Dave said...

an hour ago i posted a crazy rant about disconnecting from the machine (i've been reading too many environmental books lately) and after i posted, our house immediately lost power. so while i'm not the god, i'm certainly a god.

then we got power back. i do kind of like it.

zman, can i borrow your snow-blower? i will help pay for the special extra-polluting gas.

and i'm trying to end all my pedantry . . . lie/lay, nauseous/nauseated, pronouncing "forte" correctly . . . life is too short and people never learn, and they just think you're douche bag.

Dave said...

sorry . . . you're A douche bag (or perhaps THE douche bag)

zman said...

Any time! Mine runs on regular unleaded.

zman said...

And my generator runs on natural gas. You can't borrow it though. Enjoy the darkness.

Marls said...

Was it made before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular gas?

rob said...

hey, let’s take this conversation to the nsfw post the teej just dropped